Bar combo for Stihl 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best combo for Stihl 441?

• 18" and 25" bars

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • 18" and 28" bars

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 20" and 25" bars

Votes: 57 41.6%
  • 20" and 28" bars

Votes: 59 43.1%

• Total voters

Wild Knight

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Kinda curious what you guys think about the best combo of bars for firewood and cleanup jobs. Rough estimate: all eastern hardwoods - 70% of the wood is 14-24", 15% is <14" and 15% is >22". There seems there are a lot of choices in bar length for the pro saws. Seems to be a lot of overlap in use too, e.g. you can cut most anything with an 18" bar that a 20" bar will cut. Why own both sizes? A 24" bar will do the same, but you begin to lose some chain speed and nimbleness. So on and so forth. You get the picture...

What combos get used the most in your experience?

If you have read this, please take two more mouse clicks and vote in the poll.

Last edited:
441 bar length

I would suggest going with a 20 or 22 inch bar only. A 20 inch bar will cut 40 inch wood if you remove the bumb spikes. Sounds like for the limited number of cuts you would make it would take you longer to swap bars then to make the few cuts from both sides it would take to drop the big trees. I have a 24 inch bar on an 064. It works great. But on my 044 the 20 is the clear choice for balance and power. there is probably only 4 maybe 5 cuts on the larger trees you would cut befor the taper goes down enuff to make it in one cut. The 441 is a very nice saw to cut with the 20 inch bar. If you plan to cut in cold weather (below zero) I would hold off on the 441 for a bit. Many Intake manifolds cracking in the cold and even the new upgraded part is doing the same. Might want to wait and see what happens

A week ago on Saturday I helped a buddy cut up a 40"dbh oak that blew down in his daughter's driveway. I took my 361 and my 441 with a 28" bar. I was extremely pleased with the way the 441 handled it, I really didn't know what to expect but it was great with the longer bar. I have a 660 now so I doubt that I need to use it again with that bar but it is nice to know I can.

Kinda curious what you guys think about the best combo of bars for firewood and cleanup jobs. Rough estimate: all eastern hardwoods - 70% of the wood is 14-24", 15% is <14" and 15% is >22". There seems there are a lot of choices in bar length for the pro saws. Seems to be a lot of overlap in use too, e.g. you can cut most anything with an 18" bar that a 20" bar will cut. Why own both sizes? A 24" bar will do the same, but you begin to lose some chain speed and nimbleness. So on and so forth. You get the picture...

What combos get used the most in your experience?

If you have read this, please take two more mouse clicks and vote in the poll.

I have 20 and 25 for 440 magnum, I just leave the 25" bar on most of the time.

Wild, after reading your poll here 20"/24". ;)

A 24" bar will handle 26" or even 28" wood in a single pass with a little over bucking.

:cheers:

I like mine with the 25"/24" bar. It is the only bar I run on it right now. It feels very balanced with this set up. I am interested in what it would be like with the 28" or maybe even the 32" just for fun. Stihl recomends 16" up to a 32".

20" bar and you might need a 28 down the line. Go with a 25" and you'll be covered as long as the extra isn't getting in your way while you are bucking up 12" material.

For firewood, I'd stick with 20" and put the extra cash into a few more chains. Felling and bucking techniques will get you through most any project up to 36" dia.

Get a 20" for the small jobs and a 32" for the "rare" big one.

I can agree with Brian on this... my "big" saw is a 460 - but close enough to a 441, and my biggest bar is a 28" I've only needed the 25" once so far (eastern hardwood -mostly oak- also)

20" normally gets it done for me... but it's good to have options.

Thank you for the comments thus far.

You ad a 441 you have a great setup. It is the same saws I use every day to make a living with. I use a 25" all the time and carry a 32" in the truck for the big stuff and run a 270 with an 18" for limbing and ground work. Trust me, you wont be sorry and you'll cut anything you run into.

I run only a 25 inch Stihl bar on my 441. Does everyting I need it to do. I am worried that the small amount of bar oil it puts out would ruin a 28 inch bar!!!! I know, ..... I need to get the heavy duty oiler.

Latest posts

Back