Bar groove not uniform

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I threw a chain on a Makita EA4300. The chain is definitely damaged, some links won't swivel. Will have to try to get that freed up. But I bought a new chain and it won't go into the bar groove. Sighting down the groove, it looks to be pinched in a section. How can I fix this? I do not have a specialized tool for this.

EDIT: This is a Makita 15 inch bar and chain that came on the saw. Also... here is a tool for closing a bar rail and making it uniform but I don't need to close it, I need to open it in that pinched section... link: bar rail closer from Madsens

Right, OP.
Eyeball the tight spot and put the screwdriver in the slot and tap the top with hammer.
and work it along gently.

It's very easy to do.
Then check everything with your rail puller if you have one.
If not and it's sloppy in spots then with a mallet OR I use my axe, work it slowly on a solid surface from each side.

Sounds like you bent your other chain.
Take a guess how I fix that.
Yeah, with my axe.

Yeah, as Del is saying, you can always group the chain up while the bar is in a vice (or otherwise) and periodically run a few drivers through for fast gauging.
Best thing is to go to your saw shop and ask them to give you an off cut of a few links
Nice little tool and much easier to work with.

Never use a wore chain to set the bar rails.

What! Oh you want to open the bar rails?

Yeah, I got nothing.. lol

Right, OP.
Eyeball the tight spot and put the screwdriver in the slot and tap the top with hammer.
and work it along gently.

It's very easy to do.
Then check everything with your rail puller if you have one.
If not and it's sloppy in spots then with a mallet OR I use my axe, work it slowly on a solid surface from each side.

Sounds like you bent your other chain.
Take a guess how I fix that.
Yeah, with my axe.

Also, sometimes you need to take your flat file to remove the burrs off the chain drivers when chain carnage occurs.

Hold the bar in a vice, mark the pinched point, put a 2mm piece of steel either side of the pinch
as you close the vise on it, this will keep the flat good side of the bar flat against the vice,
and leave a gap on the other side caused by the 2mm pieces clamped either side of the pinch,
this will allow the pinch to expand into the gap when you pry against it with a strong screwdriver,
the bar being clampted will also keep you from prising the bar rails apart along the bar other than
in the offending spot.
You can get bery thin dremmel cutting wheels if you fail to prise the bar quite enough, just run away
the last offending spot, dont go at it with too much energy and heat it up when rubbing down with
a cutter, if you have to go that route at all, it should prise apart.

Also, sometimes you need to take your flat file to remove the burrs off the chain drivers when chain carnage occurs.
Good point for educational purposes. Although chain thows are less common in general with new bar and chain, what you say is also particularly more common with new bar & chain AND in longer lengths.

The bar is harder than the bures so you just loosen the chain so it sages a few inches and the centripetal force will suck it up and take off the bures in about 1 seconds of throttle.
If it still jams then go looser and repeat.

If I ever filed off the bures or loosened my bar nuts to put on a chain then I would have starved 30 yrs ago.

Ok, I got the bar in good shape now and finally spinning the new chain nicely, did it with screwdriver and hammer on a vise. Thanks!

As for the damaged chain, it seems it is not just some burrs on the drive links but also, there are several tie straps where they do not swivel on the rivet; they seem to be in a bind. Anything else recommended for me to try to salvage this chain other than just running it on the saw loosely?

Ok, I got the bar in good shape now and finally spinning the new chain nicely, did it with screwdriver and hammer on a vise. Thanks!

As for the damaged chain, it seems it is not just some burrs on the drive links but also, there are several tie straps where they do not swivel on the rivet; they seem to be in a bind. Anything else recommended for me to try to salvage this chain other than just running it on the saw loosely?
Get rid of that chain, theres no telling what shape a badly pulled on rivit is in, or a tie strap that could snap,
not all broken chain incidents go without injury.
I spent an hour freeing up links on a bicycle chain, it only sat a few months, I only used my hands
and penatrating oil to free the links, nearly cut my self to the bone with the amount of pressure
required to move the links, but I was determined not to give in.
Sold the bike as this was too big for me, fellow got from front door to my gate 30 feet away before
breaking the chain, he was not happy, if he slipped off the pedals because the chain broke in heavy
traffic, then what.
Some things are not ment to be.

Yeah, the 'burr thing' was meant for futue awareness, I do believe. I was just adding my views.
Although a bent chain does go hand in hand with pinched rails..I can't be sure that is the issue here.. As to say a bent chain should not be ceased. Put the chain on. Will it stay in the grove? If so then dump some oil on the bar and run it up. Look down the bar as the chain spins and you will see if it's got a bend and will feel the thump through the sprocket.
If it's not bad then it should loosen up.
I have had bad chain that people bought rolls at low cost. From what I have seen, It was not a localized problem.
Quality chain will not do that even if it goes dry on oil in my experience. In this particular case, I threw it in the garbage.
Is it tight on the master? How long did you run it for, what kind of chain? Is it all gummed up with pitch?
Phil, or others guys may be able to offer you more if you put up some pics. I mainly stick to what I know and who I know & what works for my application. I generally don't see a lot of different stuff like many.

Latest posts

Back