body weight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12valve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys, I guess what I'm trying to figure out here is what the average climber weighs and if I need to go easy on the twinkies for a while. I weigh 245-250 depending on which convenience store im walking out of. I'm just a big, broad, corn-fed country boy thats really into weight lifting. I'm not fat by any means just stout. I've been climbing for around a year and a half now and I was watching some videos on youtube and it just ocurred to me that I'm much heavier than all these other climbers. Any input is appreciated. Be safe, 12valve

You have 3" and 100 pounds on me. If you can climb, then go for it. There's a big difference in being 250lbs, playing video games all day, and 250lbs as an NFL linebacker. Back when I was in junior high, I was one of 2 guys on the football team under 100 pounds. I was a center, and the best one the team had. That's what being a farmboy will get you.

Nick

I'm 5' 11" and weigh 200. Last year I was 240 and was fat. It's a heck of a lot easier to climb when you weigh less but I think body fat has much more to do with it then how big you are. Lighter climbers are going to be able to go where you cannot but you will have the advantage on the heavy lifting stuff.

I know one climber around here on AS that is 6' 11" and a couple of others who weigh in close to three hundred pounds.

I'm 5' 11" and weigh 200. Last year I was 240 and was fat. It's a heck of a lot easier to climb when you weigh less but I think body fat has much more to do with it then how big you are. Lighter climbers are going to be able to go where you cannot but you will have the advantage on the heavy lifting stuff.

I know one climber around here on AS that is 6' 11" and a couple of others who weigh in close to three hundred pounds.

A buddy of mine "claims" to be a climber. He's got to be close to 7' and well over 300 lbs. He's not fat at all, just a giant man. In fact if you seen him in the woods you'd think he was a bigfoot. We work together a lot and he is a damn good tree guy I just never seen him in a tree. I bust his balls all the time reminding him that there is no tree that would support his giant mass. I on the other hand am only 5' 7" and 145. We look like David and Goliath on a jobsite lol.

My groundy is over 300 pounds. we look like the same.

John Paul Sanborn is 6' 11" and climbs well enough that he does consulting and training for other companies. He's a big fella, I've met him and worked a little with him but he was only doing sales when he came down here so I didn't get to see him climb.

hey guys, I guess what I'm trying to figure out here is what the average climber weighs and if I need to go easy on the twinkies for a while. I weigh 245-250 depending on which convenience store im walking out of. I'm just a big, broad, corn-fed country boy thats really into weight lifting. I'm not fat by any means just stout. I've been climbing for around a year and a half now and I was watching some videos on youtube and it just ocurred to me that I'm much heavier than all these other climbers. Any input is appreciated. Be safe, 12valve

The only thing you have to do is look at weight limits for certain climbing gear. You will not climb as fast or as long as most of the smaller guys but you can do it if you want to do it.

from left to right Im 6' 280 Huskytree 6'5" 270 and Bomber 6'3" 230... all three climb. Even at 46 and 280 I can still rope climb (lard thrust) pretty well when I have to.
dsc05504m.jpg

Good news, Hostess I heard went bankrupt! So no more twinkies. Stihl-o-matic is heavier then you and hasn't broken any trees (yet) lol! I know guys as big as you as well. I am 220 with all my gear on easy. My problem is I have to stay out of the Tim Hortons more often!

Guys I appreciate the feedback, that really got my moral back. Glad to know theres big guys out there hangin from a rope. Although I'm still pretty bummed about Hostess. If they quit making ding dongs I might go on a rampage, lol.

I had a good buddy who was 6'1'' and 240ish and he gaffed up those pines no problem. Some times I thought a tree might break the way it jerked when he advanced his lanyard up the tree. I am 5'9'' and 170 and there are times I am way up in a top or on a limb I wish I weighed less. You'll be ok just stay out of skinny weak trees.

Yeah, gotta love that Ron White line. The guy that tought me everything I know about climbing, cutting, trees, etc. never said anything about how much weight is safe, but I believe I'm good now. Hes about 5'6 and 140 lbs and most of that weight is from his beard. Hey got one more question and humour me here if its a dumb one but whats a rep? (as in thanks for the rep)

rep is reputation its all those little dashes and colorful letters under your peoples names on the side, theres stuff about it in FAQ you give it by clicking on the little star in the bottom left of the post

Last edited:
The only thing you have to do is look at weight limits for certain climbing gear. You will not climb as fast or as long as most of the smaller guys but you can do it if you want to do it.

from left to right Im 6' 280 Huskytree 6'5" 270 and Bomber 6'3" 230... all three climb. Even at 46 and 280 I can still rope climb (lard thrust) pretty well when I have to.
dsc05504m.jpg

I would love to see you Lardthrusting your way up a tree sometime... I mean I've seen 101 do it, and that was some pretty good stuff, but he's kinda tough for a Porker, so I'm betting watching your fat ass sweating yer way up a tree would be downright hilarious!! And your head looks kinda red in that pic... you sure that big stihl ain't too much for ya there ossifer?? Lol.

Last edited:
I started in a tree at 6'2" and maybe 190 lbs . now I am pushing 275 and I am not gonna lie I get tired lard thrusting my 3rd tree of the day , all in my arms and shoulders , but I have no problem once I am in the canopy , I can move through as needed , I do find that when I am on spikes I feel it alot in my shins I mean each spike is carrying 135lbs each I mean I have worked with guys that weigh 175 total , I do work with a another guy who pushes about 220 lbs of pure mean and he doesn't tire but he is a animal and when he works he works until we get in the truck then he is sleeping when we get back to the shop , he puts 100% into it daily

5'11" 200lbs here. The guys over 6' can get heavy pretty fast even if they are in decent shape. It really doesn't matter as long as you can get the job done and watch your tie in points.

Speaking about tie points I actually broke out the top of a silver maple fell about 20 ft . and ate a crotch with my face , and thank god for it because next stop on that ride was the basement ..

Speaking about tie points I actually broke out the top of a silver maple fell about 20 ft . and ate a crotch with my face , and thank god for it because next stop on that ride was the basement ..

Might wanna stick with calling it a "branch union". Eating a crotch doesn't have to be a bad thing but, ya know lol any injuries from the fall?

Back