ATV ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm stuck between buying an ATV or a tractor. Primary use will be pulling out trailered rounds off a tree lot. Not terribly hilly but swampy wet clay type slick stuff. Holds water well doesn't drain well. I've spent plenty of time on Tractorbynet and got loads of info there. My question is where do you get good unbiased info relating to ATV's -forums-websites-like years for certain options and creature features. I'm leaning towards a grizzly 660 only because that's the only one I have riden and liked it much. that and a trac skid steer because of the muck. I'm figuring I'd get more "play" out of the ATV then "work" out of the trac steer when not in it's primary use.
thanks in advance.
A

Last edited:
Angelo,

ATV's are much more universal in skidding and moving logs in the woods then a tractor in my opinion. I have (3) of them and a BX24 and the tractor is used once the wood gets to the processing location to cut, split, stack and cover. ATV's have their weight limits for dragging and hauling, but you can make (2) trips very quickly and haul just as much wood in the same time.

Now, for which ATV to go for.....that's the $100,000 question! The Grizz's tranny is based on a belt, and I have seen many of them bite the dust when really working a machine hard. They just don't seem to last, again, no opinion, actual witness to the failures. Yamaha and Honda both make beltless machines. Honda has NO belt driven machines in their line-up. The TRX500 Rubicon would be an excellent workhorse for your intentions. It has a straight rear axle (good for pulling and tugging) and a hydrostatic transmission, just like many tractors out there today. Those machines just run and run with little maintenance. I have attached a document on the transmission for your review, it's been around since the 60's and Honda was the original designer for the motorcycle industry.

Good luck with your purchase!

Craig

Angelo,

ATV's are much more universal in skidding and moving logs in the woods then a tractor in my opinion. I have (3) of them and a BX24 and the tractor is used once the wood gets to the processing location to cut, split, stack and cover. ATV's have their weight limits for dragging and hauling, but you can make (2) trips very quickly and haul just as much wood in the same time.

Now, for which ATV to go for.....that's the $100,000 question! The Grizz's tranny is based on a belt, and I have seen many of them bite the dust when really working a machine hard. They just don't seem to last, again, no opinion, actual witness to the failures. Yamaha and Honda both make beltless machines. Honda has NO belt driven machines in their line-up. The TRX500 Rubicon would be an excellent workhorse for your intentions. It has a straight rear axle (good for pulling and tugging) and a hydrostatic transmission, just like many tractors out there today. Those machines just run and run with little maintenance. I have attached a document on the transmission for your review, it's been around since the 60's and Honda was the original designer for the motorcycle industry.

Good luck with your purchase!

Craig

Props to ya Craig,
That's the kind of info i was looking for. didn't know about the hondamatic trans. are the belts tough to replace and are they designed to wear?. I could care less about tranny noise ('stereo' by Cummins is top 10 for me). Wondering if the Hondamatic is that solid that its sealed or is "unit only serviced"...R&R in other words.

thanks rep inbound.

Most belt drive atvs are pretty easy to change the belt. I have an old (1994)
polaris 350L that is 4x4 and it has been used hard by the previous owner. I know for a fact it skidded out over 100 cord. When I got it, it had 2300 miles on it, and I have no idea when the belt was replaced, but I use it for hauling a trailer with firewood all the time.

The hondamatic transmission is a great transmission. I had a rubicon with over 7000 miles on it, and it was still going. However if there is a problem, you replace the unit. The only problem I had with the one I had was the esp sensor would need to be replaced about every 1200 miles or so. No big deal.

They all have their ups and downs. A solid rear axle is a must for towing a trailer, but an independent rear gives you a lot nicer ride when at play.

A,

I think they are kind of hard to compare...apples to oranges if you ask me. Tractors can push, pull AND lift logs. They can pull HARD.

ATVs can pull, but nowhere near as much. If you want to go riding and play...the ATV is the way to go. However, there is NO legal riding in NJ, except on private property.

As far a brands go, I tend to favor a belt machine. Most modern belt driven machines have more power, ground clearance and superior 4x4 systems (diff lock) compared to the Honda. Don't get me wrong, Honda's are nice, but I think the competition has got them beat at this time. If the belt breaks on my Polaris, I can change it in 1 hour. If the tranny breaks on the Honda...it's gonna be BIG money.

If you like, come by and tool around on my ATV to see if you can do the things you need.

What type/brand of tractor have you looked at?

-Mark

A,

What type/brand of tractor have you looked at?

-Mark

So far I looked at this guys I know's M59....I keep waiting for him to turn around so I can liberate it from him :msp_drool: :monkey:

I got lots of time behind my buddies Cub Cadet/yanmar 30 hp loader that I like alot. I can use that anytime and figure we might have more use out of a ATV then another tractor.

Call me when you get a chance. I'm off next monday, maybe I'll come up and we can play if you're around. I'm putting together a BB 066 for no good reason other then to have around....It's #3 on the "before the weather breaks" list of saws to finish.

Tractor V Toy

Is their a real question here? I have a couple of Honda Foreman 4x4 quads that are great for pulling light trailers, spraying weeds, pulling a small drag, etc. But if I'm going to do any serious work I jump into one of the tractors.Own Kubota L4310 for the small stuff, Kubota L48 TLB for the mid stuff, Terex 620B extendahoe for the tougher stuff, rent a Cat 966 for the awfull stuff. Those quads might be a plus if the wife likes to ride / help......

I use both.

The diffeence is How hard do you want to work when you get stuck?

You can put a bigger trailer behind the tractor, but you'll get permastuck.
Smaller trailer on the Quad, but you can always winch out of anything you get into.

Winter changes things though, as when the ground is frozen, and the snow is deep, the tractor will get in and out of the woods, and the quad will be useless in snow deeper than a foot or more.

We have been more than happy with our Polaris 700 Military sportsman and beat the crap out of it on the farm. Swapped out the Belt at 1,000 Miles and it looked new despite LOTS of skidding,trailer pulling, brush jerking, and stop and go work.

Ever see a Blueberry harvester lug trailer? 1,200lbs or so when loaded, and our Polaris is used to shuttle them on sandy ground. Not a whimper.
Nothing against the Jap stuff, but the whole belt drive issue is an overblown myth.

Get both a quad AND a good little tractor.;)

LOL!!It's the only answer.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Dinger,
No doubt the answer is BOTH. But keeping light of some sort of fiscal responsibilty you have to start with only one. And I can trailer my buddies Cub Cadet there easily. I can't see a trac steer getting stuck though, Isn't that the reason for the track so that the weight distribution is so spread out it can't get stuck? I haven't driven anything on tracks yet, meerly read a few websites and ads ect. friend has an ASV that he swears can walk on water, turns water into wine and cures the sick.
unless Al Gore truely is a visionary and we are getting warmer-er cooler, then snow over 12" in these parts for more then a week is rare. This winter has been a very different experiance then normal.
Thanks

i have an RC- 30 it does walk through clay thats two parts water.....

I have Hammock land heavy on trees, light on sandy dry ground.

There is no comparison. The RC 30 will last me a lifetime.

One picture is worth a thousand words.........................

So what's the other worth? :msp_laugh:

Seriously, that second pic w/ trailer had it all. Quad, tracks, trailer, portable winch, skidding cone, chainsaw, hookaroon... what did I miss?

I bought a 2001 Yamaha Big Bear used. It has a shaft drive and gears. No belt or auto tranny to mess with.
A friend had an older Big Bear that was a 350, mine is a 400. His had a 2 speed transfer case, which was nice in the snow when pulling a lot of weight. Mine just has an ultra low first gear.
Yeah, you have to shift the gears which isn't as nice as just pushing the throttle and going, but it's an auto clutch and should last a long time without trouble.

Dinger,
No doubt the answer is BOTH. But keeping light of some sort of fiscal responsibilty you have to start with only one. And I can trailer my buddies Cub Cadet there easily. I can't see a trac steer getting stuck though, Isn't that the reason for the track so that the weight distribution is so spread out it can't get stuck? I haven't driven anything on tracks yet, meerly read a few websites and ads ect. friend has an ASV that he swears can walk on water, turns water into wine and cures the sick.
unless Al Gore truely is a visionary and we are getting warmer-er cooler, then snow over 12" in these parts for more then a week is rare. This winter has been a very different experiance then normal.
Thanks

Tracks are AWESOME!!!
But they do get stuck now and then, and it ain't pretty when they do.
They also need constant tinkering.

If you can borrow it, and don't mind replacing stuff ya break, and the owner dosn't mind, Hell yeah!!! LOL!!

I thought Jersey got snow normally. My bust.
Hell, if ya don't get squat for white slop, a plain old Quad would get you by nicely.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I use ATV's have a smaller Honda 400cc and an Arctic Cat TBX 700 for the heavier stuff.. but we use ours mostly for hauling wood out of customers property to roadside.. so different work. If it really get big we bring in Bobcat.. if it won't do it then we have problem..!

So what's the other worth? :msp_laugh:

Seriously, that second pic w/ trailer had it all. Quad, tracks, trailer, portable winch, skidding cone, chainsaw, hookaroon... what did I miss?

The Can-Am is pretty and for lookin' at... I see the Arctic Cat is for WORKING!!!:msp_laugh:
Both very nice rottiman...

One picture is worth a thousand words.........................

Never tried track on our cat.. for our bush work a lot of rocks and swamps.. so was never sure if they would be as easy to handle as the tires.. so we have stayed with tires.

Picking up a new cat in 2 (or 3) weeks.. :) 2011 TBX to add to the pride.
Got too many other things going on at same time.. so not 100% sure on delivery time yet.

Tracks are AWESOME!!!
But they do get stuck now and then, and it ain't pretty when they do.
They also need constant tinkering.

If you can borrow it, and don't mind replacing stuff ya break, and the owner dosn't mind, Hell yeah!!! LOL!!

I thought Jersey got snow normally. My bust.
Hell, if ya don't get squat for white slop, a plain old Quad would get you by nicely.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Oh we get snow, but it don't last more then a week or two then melts off usually. This year we have had snow cover for 7 weeks or so. that's not normal for us. even the deer are complaining...

Latest posts

Back