buddies been using motor oil instead of 2-stroke.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climber338

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello everybody my buddies been using motor oil instead of 2-stroke and none of his engines ever last a year. I have been telling him that thats the reason why hes gone though 3 trimmers in a season. He does no believe me when i tell him that and i would just like some back up on this subject. Anyways the question is why cant you use motor oil instead of 2-stroke? I know I know.

Two stroke oil stays in suspension longer, mixes with gasoline better, and has additives designed for two stroke motors. That being said regular oil used to be the only way to run two strokes until the mid 60's or so.

I bet he is doing something else stupid besides using regular oil to kill these engines. I bet this wizard is not too good at math and has no idea how to mix a proper ratio either

hello everybody my buddies been using motor oil instead of 2-stroke and none of his engines ever last a year. I have been telling him that thats the reason why hes gone though 3 trimmers in a season. He does no believe me when i tell him that and i would just like some back up on this subject. Anyways the question is why cant you use motor oil instead of 2-stroke? I know I know.
In the old days, it was common to use 30 weight motor oil for 2-stroke mix. But they mixed richer, like 16:1 or 25:1, and spark plugs fouled and had to be cleaned frequently.

Some people just have more money then brains, cant fix stupid. Let him tear up his saws and trimmers. Aint your problem.

If 3 dead trimmers in a season, isn't evidence in his face enough, try smacking him with one of the trimmers.

Seriously.
What could anyone possibly post, that would change his mind?

LOL!!!
I know some folks that are just as mule headed, and usually they only change thier minds a couple days after the doc removes the stitches.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If you have to ,in a pinch for example you need to mix it richer and tune accordingly

In the old days, it was common to use 30 weight motor oil for 2-stroke mix. But they mixed richer, like 16:1 or 25:1, and spark plugs fouled and had to be cleaned frequently.

:agree2:,well said:clap:
is he getting them fixed under warranty???????

Two stroke oil stays in suspension longer, mixes with gasoline better, and has additives designed for two stroke motors. That being said regular oil used to be the only way to run two strokes until the mid 60's or so.

I bet he is doing something else stupid besides using regular oil to kill these engines. I bet this wizard is not too good at math and has no idea how to mix a proper ratio either

Now that you say that i have seen him put some heavy diesel oil into his gas cans in the passed and i dont think that it was nearly enough for a proper mixture. Lucky for me i always mix my own stuff and have never used his gas before. Well ill tell him tomorrow and see what happens again. We are picking up leaves tomorrow morning and we will see what happens. my arms will probably hurt buy the end of the day from raking lol.

Is car oil designed to be burned in an engine? No. Inevitably some of it does slip by the rings in a 4 stroke, but not by design. 2 strokes are completely different in how they operate.

Having said that, if he's in denial, let him be. Probably isn't much you can say that would change his mind.

ive heard some dumb stories, and can tell u some pretty dumb ones ive heard personally from the years of riding 4 wheelers, but ive never heard anyone dumb enough to argue about using motor oil over 2 stroke mix, im sorry, no offense to your friend, thats just pretty bad, its 2010.. tell him to wake up

Latest posts

Back