best 60 bucks spent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine r just a bout wore out. Need to get another pair and use the old pair for splitting. I don't cut without them.
I had a friend that had a chunk break off of a mushroomed wedge that went in and then followed his shin bone about 3 inches up under the skin. I suspect that chaps would have helped. Myself, I prefer to just keep my wedges dressed.

We don't have chaps over here. We have all types of pant versions. I get mine at a discount store that offers them once or twice a year for about 50-60€. I wait a few weeks and usually find a pair in the clearence corner for half price. So I get another pair. After a few years I just throw the old ones away.

On UV and Kevlar. Absolutely correct that UV and kevlar don't get along well, that is the reason why the protective equipment ALWAYS has "normal plastic"(typically some type of polyamid) as the outer layer. So nothing really to worry about. But I completly agree and as far as I understand is also mentioned often from the companies is a 3 - 5 year time span for occaisional users.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that washing machine is ok for max. 20 times(after that new chaps!!!), but the dryer is a BIG NO NO/FORBIDDEN/VERBOTEN.

The german KWF did a nice research work on this topic and even recomend that they should be replaced after 12 - 18 months the latest for daily users. Because they also found out that the kevlar protection decreases after contact with bar oil, besides other know problems. They speak of after 18 months of daily use a 50% reduction in protection!!!

http://www.kwf-online.de/deutsch/lohnunternehmer/pdf/arbeitsschutz/schnittschutzeinlagen.pdf

Also if you run an electric saw get chaps that are specifically rated for them too.

Do you know of any? I have never seen any rated for electric saws.

Philbert

I'll be honest, I don't. I do know 2 weeks ago my friends wife was using her electric saw and it ate right through the lower end saw chaps they owned. Not sure of brand. I'd guess the thickest pair of Labonville chaps would do the job. (10 ply vs 5 ply)

Like treebilly notes, chaps work by cutters snagging a hard-t0-break fiber, dragging it into the sprocket, and stalling out the saw. Most have a warning on the label stating that they are not effective with electric chainsaws due to their 'constant torque'. We did a 'test'/demo at a GTG last year with some outdated chaps and a 40V battery operated chainsaw. That saw has an overload protection circuit and 'stalled out' when the fibers got tangled in the nose sprocket of the bar.

I don't know if they might provide some protection in certain circumstances, like with the nose sprocket on the battery saw. I usually wear them anyway as a force of habit.

Philbert

Simply wear chaps or buy a wheel chair, it's that simple....other safety gear should also be mandatory, like saw boots or strap on covers...just ask me....

0414131527a.jpg

Latest posts

Back