Best old Stihl homeowner saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based solely on he thread title I vote for 031. I do believe its too old for rebuild and resale but if you are having luck doing 045's and such, maybe. For being less than 50cc it pulls a 16" 3/8 very well and I actually think the a/v is very good.

Based solely on he thread title I vote for 031. I do believe its too old for rebuild and resale but if you are having luck doing 045's and such, maybe. For being less than 50cc it pulls a 16" 3/8 very well and I actually think the a/v is very good.
Not enough profit usually. Nice ones are 150 max.

Any saw shop owner I've ever talked to has always said the same thing about the saw business in general!

You many billable hours do you think these wealthy saw mechanics can rack up on a homeowner saw?

What type of work are you looking for?
Bill Im a union bricklayer. Weve had record snows in Boston this winter. Im taking loans to pay loans. Im not crying, I have faith that things will get better and i do believe that things happen for a reason. I work very hard doing anything I can. Rebuilding snowblowers, chainsaws, welding, any type of laboring and construction. There is literally nothing I cant fix or learn to fix with the help of good people like all of you. It feast or famine for me, I chose my career, I live with it.

Stick with the 051 075 076 041 all mag saws just keep going up. Just saw a clean 075 bring a grand plus Today.

Bill I have a 076 that Im going to list soon. its very well built. It wont get a grand but it will make someone very happy. I have decided to take the chance and offer money back garuntee providing buyer has good feedback and seeing as ebay always side with the buyer anyway. Maybe that will help. If I added up the hours I had into a build I bet its 8$ and hour, but I enjoy it. I just built a really wicked ts760 that will surprise any experienced user. Im going with less info in the ads and hope they sell themselves. Ive never had one come back yet. I do need to specialize in a mid size reliable durable saw. My personal saw (one of them) is a Husky 365. Might be a little big for homeowner but always did my wood well, hundreds of cords, has fell many a tree and never let me down. Looking for a Stihl a little smaller (has to pull a 20" bar though) to specialize in, but still worth enough to do them from scratch. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help! God bless!

I'm pretty sure my father has an old like 028 or somethig he's had for probably 26 years. He does about 5 chord a year with it and all it ever gets is a new spark plug an filter every now and then.

Bill I have a 076 that Im going to list soon. its very well built. It wont get a grand but it will make someone very happy. I have decided to take the chance and offer money back garuntee providing buyer has good feedback and seeing as ebay always side with the buyer anyway. Maybe that will help. If I added up the hours I had into a build I bet its 8$ and hour, but I enjoy it. I just built a really wicked ts760 that will surprise any experienced user. Im going with less info in the ads and hope they sell themselves. Ive never had one come back yet. I do need to specialize in a mid size reliable durable saw. My personal saw (one of them) is a Husky 365. Might be a little big for homeowner but always did my wood well, hundreds of cords, has fell many a tree and never let me down. Looking for a Stihl a little smaller (has to pull a 20" bar though) to specialize in, but still worth enough to do them from scratch. Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help! God bless!
U née to get a powder coat setup and they will all bring that.

Yes, I agree pretty saws sell better. Seems guys don't care about new seals, bearings and proper assembly techniques as long as it looks new on the shelf. One day in the woods and its used and scratched.

And Bill I don't mean that as disrespect in any way. You and I have been doing business for many years and you've helped me a lot and I appreciate it!

I wouldn't turn my back on an 024 if you come across one either. They won't bring the $$$ that an 026 will but a lot of guys really like them.

Yes, I agree pretty saws sell better. Seems guys don't care about new seals, bearings and proper assembly techniques as long as it looks new on the shelf. One day in the woods and its used and scratched.
For my own personal projects, which are what all of mine are, I like a fine line between nice looking & shelf queen. When I buy body parts, I look for nice ones (slightly scratched or chipped doesn't bother me). Generally, I don't want new & I definitely don't want ugly.

I DO appreciate admiring a nicely done shelf queen, and I must admit, it's hard to refrain from going that route at times.

Latest posts

Back