Building a SP125C / 101B Kart Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Options are beginning to open up. I believe I have found a good block. I won't know for sure, or have a price until next week.

What do you guys know about a Reed sloper intake that takes a Go Power 6-petal reed block? A Tilly HL bolts on directly. They originally came with a early flatback carb?

Who makes this V4 sloper that I have coming? Is that a Gem product?

Anyone able to shed light on these intakes?

I don't know much about these intakes.
The V6 should be an interesting one.
Mine has a V4 intake that has REED cast
into it. I believe thats who made it.
There were a bunch of companies making
intakes for these Mac's back in the day.
I would hit the kart forums for better info.

Lee

The Reed 458 sloper manifold uses the Pyramid reed cage, with either 4 or 6 reeds. A Tillotson HL carburetor bolts directly onto the Reed 458. Reed Engineering made a lot of parts for Mac and West Bend- intakes, exhaust headers, mufflers, transfer covers, etc.

The V-4 sloper was made by McCulloch itself, Reed Engineering made one, and GEM made one. I've seen them all advertised in my old Karting World magazines.
As with most things, the factory Mac part is the best.

There was also an aftermarket company called Mac Engineering which I don't believe was a part of McCulloch, but rather a stand alone mom and pop company. They made V-12 and V-16 manifolds. I have a flat-top Mac Engineering V-16 manifold.

GEM also made the V-6 manifold in a traditional style intake and stuffer intake. They made the most popular dual-carb manifold which is a traditional V-12.

Hovey Engineering made a traditional "goose-neck" V-6 manifold for the early 9-port blocks, like the Mc-6 through Mc-9.

Thanks Jacob.

I'll try to get pictures of these manifolds up this weekend in this thread. I have one each of most of them. Like Lee mentioned, the possibilities with these old Mac engines are far and wide and between porting, piston configuration, and intake/exhaust- a guy can tune these motors to do just about anything.

I'll try to get pictures of these manifolds up this weekend in this thread. I have one each of most of them. Like Lee mentioned, the possibilities with these old Mac engines are far and wide and between porting, piston configuration, and intake/exhaust- a guy can tune these motors to do just about anything.

Pics would be awesome:clap:

You can do up a SP-125 first. I still have one here with your name on it.

Hey Put me on that list for the next one,,, and if will sneezes,,, I'll snake him on it!!!!

Did you ever find me a unlimited coil for the new 390 XP???

and a 390 muffler,,, It seems my hotrod had a little accident!!!

Nice saws Brad,,,,, I'm suscribing!!!!

Last edited:
Brad, Ive been fallowing along on your thread. Thanks to you there were four yellow saws in my dreams last night. I gotta unsubscribe before I catch a fever.

Brad, Ive been fallowing along on your thread. Thanks to you there were four yellow saws in my dreams last night. I gotta unsubscribe before I catch a fever.

Haha, its not hard mate, its good to see others still like playing with the old girls.
I'm following this thread also.

What's this about a coil and a muffler? What are you needing?

Sorry Brad,,,

I didnt mean to Hijack your thread i was trying to catch JJ but he had already bugged out,,,,
nice looking Macs you have there,,,

My 390XP hotrod took an unexpected ride off of the stump with a rather large yellow pine driving last week when I accidently cut through one side of the hinge on the back cut,,, kind of gave the muffler a rather smushed faced look,,, but I got lucky besides a few scratches thats about all that happened,,,

on the parts,,,

and I was hunting a used 390 muffler for my older saw and an unlimited Husky coil for my new 390XP I bought from Spike right after you started the Monster 390XP thread,,,, talk about yellow fever,,,, I think I'm coming down with something too!!!!

Ya,,, My CAD,,, it's BAD!!!! :biggrin:

Haha, its not hard mate, its good to see others still like playing with the old girls.
I'm following this thread also.

That's what I'm thinkin!!!!

Last edited:
Sorry Brad,,,

I didnt mean to Hijack your thread i was trying to catch JJ but he had already bugged out,,,,
nice looking Macs you have there,,,

My 390XP took an unexpected ride off of the stump with a rather large yellow pine driving last week when I accidently cut through one side of the hinge on the back cut,,, kind of gave the muffler a rather smushed faced look,,, but I got lucky besides a few scratches thats about all that happened,,,

on the parts,,,

and I was hunting a used 390 muffler for my older saw and an unlimited Husky coil for my new 390XP I bought from Spike right after you started the Monster 390XP thread,,,, talk about yellow fever,,,, I think I'm coming down with something too!!!!

Ya,,, My CAD,,, it's BAD!!!! :biggrin:

I believe I've got a muffler for you if you still need one. Let me know.

I believe I've got a muffler for you if you still need one. Let me know.

Thanks Brad,,, I will get back to you when I have had time to really look at it a bit better tomorrow after church,,,,,, I cant wait to see how those Macs turn out,,,,

I was working on shop stuff all day today and didnt really have time to throw it up on the bench an have a good look @ it,,,

On a lighter note,,, I did luck up on a good low hr Stihl FS 120 brush cutter that we took in on trade today,,, the muffler still has the white heat paint splotch on it :rock::rock::rock: the guy said it had not run in the last year or two and it was just too heavy,,,,, he wanted a new 4 stroke Kombi with a ton of attachments,,, I think they gave him $60.00 trade in,,, ,,,

I opened the fuel cap,,, and it looked like premix syrup,,,,, I flushed/drained it a few times with fresh Ultra Mix,,, primed it for about ten cycles to flush the carb a bit choked it and it started on the second pull,, I got it off choke while still running on fast start and it took off!!!! blipped the throttle and it purred like a kitten!!!! couldnt believe it,,,,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back