Best upgrade on a Wood Splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassionForTrees

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive had a Timberwolf TW-1 for years, the 4 way is almost not useable on big pieces and I am ready to get a big boy splitter now. I know about the TW-5 n 6. just looking at videos of different splitters and such. thought to ask you all, what do you think is a great upgrade powerful wood splitter to upgrade too. Pros and Cons! Thanks

from all the reading on here TW-5 or 6 seem to be top of the line. there are other companies out there but the TW company seems to have the biggest following. i personally would go home or custom built with the features the way you want them

Few years back I upgraded to a Skid steer bottom splitter for the MONSTER logs. It works great as I just drive up and set the splitter on top of the karge rounds and split from cab. I had the skid steer for my business so it made sense to go this route plus I have jobs that we clear large trees
20130620_075319

Then when I have the monster rounds down smaller I use what I welded on top of the original splitter. I found old 3 point hitch splitter that I rebuilt and then kept modding to my liking including 4 way and table
split1.JPG

Splitter%2B006.jpg

20130222_141042_resized.jpg

20130613_085935

I have a tw6 and leave the 4 way on almost 100% of the time. Even for the big pieces. One option that I've seen elsewhere...on the built-rite, I think.....is the disappearing 4 way or the ability of the wings to drop down level with the beam for the really weird/oddball/tough pieces. A permanently mounted but hinged table grate would be fantastic (with an adjustable leg...absolutely ideal). And if we're talking a "just won the lottery" ultimate build scenario, the aforementioned options and splitter all sit atop a zero turn mower style propulsion system. With an 18hp honda, I have enough ponies and move enough fluid that I shouldn't need to get out some other machine to move this beast....right?

Latest posts

Back