Building a SP125C / 101B Kart Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't tell me you missed all of us that much and now you've found us do we get more of your emails to block ?

Adam 345 or whatever go build a dyno then build the 101 then tell us if the 22 hp is achievable and at what RPM then all will know savy.

McBob.

He would still come back, I believe he
lacks attention. So he will always be a
pain in the Arssssssssssssssssssss

Lee

Their a ##### to start without a decompressor hope you have tough fingers mate
I really have to get my mind right to pull it, luckily, it almost always starts the first time but yea, it's a #####.
They don't have to look fancy to be a great saw but i like a bit of shine to mine just a personal thing really and shine doesn't make them any faster just prettier on the eyes
McBob.

I have all the parts to make a really nice looking black and chrome SP125 hotsaw, just haven't done it yet, one day though!
This saw here really looks pretty good, all the decals are still on it ect, just looks like a work saw, it's far from the time to sand it down and paint it.
On the bars, rollers are just to easy to get not to put one on an SP125, it just doesn't look as good with anything else. No matter what stage of life the saw is in, put a roller nose bar on it, just my .02.

Today I put a GEM muffler on one of my Kart saws. It originally had the directional type muffler that had been modified for the 101B exhaust port. IT worked ok, but this muffler to me looks really nice. This style is not as common as the conventional GEM box muffler. It fits much easier, and the two piece design makes it easier to mount.

Here is the exhaust port. Piston looks nice and clean.

001-10.jpg

Here is the bottom piece mounted. The third hole did not line up correctly. I will have to slot it a little to get the third screw in.

002-11.jpg

And here is the top piece mounted.

003-13.jpg

Today I put a GEM muffler on one of my Kart saws. It originally had the directional type muffler that had been modified for the 101B exhaust port. IT worked ok, but this muffler to me looks really nice. This style is not as common as the conventional GEM box muffler. It fits much easier, and the two piece design makes it easier to mount.

Here is the bottom piece mounted. The third hole did not line up correctly. I will have to slot it a little to get the third screw in.

002-11.jpg

And here is the top piece mounted.

003-13.jpg

Ambull, I thought that was a cool muffler as well. I passed on it as I already have two of the more boxier styles.

Personally, I like the way the two piece mufflers don't extend back as far towards your hand as the one piece GEM.

attachment.php

I had concerns with my front discharge that I would burn the sawdust flap but after a tank and a half Saturday morning no damage. I can't say that for my chaps though:

attachment.php

attachment.php

BTW do you have any plans to secure those bolts? I just know one on mine is going to find it's way into the exhaust port. I go back and forth between safety wire and stainless steel cotter pins. I thought of a locking plate as well but I don't want to interfere with the exhaust flow. My 125C is so much stronger than before the GEM. I don't know if it is so much the GEM as it is the removal of the old spark screen - but the saw sounds great even through ear muffs.

Ron

You branded your chaps. How do you do that? The muffler is on the right side and you somehow put the muffler against the chaps. You can clearly read GEM on the chaps. Are you left handed? What part of the chaps were branded? How do you run a saw?

Not on the 125's......They have the drug store logger look IMO......Hahahahahahaha!

Wow I don't even get that joke.....

Anyways, Ron, I like to use the 10-24 bolts with the locking patch on them. Never had one come loose. Check out this link, and click on the self locking screws:

McMaster-Carr

I have another saw with the larger Gem muffler on it, and the rear shroud needed to be trimmed. Plus it kind of stinks that the third hole has to be drilled right through the "E".

003-1.jpg

BTW Ron, you are the bigger man for posting those shots of your chaps. You obviously were doing something that was not normal, but aren't afraid to show everyone. I would have squashed that story in a hurry.

You branded your chaps. How do you do that? The muffler is on the right side and you somehow put the muffler against the chaps. You can clearly read GEM on the chaps. Are you left handed? What part of the chaps were branded? How do you run a saw?

This happened from bumping my leg as I carried the hot saw back to the truck. I'll learn now to carry it left handed or with the bar facing forward when carrying it right handed.

Wow I don't even get that joke.....

Anyways, Ron, I like to use the 10-24 bolts with the locking patch on them. Never had one come loose. Check out this link, and click on the self locking screws:

McMaster-Carr

I have another saw with the larger Gem muffler on it, and the rear shroud needed to be trimmed. Plus it kind of stinks that the third hole has to be drilled right through the "E".

003-1.jpg

I think he's trying to say that guys with kart mufflers are pretend loggers. Personally I don't pretend to be anything more than a firewood hack.

Thanks for the reference on the bolts. Ron

I've burned holes in two set of chaps, normally when the saw is turned on it's side making a horizontal cut as in felling, and using your hip to help push the saw along View attachment 210984

Mark

Mark, that's another thing I like about the big old MACs - sometimes you need some additional leverage just to keep them fed. Ron

Last edited:
I stick to the origional muffler the box type just pull the spark arrestor and refit the deflector i file out the exit hole for a little more performance but thats it.

I have a few spare NOS ones here.

McBob.

Well Ron, it was a good thing that you were wearing your chaps. You might otherwise be permanently wearing GEM in a location not too far from the Jewels. The time might have come one day when you would have had to explain why the brand said GEM and not GEMS. Then you would honestly have to say that you had an accident with a huge chain saw.
:chainsawguy: :D

Well Ron, it was a good thing that you were wearing your chaps. You might otherwise be permanently wearing GEM in a location not too far from the Jewels. The time might have come one day when you would have had to explain why the brand said GEM and not GEMS. Then you would honestly have to say that you had an accident with a huge chain saw.
:chainsawguy: :D

:ices_rofl:

OK Brad, I put together a vid to show how I start a 101B Mac. This one is .050 over, 129cc, no decomp. It has fresh rings, and I notice the compression has been on the rise, as it is getting harder and harder to turn over. Not the best cut, as I realized the filter was dirty after I made the cut.

[video=youtube;imVCsFHAx-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imVCsFHAx-g&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

Just bumping this vid. My bro Terry was looking for it......

Trust me, I haven't forgotten about this thread or the saws. I worked on 5 other saws last weekend that needed to be finished and moved out of the way. Also, I've volunteered to rebuild a 090G that was donated and will be sold to benefit Stumpy. I'll be back working on these soon though.

Trust me, I haven't forgotten about this thread or the saws. I worked on 5 other saws last weekend that needed to be finished and moved out of the way. Also, I've volunteered to rebuild a 090G that was donated and will be sold to benefit Stumpy. I'll be back working on these soon though.

No worries Brad, we know!! That's a good thing your doing.

Latest posts

Back