Baily's 6401

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This idea seems like an awful big production to save a few bucks.

List prices on the P & C kits are: $191 for the 7900, and $150 for the 6401. With a list of $150, the best you will likely do on E-bay is $100. So, you will still have spent $91 on top of the $500 for the Makita 6401. So we have a savings of $99. Oh, but wait a minute. Baileys charges $25 to ship the saw. So now our big savings is down to $74. And you still have to rebuild the saw, and then sell the 6401 P & C on E-bay. All to save $74. Your time isn't worth any more than this?

This idea seems like an awful big production to save a few bucks.

List prices on the P & C kits are: $191 for the 7900, and $150 for the 6401. With a list of $150, the best you will likely do on E-bay is $100. So, you will still have spent $91 on top of the $500 for the Makita 6401. So we have a savings of $99. Oh, but wait a minute. Baileys charges $25 to ship the saw. So now our big savings is down to $74. And you still have to rebuild the saw, and then sell the 6401 P & C on E-bay. All to save $74. Your time isn't worth any more than this?

+1
Come on, I have been known to be cheap. But I would still get the 7900 new.
Warranty on a Dolmar would be a good Idea.:popcorn:
Besides I don't see a power/ weight benefit. In this type of mod.

I don't even realy need a 7900 and hardley a 6400. I was thinking buy the pretty blue saw, see if I like it, blow it up, get bored, get drunk or just feel like spending more money then maybe make it a 7900. So why spend 200 more on something I don't need and won't use to its full potential. Knowing me the saw would stay a 6401 for ever.

Meh what am I thinking anyways. I just blew 300 on an mm55 and cant use it cause the ground froze in the idiotic april weather.

Meh what am I thinking anyways. I just blew 300 on an mm55 and cant use it cause the ground froze in the idiotic april weather.

Yeah, it's going to be colder for Easter than it was for Christmas. Getting some snow showers right now. Somebody ought to do something about this global cooling stuff.

Global Cooling

Yeah, it's going to be colder for Easter than it was for Christmas. Getting some snow showers right now. Somebody ought to do something about this global cooling stuff.

Yea we ought to run more non emissions saws and engines to stop GLOBAL COOLING.

Scott

Not,

ROTTEN TREE SCUM!!!

:buttkick: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: I think ya twinked his binkie and he's all aside of himself actually I think tha Sawitch is puttin tha hurt on him for the heated handle 5100s!!!!!!!!!!!!! and hes takin it out on us!!!!!!!:blob2:

Oh yeah what manual said too i said on tha second post????????????????

Exact same carburetor for all 3 models 64cc 73cc and 79cc. as far as the approx 1 turn setting and how they make it work ancient German secret lol.
But really, its not new to Dolmar they used the same carb in 60cc and 68 cc models for years and years.

Scott

I finally put the 7900 jug in my used 6401 today. Had to cut the limiter tabs off the high speed jet. Opened the low jet a good half turn and the high jet at least a half turn to get it off the coil rpm limiter. Threw on a new 28 inch square chisel chain and she really threw some chips!! Now will have to see how it holds up to my modded 7900 and 372...

I felled a fir today with the saw. Had to lean out both the high and low to get it to run right. Will have to check to see how far out each is now turned...as well as tach it to make sure it's just below the limiter. Anyhow, with a 28 inch bar and full skip, it seems to cut a bit faster than my old Walkerized 372 with 24 inch semi skip new chain installed. Impressive for being bone stock and fresh jug!!!

Took three tries to get a line set with the Big Shot...and had a track hoe pull assist to ease it away from some ~130kv transmission lines..it had a 3-5 degree side and back lean. $175 for maybe 30 minutes work...then I limbed the tree a bit and cut some firewood, just to test and compare the saws.

Latest posts

Back