Broken handle bar.......how can I fix it??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHL-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just aquired a Stihl 029 Super. The saw only has one major thing wrong with it, the handle bar is broken on the bottom of the saw. I noticed that this handle bar is made of plastic and hollow inside. Can a guy put a dowl pin/rod inside and glue back together? I really would hate to chuck it in the trash because of this problem. Any suggestions on how to fix it would be much appreciated! I included a pic of what i'm up against. Thanks

I agree with Brad. I tried the exact same thing in the same place on a ms360 handle. I put in a plastic pin and coated with some kinda glue for plastic, didn't hold up. I bought a ribbed plastic pin that was supposed to shove in, but not pull back out. nada.
now if you could sleeve it on the outside and bolt through... but I couldn't, mine broke where it went from round to flat.
-Ralph

I'd suggest a metal tube (type L copper for example) or rod inside, and pin in though the handle sections with 1/8 pins or bolts (what I meant by "both directions"). If you use bolts, grind off the heads so they are flush to the handle. I do this a lot on the rear handles of 044 etc (I use 10 guage wire or SS steel mesh), and it never fails... Be sure to mix your JB exacty in equal portions.

I'd suggest a metal tube (type L copper for example) or rod inside, and pin in though the handle sections with 1/8 pins or bolts (what I meant by "both directions"). If you use bolts, grind off the heads so they are flush to the handle. I do this a lot on the rear handles of 044 etc (I use 10 guage wire or SS steel mesh), and it never fails... Be sure to mix your JB exacty in equal portions.

You wouldn't happen to have an example picture you could post would you? I understand the concept, but sometimes need a visual aid to complete the thought. Thanks

You wouldn't happen to have an example picture you could post would you? I understand the concept, but sometimes need a visual aid to complete the thought. Thanks

I'll put it on the list... I need to fix a tank handle in the next week or so.. Might put in it a thread.

I do not know what the price for one is new but around here good used ones go for $25.00, handle only. I would think you could find one pretty easily with the volume of that series of saw that Stihl has sold. Not that I am against fixing it but for $25.00 you would not have to worry about it. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back