Best smelling fuel oil (Least odor)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Least is hard to say, maybe less offensive in odor. You're burning fuel and oil, the type of fuel effects smell greatly as well. I'm fine with all of the oils I listed. The only way for you to find out is to buy a few small bottles and find out which one you like best. TrueFuel 50:1 uses Motul 800, so you could buy a bottle at Home Depot to see if you like it.

Do you have confirmation of this from TrueFuel? The reason I ask is that VP advertises the use of Motul, but they state its a "proprietary blend" made just for them. I talked to Motul and they would not state which oil they supply to VP. The mix definitely has the same appearance as 800 would, but I have always been curious. I posted a while back that as a higher volume, lower cost method of achieving a "TrueFuel" or "SEF" type mix is to buy VP Racing"T4" fuel ( 5 gallon bucket with a 2 yr shelf life) which is 96 pump octane and ethanol free, then mix your Motul 800 2T to whatever ratio you please. This mix at 32:1 has been my choice for awhile now, as I always had the best results with Motul in my CR and TRX 250R's. Piston crowns never have anything more than a light brown color that wipes right off with solvent.

The smell of Motul is pretty minimal in my opinion. I would also say that Honda's HP2 product has a minimal smell. I believe it is blended for Honda by Citgo.

Do you have confirmation of this from TrueFuel? The reason I ask is that VP advertises the use of Motul, but they state its a "proprietary blend" made just for them. I talked to Motul and they would not state which oil they supply to VP. The mix definitely has the same appearance as 800 would, but I have always been curious. I posted a while back that as a higher volume, lower cost method of achieving a "TrueFuel" or "SEF" type mix is to buy VP Racing"T4" fuel ( 5 gallon bucket with a 2 yr shelf life) which is 96 pump octane and ethanol free, then mix your Motul 800 2T to whatever ratio you please. This mix at 32:1 has been my choice for awhile now, as I always had the best results with Motul in my CR and TRX 250R's. Piston crowns never have anything more than a light brown color that wipes right off with solvent.

The smell of Motul is pretty minimal in my opinion. I would also say that Honda's HP2 product has a minimal smell. I believe it is blended for Honda by Citgo.

No hard conformation, just what a few dealers that sell it have told me and my trusty nose. I can't tell you if it's the exact same formula as 800, but it smell exactly the same as my own fuel mixed with 800, so take that for what's it's worth.:cheers:

If you're sensitive to smell you don't want any oil with castor in it, aka 927 or Klotz Super TechniPlate. I too am somewhat sensitive to exhaust smell. I've ran all of the oils in question, they all have a unique odor, some have a bit less than others. Stihl Ultra does have a nasty smell IMHO. So far the oil's with the best/least smell I have found is, Maxima K2, Motul 800, Motul 710 has less odor than 800, but it's very thin oil which scares me. Silkolene Pro 2 SX smells fine as well. I buy my oil here Dirt Bike Motocross 2-Stroke Oil Oils/Chemicals Accessories - Motorcycle Superstore They ship fast, and are great to deal with.

I've never been around the K2. Does it smell like 927?.......man that **** smells so good, makes me hungry and horny all at once :D

Last edited:
No, it has it's own smell, which is very nice, my favorite so far.

LOL are we really talking about how are saw smell.

Of course we are! Maybe this will start a trend.

I'm actually looking into the feasibility of adding a couple ounces of "pure gum spirits" (turpentine) to my gas mix to give it a nice, clean piney smell. Seriously.

Turpentine has been used in place of gasoline in the past. It has also been shown to reduce emissions when mixed with diesel fuel, and biodiesel enthusiasts sometimes mix up to 20% of it into their fuel. So as a fuel additive, it looks promising.

Of course I'll be testing any turpentine spiked formulations in my 025 first, not my ported saw. :)

Last edited:
Seems to me that how the exhaust smells is a cosmetic thing. OTOH actual bio-chemical effects are a big potential problem.

For a given mix oil, I've found strato engines to be MUCH less noxious than non-strato; all that unburnt fuel can't help much. Keeping the fuel/oil mix ratio around 45/1 vice 32/1 helps a lot too.

With the strato saws I have, I've only ever noticed their exhaust on a wind-less day, while cutting in a tangle of big sticks, which helped to retain exhaust. At the worst, their exhaust is barely noticeable. Refraining from going wild with high-speed carb richness helps. (Can you tell how much I like strato engines?)

Given that, Valvoline, Woodland Pro Synthetic and Echo Power-Blend work fine. Undoubtedly others too.

Of course we are! Maybe this will start a trend.

I'm actually looking into the feasibility of adding a couple ounces of "pure gum spirits" (turpentine) to my gas mix to give it a nice, clean piney smell. Seriously.

Turpentine has been used in place of gasoline in the past. It has also been shown to reduce emissions when mixed with diesel fuel, and biodiesel enthusiasts sometimes mix up to 20% of it into their fuel. So as a fuel additive, it looks promising.

Of course I'll be testing any turpentine spiked formulations in my 025 first, not my ported saw. :)

That's "the power of Pine Sol baby"!

Seems to me that how the exhaust smells is a cosmetic thing. OTOH actual bio-chemical effects are a big potential problem.

For a given mix oil, I've found strato engines to be MUCH less noxious than non-strato; all that unburnt fuel can't help much. Keeping the fuel/oil mix ratio around 45/1 vice 32/1 helps a lot too.

With the strato saws I have, I've only ever noticed their exhaust on a wind-less day, while cutting in a tangle of big sticks, which helped to retain exhaust. At the worst, their exhaust is barely noticeable. Refraining from going wild with high-speed carb richness helps. (Can you tell how much I like strato engines?)

Given that, Valvoline, Woodland Pro Synthetic and Echo Power-Blend work fine. Undoubtedly others too.
It's definitely more than cosmetic for me. It's about quality of life. Having a low-level headache for hours after using a saw is no fun.

That's good info on the stratos, though. I'll have to make sure my next saw is a strato. I will be mixing at 40:1 going forward as well.

It's definitely more than cosmetic for me. It's about quality of life. Having a low-level headache for hours after using a saw is no fun.

That's good info on the stratos, though. I'll have to make sure my next saw is a strato. I will be mixing at 40:1 going forward as well.

You misconstrue. The sensible odor thing is a red-herring here. What the fumes (that you may or may not sense) do to you is the problem. See the difference? Don't be distracted by the obvious.

The smell is not the issue, but the physiological effects are. If you feel lousy downwind of a particular mix, and smell nothing, that mix oil is in question. I was trying to point out that you seemed totally fixated on smell as being the problem. Carbon monoxide has no smell.

If you're gonna mix in extra oil, well there's part of your problem. The only reason I go with more than 50/1 is that some of my saws spec 40/1. Seems they don't really need it, or maybe only with cheapie dino oil. 50/1 is in all their futures.

You misconstrue. The sensible odor thing is a red-herring here. What the fumes (that you may or may not sense) do to you is the problem. See the difference? Don't be distracted by the obvious.

The smell is not the issue, but the physiological effects are. If you feel lousy downwind of a particular mix, and smell nothing, that mix oil is in question. I was trying to point out that you seemed totally fixated on smell as being the problem. Carbon monoxide has no smell.

If you're gonna mix in extra oil, well there's part of your problem. The only reason I go with more than 50/1 is that some of my saws spec 40/1. Seems they don't really need it, or maybe only with cheapie dino oil. 50/1 is in all their futures.

Methinks you nailed the monoxide as the causative factor.:cheers:

So could you still smell the klotz original 100% synthetic on your first tank or cuts?

I always liked the smell of Klotz Techniplate oil and used it for awhile in all my 2 stroke stuff, problem is, the place I bought it charges way too much for it and I got a good deal on a case of Stihl oil so I use it even though it smells lousy...

I see where you're coming from. My thinking is that I can "tolerate" a standard exhaust, like what I get from my lawn mower, at least to the level where it doesn't give me a headache afterward. While I know it's not good for my long-term health to inhale burned hydrocarbons AT ALL, my lawn still needs to be mowed.

Same thing with firewood. It needs to be cut, so I want to minimize the damage done by inhaling chainsaw exhaust. I am hoping that with a clean burning / low-smell oil the inevitably inhaled exhaust will be as benign as I can make it.

My saw is ported, so I want to run 40:1 to feel safe. The tune is pretty rich, so once I dial in my mix, I may lean out the H a little bit.

If all else fails, there is always my NBC filter gas mask.

I've been using Motul 800 for a while and I used up the last of it so i might try some K2 i've used the 927 and it doesn't burn all that clean.

Sent from my 562xp computer

I'll lend you my masterminded 394 and a few gallons of the Bel Ray at 32:1 (what I'm currently running). After that, anything you use will seem easy peasy lemon squeezy:biggrin:

I am going to disagree a little with CTYank (respectfully and somewhat fearfully however) in that smell is pretty important and for many people not cosmetic. For some migraine sufferers smell can be a trigger. Whether we're even talking about "smell" is debatable. People with no sense of smell can still "smell" ammonia and some other noxious substances through afferent pathways in their glossopharyngeal and vagal sensory distributions.

What the #### did I just write!!?? I blacked out for a minute from the shiner bock and that was on the screen.....Creepy:alien2:

I'll lend you my masterminded 394 and a few gallons of the Bel Ray at 32:1 (what I'm currently running). After that, anything you use will seem easy peasy lemon squeezy:biggrin:

I am going to disagree a little with CTYank (respectfully and somewhat fearfully however) in that smell is pretty important and for many people not cosmetic. For some migraine sufferers smell can be a trigger. Whether we're even talking about "smell" is debatable. People with no sense of smell can still "smell" ammonia and some other noxious substances through afferent pathways in their glossopharyngeal and vagal sensory distributions.

What the #### did I just write!!?? I blacked out for a minute from the shiner bock and that was on the screen.....Creepy:alien2:

Stihl Ultra is the only oil that makes my head pound,not to mention it stinks too.

The best oil would be one that didn't smell at all for several people have stated in this thread that their good smelling blend will make you sick if you are around too much of it like in running the saw all day.

Latest posts

Back