Brand new to the site. What to buy?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Choose 2 saws - seriously!

You will want one to fell and buck with with and another for limbing and smaller felling jobs. The 372XP is an amazing machine (as are most of the pro-saws), but it is hard to beat a 50cc saw when you have to swing it for a few hours limbing and bucking smaller sticks.

I always carry 2 saws for another reason - stuff happens. I make a living sitting in an office, when I have a day for cutting I can't afford to be fooling with a field repair, time is just too precious. Having 2 saws means that if one starts throwing a fit I just grab my back up and keep rolling.

You aint going to make any money at firewood cutting and splitting 6 foot diameter rounds. That will give both you and that little tw6 a massive hernia. If you are serious about firewood, you will probably end up buying log loader or tri-axle of log length wood and I doubt you would see any log over 24” diameter. Most will be between 10” and 18” in diameter, telephone pole processer type wood. You might also get into culls from tree companies but homeowner trees are usually loaded with steel. Unless it is straight grain red oak, we send all that crap to a tub grinder. You don’t need a cannon to shoot sparrows. A husky 372xp with a 20” bar is all you will need. You could probably get by with a dolmar 5100 and you can almost purchase 2 little dolmars for the price of 1 husky 372xp. Good luck.

Just to be sure, could you clarify the size wood you're cutting? You said "16" to 6"......I'm assuming the 6" is a typo.

But if price versus power is "driving you", then the only choice is the Dolmar 7900....followed closely by the 390XP...if you want more power.

I don't understand why anybody is still answering to this thread because the first answer was the correct answer! :clap::clap::clap:

stay safe

You aint going to make any money at firewood cutting and splitting 6 foot diameter rounds. That will give both you and that little tw6 a massive hernia. If you are serious about firewood, you will probably end up buying log loader or tri-axle of log length wood and I doubt you would see any log over 24” diameter. Most will be between 10” and 18” in diameter, telephone pole processer type wood. You might also get into culls from tree companies but homeowner trees are usually loaded with steel. Unless it is straight grain red oak, we send all that crap to a tub grinder. You don’t need a cannon to shoot sparrows. A husky 372xp with a 20” bar is all you will need. You could probably get by with a dolmar 5100 and you can almost purchase 2 little dolmars for the price of 1 husky 372xp. Good luck.

The wood that I am cutting is the big stuff that he can't send to a mill. He cuts the trees, hauls them back to his yard and stacks them there. From there I cut them to 16", load them onto the loader, bring them to the splitter and split them up. We've done this on Saturdays and Sundays this last month and have cut and split a bunch of wood thus far. I hope to cut and split another 200 cord, sell it and roll the $$ over and get a processor and then really get the business going. I spoke to a guy at Cord King today for a processor and the one I like is $100K. Maybe next year, but until then, I need a saw that can get into it and get the job done

The wood that I am cutting is the big stuff that he can't send to a mill. He cuts the trees, hauls them back to his yard and stacks them there. From there I cut them to 16", load them onto the loader, bring them to the splitter and split them up. We've done this on Saturdays and Sundays this last month and have cut and split a bunch of wood thus far. I hope to cut and split another 200 cord, sell it and roll the $$ over and get a processor and then really get the business going. I spoke to a guy at Cord King today for a processor and the one I like is $100K. Maybe next year, but until then, I need a saw that can get into it and get the job done

what diameter?

what diameter?

Last week we started getting into the real burly stuff. There are about 40 or so logs that I'd guess are between 5 and 6 feet in diameter, but only like 10-12 feet long. What we do is cut those suckers with his 3120 with the 6' bar (I guess) to 16", split them once with a maul and wedges, then throw it up on the splitter.

Neither Cord Master nor Multitek with the 5ft slasher blade will touch anything over 24” in diameter. The Multitek will set you back a lot more than 100k. If you are pushing 200 cords of cull wood through a tw6 on your weekends, you don’t need to buy a processor. Anyhoo, base your saw choice on the bar length you most frequently use. For a 20” bar go for a 372xp or ms441. If you want to run a 24” bar hit up a 372xpw or ms460. Like the 28” bar, the dolmar 7900 or 385xp will get you through. A 32” bar will go nicely on a husky 390 and anything above that, the 395xp or ms660 will get it done. Good luck with your business ventures.

Neither Cord Master nor Multitek with the 5ft slasher blade will touch anything over 24” in diameter. The Multitek will set you back a lot more than 100k. If you are pushing 200 cords of cull wood through a tw6 on your weekends, you don’t need to buy a processor. Anyhoo, base your saw choice on the bar length you most frequently use. For a 20” bar go for a 372xp or ms441. If you want to run a 24” bar hit up a 372xpw or ms460. Like the 28” bar, the dolmar 7900 or 385xp will get you through. A 32” bar will go nicely on a husky 390 and anything above that, the 395xp or ms660 will get it done. Good luck with your business ventures.

Great advice from everyone and I surely do appreciate it. I am in exactly the same spot I was in this AM as far as what to buy, but I do love hearing the back and forth. I am leaning towards the 385XP right now, but if the 372XP will do the same thing and save me $125, I may go with that. Jesus I'm just not sure. I'd like to get a 3120XP, MS660, and a few others to have as a reserve, but then I'd need a new wife, which as Tiger will tell you, is probably not cheap!!!

Hello and Welcome to AS. Good luck in the firewood business - it is all about efficiency and reliable equipment. I'm not going to get into the Stihl vs. Husqvarna war, 'cause I like them both. First - buy a saw from a good dealer nearby. You're using it as a moneymaking tool, so you need the fast availability of parts and quality service.

The 2-saw plan is the way to go. You will always have a spare handy if anything goes wrong. Then, you've got to look at the weight, power, vibration and cost. All the saws mentioned so far are good, but here's my personal take. I'm only talking about saws that I own and use regularly.

For the smaller one, you'll probably want something that will pull full-comp chisel chain through hardwood on an 18" or 20" bar with no problems. The Husqvarna 372XP and the Stihl MS460 will fill the bill. If the vibration is going to bother you when cutting 8-10 hours a day, I'd take a long look at the MS441. It's powerful, very smooth, and uses less fuel than the other two. Of the other two, the 372XP is lighter, but the 460 is built like a tank.

On the larger one, you're going to be using a 36" (maybe longer) and you want all the power you can get with a manageable weight and vibe. The 660, 390, and 395 are all good. The 660 vibrates like a jackhammer, but it's fun. For all-day use, I don't think you can beat the 390XP. It's almost 2 lb lighter than the 395 or the 660, and has adequate power to do the job. On that long bar, take a look at the Oregon Power-Match Reduced Weight models. They work great, and keep the saw from feeling nose-heavy. I'm 5'11" and 230, not exactly small. With your stature, the weight may not make a difference, but after a lot of cutting, the vibration certainly will.

Keep your chains sharp. Start each day with 3 sharpened chains for each saw - just switch 'em out when they start to feel sluggish. I like to hand file myself, but if your dealer sharpens for reasonable money, go that way.

In the end, it's down to personal choice. Stick with the pro saws in the top brands which have a good dealer nearby, and it's hard to go wrong.

Finally, I shouldn't have to say this, but will anyway. Set aside some money for PPE. A good helmet, safety glasses, ear protection, gloves, chaps, and steel-toe boots. It makes good sense. You can always buy another saw, but you've only got one body.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe.

In the end, it's down to personal choice. Stick with the pro saws in the top brands which have a good dealer nearby, and it's hard to go wrong.

Finally, I shouldn't have to say this, but will anyway. Set aside some money for PPE. A good helmet, safety glasses, ear protection, gloves, chaps, and steel-toe boots. It makes good sense. You can always buy another saw, but you've only got one body.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe.

Excellent advice!

Ah, yes, PPE. Running really big saws, I'd suggest taking a look at the Labonville 10 layer competition chaps. Possibly overkill, but I suspect it takes a lot of kevlar to stall a big saw.

My idea of the ultimate big wood two saw combo:
Dolmar PS-7900
McCullough SP125 (or Husky 3120 or Stihl 880 if you want to buy new)

Welcome to AS! I think that you would like the 372xpw or 372xp.:hmm3grin2orange: I have the 372xpw and I really like it. Its a great saw I have cant complain. Its great for cutting fire wood. Its not to heavy and it has a lot of power. I just muffler moded mine and I could not believe the difference it made in the sound and how is runs. Well good luck looking for a saw and keep us posted on what you find!

for all of you 372 cheerleaders, in case you haven't noticed there is a new sheriff in town. the 7900 is 1 hp more saw with only a few more ounces of weight for about the same money.

Not that you need any more input... but, go with your best dealer. I have two saws, a 346xpne which is the next best thing to a star wars lightsaber, and a stihl ms 460. If I had to do it over again, I would have probably got the dolmar 7900, about 150 bucks less then an ms460. 6 to 1, half dozen to the other. I have a really great stihl dealer and this set up works great for me.

When it comes to big wood in the 5-6' range there is no replacement for displacement particularly when cutting firewood where time is money.

for all of you 372 cheerleaders, in case you haven't noticed there is a new sheriff in town. the 7900 is 1 hp more saw with only a few more ounces of weight for about the same money.

RAH RAH RAH - if Husky can't do it nobody can! RAH RAH RAH

The 7900 gets his badge when the last 372 is laid to rest....

Stihl Ms460 ~ w/ Dual port cover # 1128 140 0801, retune saw
~ Use STIHL HP Ultra 2-Cycle Oil

Latest posts

Back