Brands of sawchain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quite honestly, for the firewood cutter (not a professional) I can't understand why Carlton is not a lot more popular. It is just so easy to keep up.

Mark

Carlton is not availiable here (easily), and I have no desire to try it anyway, because they lack the low-vibe chassis of the Oregons and the newer Stihls.

good heads up on windser , what about total ? think oregon makes husqvarna. use carlton easy to sharpen .easy to find. works good .sthil chain is good holds a edge good but hard to sharpen . a little pricy .got oregon on the 272 come with the saw seems to be a cutter haven,t tried to sharpen it yet .

Carlton is not availiable here (easily), and I have no desire to try it anyway, because they lack the low-vibe chassis of the Oregons and the newer Stihls.

low vibe chassis must mean slower cutting if low vibe means bigger rakers

Sandvik/Windsor was absorbed by Oregon, total is carlton, sabre was
made by Homelite, but was phased out during John Deere's feeding on
Homelite's carcass.....

One interesting note about Stihl, the one shop I was at, had some very
old rolls of Stihl chain. The rivets on this stuff were so tough, our chain
breaker couldn't do it, I had to grind the heads off first. The newer chain
the breaker handled easily.

I am going to have to go with stihl. I had never tried one until today, and to my homeowner sawyer shame when I was bucking a hard 20" hickory log this morning I damn near cut right through a rock about 2" thick. No vibration or anything. I was almost through the log, and saw a little spark...dang rock was hidden on the underside of the log in a small cavity. The chain is not nearly as bad as you'd think. A few minutes with my grinder and it may cut wood again. That's pretty darn impressive (the chain). :clap:

What about GB chain, is it any good?, every time i go to the GB website to
look up chain i get "This page is currently under construction":confused:

A couple of points

Carlton makes and has made a low vibe chassis chain for quite a while.

They just can't call it low vibe as that is a trademark

In local parlance (slang) it is called "double raker"

Sabre was a manufacturer on it's own as was Windsor

GB had mostly Carlton produced chain but also sold some Windsor and even some Stihl for harvester applications......don't know what they are selling now and don't really care.

They just can't call it low vibe as that is a trademark

In local parlance (slang) it is called "double raker" .....

I am pretty sure that the "double raker" mostly is about kickback reduction, although is probably has some smoothening effect as well.

Vibe ban (Oregon), Low vibe (Husky branded Oregon) and Comfort (Stihl) has an anti-vibe chassis.

LP does feel smoother to me than LGX and RSC, although both have the Vibe ban chassis.......

I'll get some pics and show you what I mean......the "double raker" as it is called locally has no guard links.....but has the drive link matched to the raker/depth gauge to reduce vibration........implemented in a slightly different way than Oregon but serves the same purpose.

The Husky/Oregon low vibe with the folded raker was great chain.....until you had to lower the depth gauges......then it was a pain

Back