Best old Stihl homeowner saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Darrel lets compare it to boats (something we both know much more about). If I was lobstering I really wouldnt care exactly how pretty my downie was. I want to make sure I had the biggest Cat turbo in it, flawless elec sysytem and everything in perfect working order so that I could pull my 800 pots in 12 footers and make it back to the dock for 3 so I didnt miss my kids football game. Ive seen custom built boats, prettiest boats youve ever laid eyes on never leave the dock, owners to scared its to rough or doesnt want to put a scratch on it. Myself I had an old 88 Grady that I kept in perfect shape. Sure it was scratched, stress cracks, but in that boat I felt safe going out 70 miles and coming home in 8 footers and did. Ive seen a friend fish a pos Moonie boat for many years and he never got less than 10 fish a year, eventually winding up with a beautiful Downie stick boat. A couple of his best friends is on the show Wicked Tuna and I have one there too. For me its function before looks. If I had a perfectly restored saw Id be nervous about putting it in the back of my 86 and going into the woods for the day. Thats just how I think.

Well Darrel lets compare it to boats (something we both know much more about). If I was lobstering I really wouldnt care exactly how pretty my downie was. I want to make sure I had the biggest Cat turbo in it, flawless elec sysytem and everything in perfect working order so that I could pull my 800 pots in 12 footers and make it back to the dock for 3 so I didnt miss my kids football game. Ive seen custom built boats, prettiest boats youve ever laid eyes on never leave the dock, owners to scared its to rough or doesnt want to put a scratch on it. Myself I had an old 88 Grady that I kept in perfect shape. Sure it was scratched, stress cracks, but in that boat I felt safe going out 70 miles and coming home in 8 footers and did. Ive seen a friend fish a pos Moonie boat for many years and he never got less than 10 fish a year, eventually winding up with a beautiful Downie stick boat. A couple of his best friends is on the show Wicked Tuna and I have one there too. For me its function before looks. If I had a perfectly restored saw Id be nervous about putting it in the back of my 86 and going into the woods for the day. Thats just how I think.
Well that's just it. Nobody wants to go to the prom with an old hag (unless they have to). Gotta remember these saws are for two types, man cave posers (big money) and occasional user weekend warrior (no money). The poser pays the bills.

Didn't mean any disrespect in my post, and I put effort into not coming across that way. That's why I stated "my personal projects". What anybody else wants or prefers, is entirely up to them. I like my saws to look nice, and by all means, be reliable mechanically also. I take extra care not to put any more scratches on the saw than it had when I built it, but if it happens, it's not the end of the world. That's where those slightly scratched, used pieces come into play (they're already scratched). As for the shelf queens, I said I admire them. Really, all I can do is ADMIRE them, because I sure don't OWN one...yet.

The same goes for my boat, I like it to look pretty, smell like fish, and get me home safely.:cheers: :popcorn2: :cheers:

Well that's just it. Nobody wants to go to the prom with an old hag (unless they have to). Gotta remember these saws are for two types, man cave posers (big money) and occasional user weekend warrior (no money). The poser pays the bills.
You are right William, I guess I just think what I want, not whats going to bring the big money. What does it cost to powder coat all the pieces, ballpark? I hate sanding, I suck at painting, that also means spending the money for the unbroken muffler cover, perfect cases, handlebar tubing, nameplates, its a big investment before a questionable return.

I did take the ugly girl to the prom cause I knew it would be worth it ;-)

It sounds like a lot for a few small parts, but when you consider the painstaking hours of prep work (degreasing/sonic cleaning, bead blasting/sanding, tedious masking of surfaces to be non-coated, plugging bolt holes & air/oil passages, etc.), then another chemical/cleaner wipe-down, the cost of the paint/powder coat products and other supplies...all this, before the paint even gets mixed!

I agree, it would have to be a pretty special saw. Ive been looking at all my mid size options and it looks like the ms361 has the most parts available, the most amount of junkers out there and a great reputation. I know I said I wanted all metal, but,.. It also seems like the nice ones raise some decent money. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for something with a decent price tag and tear her down and see how they work. I hope they dont have those dammed flippy caps!!

It sounds like a lot for a few small parts, but when you consider the painstaking hours of prep work (degreasing/sonic cleaning, bead blasting/sanding, tedious masking of surfaces to be non-coated, plugging bolt holes & air/oil passages, etc.), then another chemical/cleaner wipe-down, the cost of the paint/powder coat products and other supplies...all this, before the paint even gets mixed!

I do have a couple cases that are in near perfect condition. Maybe someday I'll make a shelf and build a perfect 076 Super to mount on the wall. For now I'll stick to Bucks, Boars, Fox and various other creatures on the walls, lol

Back