boot grease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon the best's Jay-El (by Joseph Liddy) - aussie stuff. All stations (ranches in the US) use it for all purpose softening and preserving of everything leather - saddles, bridles, boots etc. - stuff you have to really rely on. It's beeswax based. I love it.

Another very good one's neatsfoot oil. But it MUST be pure, if it (or anything else for that matter) is blended with mineral oil (if it doesn't say pure, it's blended), it will rot stitching. But it does a damn fine job for the leather.

If I want to waterproof - Nikwax. You put it on with your fingers to help penetration (warmth).

first off, thanks to everyone for all the replies, dancan, thats usually what i do with the vaseline and sno-seal, seems to work real well.
Kevin

east coast solotion

I use Limmer Boot Grease. Limmer is a small family shop that makes moutain hiking boots. the shop is full of pictures people took of the boots at different summits. I figure if the boot maker makes it, it must be the right stuff. i dont use thier boots, but the grease works awesome. www.limmerbootgrease.com

Pecard leather dressing in the summer and snow seal in the winter.

Spring,Summer,and Fall : Justin uninsulated Gore-tex lined boot from Sportsmansguide--- $79.95 on sale. Sno-seal melted in a pan and rubbed in.Winter boots : Cabelas loggers Gore-tex lined & 400 grams thinsulate Sno-seal also melted and rubbed in.Works great............. Gore-tex is the only way to go.I have an old pair of Hi-tec magnums with Sympatex lining---also very waterproof.

Latest posts

Back