Building a 390XP Monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
I don't care what anybody says, the sound of a ported Husky sounds way better than an equivalent Stihl :D

Six years ago,,,, I dont think I would have been saying this, but over time I have aquired several and am learning to work on them and I must say I am really liking them more and more,,,,,, my simonized 372 XP and Slinger/RR2'ed 390XP are my favorite saws for falling right now,,, Put 127 tons of timber on the ground/limbed/bucked and to the mill in a little over 3 days,,, and ya know what,,,,, didnt have time to cut one cookie!!!!!!!!!!!

so here goes MCW

"That makes at least 6 of us!!!!!"

There I said it!!!! coming from an old Creamsicle guy thats a mouthfull!!!!

Last edited:
mrgoodkat

mrgoodkat

ArboristSite Operative
I've wanted a 390xp for so long I can't stand it but everytime I have the money something happens. At least I have some new vids to live vicariously through lol! That's definitely an intimidating saw to hear running.

I don't care what anybody says, the sound of a ported Husky sounds way better than an equivalent Stihl :D

Here's my Snellerized 385XP set at about 14,300, with 4 exhaust ports on the muffler, and a cold start. This puppy is leaned out a bit, but you get the idea of how a ported 385xp/390xp can sound. I have yet to hear a Stihl in person that sounded anything like this saw(Crank yer audio up!):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4dWYBy2fPSs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And that puppy there is buried in a leaning Beech tree that has been in the shade all it's life. Rock hard gets thrown around a lot, but that is the hardest tree I have ever cut in my life.

Ya mean that near 'chair ya got from monkey####in' around with the trunk?

The saw does sing well.

I admit I don't have a lot of experience bore cutting as some, especially in hardwoods that are very heavy leaners like that one(it was also a very tall tree, as well). But that there is a textbook example of how the outfit I was with wants you to do them, so that's how I did them(well, I eventually went to less of an angle on the back cut because the angle they wanted I could feel pinching the bar on occasion). I've had a few pull like that, but none have chaired me yet. You know I value your experience and opinions, Randy, and if you got a safer way to do such a tree, I'd certainly like to know it. I've asked them about doing a post cut, but they say that is guaranteed to get a barber chair on a leaning Beech or Ash in these parts if it isn't perfect.