Brand new to the site. What to buy?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goon 88

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new saw. The ones I've looked at are the Husqvarna XP395, XP385 and XP372 along with the Stihl MS660, MS650, and MS441. I just got the new Timber Wolf TW-6 splitter and am getting into the firewood game. Price vs power is really what's driving my decision, so I have a few concerns about which saw will be right for me. In my eyes, it's always been bigger is better. I'm 6'4" and about 300lbs.

I am a numbers geek and when I put all the numbers together and make a rational comparison, the saw that jumps out at me is the Husky XP385 with a 28" bar, 3/8" chain for about $850 including tax. The XP395 jumps up to $1050. Is it worth the $200 to get 10 more cc's? When I look at the Stihl, I see the MS660 looks as close to the XP395 as they get without going to the MS880, but is 3 cc's smaller and $50 more expensive. The MS650 is $150 more than the XP385 for what looks to be the same saw. Same cc's, HP and is 1 lb heavier than the XP. What are your thoughts on the XP372? I know that they are going out of production next year in the US but how does their power hold up the the XP385/MS650?

The trees that I will be cutting range from 16" in diameter to 6'. My friend has a tree business and we are cutting what he hauls in from his jobs. He has a 3120 as well as a few of the MS660's. We have already cut and split almost 60 cord, but I HATE using other peoples saws. Any suggestions would be great. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

PS- I'm using my trusty 455 Rancher right now and it's like trying to shoot pool with a rope keeping up with these guys. I have a serious case of saw envy.

Last edited:
Just to be sure, could you clarify the size wood you're cutting? You said "16" to 6"......I'm assuming the 6" is a typo.

But if price versus power is "driving you", then the only choice is the Dolmar 7900....followed closely by the 390XP...if you want more power.

Last edited:
Welcome & "uh oh"....your question may fan the Husky vs Stihl fire that is smoldering at the moment. Since I am a Stihl guy, I say the 660, but I would not want to run it all day.....gettin too old for that big of a saw. The Huskys you mentioned are all fine saws, but the real question is your dealer support. What dealer do you have that you like/trust? Whatever he sells(huskystihl) buy it from him. A good dealer to me is more important than the brand, because you will need him some day if you use your saws a lot.

RD

Just to be sure, could you clarify the size wood you're cutting? You said "16" to 6"......I'm assuming the 6" is a typo.

But if price versus power is "driving you", then the only choice is the Dolmar 7900....followed closely by the 390XP...if you want more power.

Thanks. It was a typo and I made the edit. I've never heard of a Dolmar. Now I have to go find them and compare the numbers!!!

The husky 372xp is one of the best firewood saws on the market. If you are only cutting 16” and under firewood, you will never fully utilize the added power of the 385xp, ms660 or 395xp. You will just be carrying around more weight. It is your business and all of the saws you have mentioned are top notch. Go with your gut feelings and get whatever saw feels best in your hands.

stihl ms361

from the size of trees you talked about why do you need such a big saw????
i use a stihl ms 361 with a 20" bar and can cut all day long and not be dead at the end of the week and im in the same size wood as you...im a stihl guy so i would stick with a stihl, if you want to go to a bigger saw than go with a ms460 i also use one but the weight difference kills me at the end of the day...limbing and bucking 16" firewood with a ms660 to me doesnt make sense way too much overkill but im not 6'4" and 300 lbs...im 5'10" and 150 lbs...lol....get back to me

oh 6 feet

ok now the saw choices make a bit more sense.....well that kind of changes my outlook....i agree with motorseven about dealer support...but all things being equal then get the 660 and 361 because your not going to limb all day with that ms660 monster it will kill you....

it to me sounds like you need a 70cc and 90cc saw as abare minumum. you might ad a 120cc saw later to buck and up that 6ft wood.

but because id assume your woodsize is likely for the most part 40"s and smaller id sujest the stihl 460 with a 28" bar. this saw will walk all over the 455 , its just one heck of good saw.

that being said i have to tell you i dont own a 460 nor have i ever cut with one. i have exsperince with its little brother the 440. the 460 is basicaly the same thing just slightly bigger with more power.

i also own and cut quite a bit of wood with a 372. this saw has lots of power and is quite noticably smoother then the 460. youl be amazed how smooth it is. i also like this saw alot and will keep it for along time.

as for the bigger saws it also kinda comes down to personell prefrence but i feel the 660 is slightly heavier duty then the 390. through reserching these saws i found that the 660 has the same crank beaaring on the clutch side as the 880 so you know this is a heavy duty saw meant to be put to work.

the 390 has been proven to outcut the 395 when modded is lighter and less bulky.

what it boils down to is the saws your looking at are all good in these categories. personell prefrence matters most here

Welcome to AS. :greenchainsaw:

My best suggestion would be to buy a Dolmar 7900 with the HD air filter kit. The 7900 screams, it's 79cc but it runs like it's a 90cc saw. It'll give a 660 a run for it's money. The 7900 has a TON of torque and it'll pull a 32" bar with no problem. Another great factor is it's weight, for it's class it is extremely light. With the HD air kit you'd be looking at spending around $900 or so.

You can't go wrong with a 385xp or an MS660 though.... The saws you listed are all great saws with a good solid history. But (on this site) the Dolmar 7900 has unofficially been deemed the hot rod of saws. Anyone who owns one, or has run one is very impressed with it's power and weight.

I love my 7900. :clap:

--

Rep'd. :)

See if Slinger has any used ported 460s left. That or any ported 70cc saw(440, 441, 372) would be fine. Light enough to swing and has plenty of power to fell w/ a 32" b&c.

I cut firewood for fun and the 372XP is perfect for my purposes. If I was going to get serious about it and start producing large amounts of firewood I would want a MS660/395XP size saw. Bear in mind I am 5'8" and 160lbs so you mght want to bump that up to MS880/3120XP if your getting into really big wood on a regular basis. Speed and efficiency are going to be the limiting factors for firewood production and I wouldn't want the saw to be holding me back or bogging things down. In this case bigger is going to be better, you're a big boy buy a big saw! :hmm3grin2orange:

Scott

Last edited:
If I was spending your money for you, it would be a 390XP.

:agree2: It sertainly is one of the best options - and if it was me, the 385xp and the MS650 would be off the list, as the 390 and 660 basically are the same saws with more power........

Last edited:
Welcome to AS!

Hey Goon 88, if you are already using your buddy's 3120 and his 660s, and you believe "more power is better", you won't be happy with any lesser saw.

Save some pennies from all those cords you cut and sell and git yer own 3120 or an 880...you want to run through that big wood with authority right? Have some bragging rights? Have a rippin' good time while working?

Whatever you choose, have fun and Saw Safe! :cheers:

Bounty Hunter

Back