Best light weight saw for limbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only refer to my own priorities; I can build it and maintain it entirely myself all the way till Jesus comes back.
The 201 is also tad heavier... why would you brag about more power if it has more weight? They still sell the MS881.

A "tad" heavier..lol..who even notices those things..

What do you think you can maintain on a 200 that you can't on a 201 ?

He's crying about the carb.....

Lol..I swear...people make sh!t up to worry about.

I wanna know "what about" the carb is "so hard" to fix.

These things are hilarious, it's just a carburetor with a solenoid in it..when the solenoid goes bad you can buy a new one at a stihl dealer for 22 bucks and it takes about 8 minutes to put in...even for an average (at best) saw mechanic like me.

It's the end of the world - lol.

Lol..I swear...people make sh!t up to worry about.

I wanna know "what about" the carb is "so hard" to fix.

These things are hilarious, it's just a carburetor with a solenoid in it..when the solenoid goes bad you can buy a new one at a stihl dealer for 22 bucks and it takes about 8 minutes to put in...even for an average (at best) saw mechanic like me.

It's the end of the world - lol.
No arguments from me there, husqy made it quite a but harder as the seliniod isn't available separately. (That I know of) but its still a carb.

And right there is the reason the ms240 is going the way of the dodo bird....
being 2/10ths of a hp less and 1/3 lb heavier than the MS241 isn't the end of the world. I get it for future production of new saws but if you have an MS240 or are looking to buy one used, it's a very viable option and not much of a real factor. hell, if you have an 024 in good shape it's not a big downgrade. unless you need to use it every day.

No arguments from me there, husqy made it quite a but harder as the seliniod isn't available separately. (That I know of) but its still a carb.

I don't understand people saying they fear the parts availability of new saws in the future..considering they are the future..parts will be readily available and your 20- 30 year old saw will have sparse over priced parts. - I don't understand it, that's common sense.

being 2/10ths of a hp less and 1/3 lb heavier than the MS241 isn't the end of the world. I get it for future production of new saws but if you have an MS240 or are looking to buy one used, it's a very viable option and not much of a real factor. hell, if you have an 024 in good shape it's not a big downgrade. unless you need to use it every day.
It's a common stihl.problem of the past thay made it to the ms line up of saws. They loved to make models that were close to weight and power of each other then let history sort them out. I wouldn't toss a good running 024/240 but I wouldn't take one over an 026/260/1. By no means do I mean they are bad saws, just not needed in the stihl line up.

024 is used in the backyard and 026 is taken to the forest / there are a lot of models to sell a lot of spare parts
Well the 241cm is about the same power as a 026 only more lightweight/compact, how do you categorize that considering you'r birch dont really get larger than 13" no matter how deep in to the forest you make it ?
And remember; that 241cm is gonna cut a 13" bar all the way so thats a 26" tree your felling....

Well the 241cm is about the same power as a 026 only more lightweight/compact, how do you categorize that considering you'r birch dont really get larger than 13" no matter how deep in to the forest you make it ?
And remember; that 241cm is gonna cut a 13" bar all the way so thats a 26" tree your felling....
They are less then 1 lb in weight difference and 1hp in power difference. The choice should be pretty easy on this one.

They are less then 1 lb in weight difference and 1hp in power difference. The choice should be pretty easy on this one.
I prefer lightweight in a compact package too, all that I need an then some...
And we are felling and bucking here, not any limbing at all.
In fact if this thread was about "limbing" - I would suggest the MS 201...
:yes:

Sometimes I think some of you guys live in an alternate universe.
A 50cc is plenty light and compact for "limbing". Also makes a decent firewood saw.
If it's too heavy you need to get a gym membership.
A 50cc for limbing ?
That's what I use for felling...
So you need the same saw you need for felling a tree to limb it ?
It don't look good on yah mate as an experienced woodfellah...

Sometimes I think some of you guys live in an alternate universe.
A 50cc is plenty light and compact for "limbing". Also makes a decent firewood saw.
If it's too heavy you need to get a gym membership.
This....Turned up 50cc is my limbing saw, can also be used for felling but that's what my 660 is for.

Latest posts

Back