Barber chair!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for Randy... Not really relating to this thread, but about how many degrees off centered, "straight", would be considered a "heavy lean"? My knowledge of terminology sucks...

In the logging woods, it means that gives you little recourse, you will need to fall it with the lean.
You can shift some heavy leaners with jacks, but if you miscalculate, you might just lift it off the stump and the tree will go where ever it wants. Sawing the back-cut first and beginning the lift is a reasonable option.
For head leaners, a deeper and steeper face-cut is indicated and care taken on the back cut to avoid a noisy event.

In the logging woods, it means that gives you little recourse, you will need to fall it with the lean.
You can shift some heavy leaners with jacks, but if you miscalculate, you might just lift it off the stump and the tree will go where ever it wants. Sawing the back-cut first and beginning the lift is a reasonable option.
For head leaners, a deeper and steeper face-cut is indicated and care taken on the back cut to avoid a noisy event.

I like that term... "Little Recourse"... Now, by "shift", you would be referring to a few degrees to the left or right of the lean??? If so, how many degrees would be "reasonable", vs how many have you been able to get done without disaster?

How would you cut a leaner, post oak, with a rotten spot in the bottom. The bark is missing with a weird growth in an attempt to grow back. You have to go almost 3 1/2 feet to get a round, clean trunk. The tree has to come down but now I've gotten afraid to cut it. If I can swing it about 15 degrees I'll be ok. Otherwise I'll have a busted chicken house. I don't know what to do.

How would you cut a leaner, post oak, with a rotten spot in the bottom. The bark is missing with a weird growth in an attempt to grow back. You have to go almost 3 1/2 feet to get a round, clean trunk. The tree has to come down but now I've gotten afraid to cut it. If I can swing it about 15 degrees I'll be ok. Otherwise I'll have a busted chicken house. I don't know what to do.

Boom truck... Rotten trees suck... :msp_thumbdn:

Post a buncha pics.....let the experts give a buncha advice. Most likely first bit will be "hire some actual real professional with ten million in insurance to drop it"

How big is the coop? You could block it up, slip some logs under it and drag it outta the way. Or do you mean an actual like 500 foot long chicken house?

Me, being a dumb farmer, I'd proly throw a heavy line and a comealong on it and pull it over after just a little tiny amount of cutting....or maybe not. I'm getting spooked same as you now.

found another picture

Looking at the bore cut from the other side of the saw, I almost missed the line coming in a little low. But from looking at the stump, I think it worked out fine.
229985d1332262860-2012-03-18_09-17-43_46-jpg

229984d1332262852-2012-03-18_09-18-05_1-jpg

View attachment 229984
View attachment 229985

Looking at the bore cut from the other side of the saw, I almost missed the line coming in a little low. But from looking at the stump, I think it worked out fine.
229985d1332262860-2012-03-18_09-17-43_46-jpg

229984d1332262852-2012-03-18_09-18-05_1-jpg

View attachment 229984
View attachment 229985

A little hi or low is forgivable, alot you got problems. Still rememberyou dont want to cut through your hinge.(not that you did, just a reminder) It will seal your saw in even on a bore cut. I would be more worried about that kind of dutchman left by opening your top cut up. Keep your corners crisp and all is well. A nice wide face > is great in hardwood. I dont think it would matter with a bore cut. But if closes on one side before the other it could still chair or split. Maybe even spin on the stump causeing other problems. Keep at it bore cuts are my favorite.:rock:

A little hi or low is forgivable, alot you got problems. Still rememberyou dont want to cut through your hinge.(not that you did, just a reminder) It will seal your saw in even on a bore cut. I would be more worried about that kind of dutchman left by opening your top cut up. Keep your corners crisp and all is well. A nice wide face > is great in hardwood. I dont think it would matter with a bore cut. But if closes on one side before the other it could still chair or split. Maybe even spin on the stump causeing other problems. Keep at it bore cuts are my favorite.:rock:

Big Rep sent your way.

It's great fun!!! Where in the state you cutting?

I am up by Whiteman AFB here in Missouri. Little town called Windsor. The land I will be cutting on is 850 acres belonging to an Army Air Corps WWII POW. He likes me because I am his neighbor and Active USAF as well.

I am up by Whiteman AFB here in Missouri. Little town called Windsor. The land I will be cutting on is 850 acres belonging to an Army Air Corps WWII POW. He likes me because I am his neighbor and Active USAF as well.

Very good... Be careful of those twisted and bent buggers... Use mechanical assistance where you can...
I like to drop em' most of the way, then jerk em' off the stump with the loader, and drag em' out to where I can work them up from all sides...:rock:

Back