best 60 bucks spent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why you should always wear your chaps! I could only imagine if he wasn't wearing them :cold: what could have happened

I almost wonder if a thin metal plate could be sewn in there or if it would be miserably uncomfortable. Seems like a shame to toss them since they've only been worn 1/2 hour total. Yes, I do realize new ones is the real right answer, but it's my nature to try to fix things if possible. I almost guarantee he'll get new ones.

Almost no one around here wears them. Because of that, up until last year I kind of thought you guys were way over protective.

Then I finished cutting a limb and stepped right into a spinning chain. Got a 6" cut in my jeans on my upper thigh.

My wife took one look and said get some chaps or sell the saw.

I felt pretty stupid wearing them the first couple times. Now I feel pretty stupid for not getting them sooner.

Most chaps cost less then a ER deductible. And they're way cheaper then missing work.

I don't have and probably never will have chaps. I do however have a pair of carhartt's that I wear as designated chainsaw pants. They have a nice 18 inch cut in them from the ankle at 45* angle to the knee. This is a reminder to myself to pay attention. Not very convenient though as that tear funnels all the chips and dust into my boot.

I've written this before, so I ask forgiveness from you guys who have read this. I really hope this is encouraging for guys who don't wear protective gear. Chainsaw accidents are gruesome and I've seen them happen to even the most experienced guys. I've seen the pics and heard about the results. I even talked to an emergency room doc who said that even if the limb can be saved, there's bound to be a nasty infection and often bad scar tissue.

When my son was born, 12 years ago, I took a vow to never run my saw without my chaps and helmet. There have been plenty of times when I was tempted to skip things -- because it was hot, I was lazy, just one quick cut -- but a vow is a vow. I'm safe because I owe it to him and my wife.

When I ran EMS for 19 years on my local volunteer fire dept in a less-than-friendly part of town, I wore concealed body armor. Vests are hot & not super flexible, but if you need one, you need it now. Never "tested" the vest, but I wore it just the same.

Back