Best light weight saw for limbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Non Mtron 201 T, I was referring to . Is that one MTronic?
I think it’s one of the early 201T’s really clean saw, he replaced top handle, and uses it at his home he runs the shop. He’s a really good Stihl mechanic. Said that I could take it and try it to see if I’m interested.

So go try it out and see what it runs like.
Sorry folks, some how I missed we suddenly are discussing a top-handle saw (MS200T), not the rear-handle version (without the "T").
Completely different balance and area-of-use in my opinion.
But as recommended, try it, if it is great, bargin with the guy and maybe buy it.
And then get start searching for a rear handle kit from @lone wolf or elsewhere...

Hello everyone! Just recently bought my first saw of my very own, a very well maintained MS 310 w/ 20”bar. My father in law owns 100 acres with about half of that in woods so trees are constantly needing trimmed and cleaned up. He’s running a 290 and a 170. Would like to buy a lightweight limber to help him. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
IMHO my go to saw is ol’painless Husqvarna 372xp with 28 in. bar. My limbing saw is Husqvarna 572xp with 20 in. bar. If a saw cuts twice as fast that’s half the time to get tired. Does that make sense ? Hope that helps

Ms241 if you can get one, it's an excellent saw for small fast work... after that, the ms261 is great.
As far as really small saws go, the echo 3510 is cheap, and lighter & faster than the ms170 it has more guts and much better av imo, but like the ms170 it's not a professional saw.
Compare it to the MS 171 Someone posted the vibration of all Stihl models, 171, 181, ...251 all have much lower vibration numbers than the one that ends in 0.

Sorry folks, some how I missed we suddenly are discussing a top-handle saw (MS200T), not the rear-handle version (without the "T").
Completely different balance and area-of-use in my opinion.
But as recommended, try it, if it is great, bargin with the guy and maybe buy it.
And then get start searching for a rear handle kit from @lone wolf or elsewhere...

Conversion looks a bit fiddly:

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...s200t-top-handle-to-ms200-rear-handle.254752/

Hello everyone! Just recently bought my first saw of my very own, a very well maintained MS 310 w/ 20”bar. My father in law owns 100 acres with about half of that in woods so trees are constantly needing trimmed and cleaned up. He’s running a 290 and a 170. Would like to buy a lightweight limber to help him. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I've been running Husky 346's for years, and have found none better for limbing and brushing. Absolute screamer, very reliable and durable, great ergonomics; what's not to like? Actually, what's not to like is that they've been discontinued for years. Find a good used one and my bet is you'll not be disappointed. I convinced my whole crew to worship them once they tried mine. Mine have been through hell, I've been nursing them along, and I just pray they'll last until retirement. Haven't had to rebuild any of them yet. Just replace the piston ring every 500 hours or so. I run 3/8 pitch on a 68 drive link (18") bar, for various reasons. Screams even louder with .325 if you want to maximize performance.

Ported 500i with 32" light, gets the job done faster with less bending over while exstending the over head reach.

A rear handle 200 is what you seek. Those little saws are animals. I run a 14” and 16” on mine and love it for the small stuff.

Dyno joe was getting some good numbers from a echo 2511 but it was ported.

Back