Building a SP125C / 101B Kart Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries Brad, we know!! That's a good thing your doing.

Thanks Will.

I did finally get a response back today from Boyesen.

Thank you for e-mailing the reed pictures to us. We have made this size reed in the past, in a single stage design, of fiber glass and carbon fiber material.

1) The price for a set (2 pcs) in fiber glass material is $27.95 USD plus a $20 set-up fee, total amount of $47.95 USD + shipping.

2) The price for a set (2 pcs) in carbon fiber material is $47.63 USD plus a $20 set-up fee, total amount of $67.63 USD + shipping.

Please also let us know the material and material thickness of your stock reed.

Please contact us if you have any additional questions, or if you would like to place an order.

Ambull , you are fairly close to my location . I saw an add on craigslist for chainsaw modding in NE PA . Do you have any knowledge of this/who or quality of work ?

Thanks, John

Cutting out reeds is the same as cutting thick paper, find the material you want and snip them right out.

Where do you get the material? I've got some old Macs and Homelites that have steel reeds which I'd like to replace with some fresh reeds made from 'modern' material.

Where do you get the material? I've got some old Macs and Homelites that have steel reeds which I'd like to replace with some fresh reeds made from 'modern' material.

Happy Holidays E...I use the same grade as the stock reeds from my Homelites and yellows. I get mine at the local hobby shop in sheets just a couple bucks a sheet and can't tell the difference when done cutting and works just like stock reeds. Take one off the Homelite and match the thickness pretty thin stuff when you go to the hobby shop you'll see the sheet you'll need...-T

Happy Holidays E...I use the same grade as the stock reeds from my Homelites and yellows. I get mine at the local hobby shop in sheets just a couple bucks a sheet and can't tell the difference when done cutting and works just like stock reeds. Take one off the Homelite and match the thickness pretty thin stuff when you go to the hobby shop you'll see the sheet you'll need...-T

Thanks T. Have you pulled any of your home made reeds (made from this material) after extended running to see if they show any signs of fatigue or fraying?

Supposedly the Boyson reeds are "two stage" I think, which gives a better response at idle and better top end. Have no idea how much difference it makes, but I have been told that it makes a huge difference. I am guessing that there are two thicknesses involved....... I wonder if they sell "uncut" versions of those reeds that you can cut yourself....? Or is it just two thin reeds that are partially overlapped?

here ya go-
'"PLUS Optimization uses multi-staged reed petals to distribute the engine’s pulse forces over more surface area. By using a multiple reed petal stack, it is possible to acheive peak horsepower AND durability. The patented multi-stage design incorporates a specially shaped top reed petal and a ported bottom reed petal. The top petal is lightweight and resilient for crisp throttle response at partial throttle or low RPMs. The stiffer, bottom petal is ported to provide maximum flow and horsepower at higher RPMs."

attachment.php

I'm sure what most of you are missing is the total reed area thats why the V4 reed gives the 101 and the SP125 such a lift in performance and why i chose to modifiy the airbox to let one use the sloper manifold and V4 reed block and keep stock appearance .

v4c_452x339.jpg

bdc_11a.jpg

v4f_448x338.jpg

And heres what a stock bog 125c goes like with this conversion.

Heres a good read on reshaping the reed stoppers for increased performasnce .................
http://macbobaust.com/steve3.html

McBob.

Last edited:
I'd try V-Force Tassinarri to make you a complete carbon fiber reed system........if you want the best!

That would be AWESOME! I'm going to look into that!

Chainsaws don't need a two stage reed. I switched from two stage to V-force in my ATV and I can tell more in the low end than the top, both were vastly improved. At some point in the process the carbon fiber is a sheet, just check around and find a sheet big enough to do the job. V-force, these guys Carbon Tech- Reeds That Win Championships or here http://www.treatland.tv/SearchResults.asp?Search=reed+sheet, I'm sure somebody will sell a little piece of carbon fiber and it can't cost but so much.

Last edited:
Back