Building a tall stable wood stack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This year, a tall stable stack is being planned. As I'm splitting wood, I'm tossing the square/rectangle pieces off to the side.

So far so good, curving in towards the center to help push back any pressure from the center. 6 feet high, ~20 long, 16" cuts. This is my secondary stack for Winter 2018/19, and I'll do a minimum of 4 such rows, about 5 cords. My 2018/19 primary stack that normally gets fully burned also holds about 5 cords. My primary and secondary get flipped around every year.

WoodStack 001 (600x800).jpg WoodStack 002 (600x800).jpg WoodStack 007 (800x600).jpg

This year, a tall stable stack is being planned. As I'm splitting wood, I'm tossing the square/rectangle pieces off to the side.

So far so good, curving in towards the center to help push back any pressure from the center. 6 feet high, ~20 long, 16" cuts. This is my secondary stack for Winter 2018/19, and I'll do a minimum of 4 such rows, about 5 cords. My 2018/19 primary stack that normally gets fully burned also holds about 5 cords. My primary and secondary get flipped around every year.

View attachment 660169 View attachment 660170 View attachment 660171

Good luck. From long experience the lesson learned is that a rick of wood NEVER quits 'working' I have had 6' ricks stacked tight against one another fall over after 20 years (Black Locust, never rots).

I've been doing this for over 5 years. Never with good end pieces. Usually, I make work with whatever is in my hand and the very moment. Amazing that I haven't had a collapse so far. The little dog is bold and fearless (i.e. stupid) and would be the victim in a collapse, so it is my responsibility to make it as sturdy as possible.

I stack on pallets now, tired of re stacking. Its been one year on some and only lost part of one when I clipped it with the trailer. IMG_20171208_141428262.jpgTry not to go over 4' so about half cord per pallet. I'm not stacking in a closed space so not the same I guess.

F482E03F-A1A1-4291-8BAA-C3473A3521BA.jpeg Mine isn’t a closed space either but I thought I would throw it out. The pallets are repurposed industrial heavy plastic, no rot. 52”x52”x6”. I drive 2 6 1/2’ t-posts on each end. 2 pallets is one cord. I stack just over 4’ high and cover with a heavy duty tarp. The guy I buy the pallets from sells them for $5 each, to me they’re worth it.

But its dry. I can barely keep the driveway plowed. Keeping a detached woodshed accessible is beyond my meager equipment capability. I do get a rat or two in there, but I've a mean nasty rat trap that nearly cuts them in half.

Personally I think a stack of wood that high is dangerous. I also don't like stacking wood next to structures since it provides habitat for chipmunks, mice, ants, etc. Just my .02.

It does look nice though. :)

When I delivered to Newport CA. many years ago the owner had the wood stacked up to 50'. It took a pretty expert team to get the job done right. Never heard of any stacks falling over. He had about 1/4 acre for wood storage and he made it count. He never had less than 300 cords on hand at any time. When I pulled up to his yard at 6 AM with my 7 cords it was unloaded and stacked in less than an hour. Thanks

That reminded me of a guy that lived by my father in law, he had a 1/4 acre lot with a fire wood fence around the whole place. Even had a archway. I don't think it ever fell over, guess I don't stack it right.

Here in the Southern Cal mountains we have very little level ground so finding areas suitable for stacking is difficult. I have a area that is close to my access road and is reasonable place for wood storage. It amounts to about 400 SF and is good for about 12' high. I tried to never let the pile get less than 12 cords. It also must look nice and neat so the fire department does not come along with a citation. I have had at least 4 guys working for me saying that they would stack my Oak while between different jobs. I always told them that if the stacks held they would get paid double. In 30 years not one person has ever collected. One guy was so determined that he stacked about 5 cords three times in 10 days and it still fell over. For most part the stacks need to be straight and lean on each other. Thanks

Here in the Southern Cal mountains we have very little level ground so finding areas suitable for stacking is difficult. I have a area that is close to my access road and is reasonable place for wood storage. It amounts to about 400 SF and is good for about 12' high. I tried to never let the pile get less than 12 cords. It also must look nice and neat so the fire department does not come along with a citation. I have had at least 4 guys working for me saying that they would stack my Oak while between different jobs. I always told them that if the stacks held they would get paid double. In 30 years not one person has ever collected. One guy was so determined that he stacked about 5 cords three times in 10 days and it still fell over. For most part the stacks need to be straight and lean on each other. Thanks

Yep. One rick vertical, one on each side leaning in slightly. Even that didn't hold for me. outside rick on one side of a 20 year old pile of firewood fell over this spring and the next one in will do so in a few more years. They never quit working. Ma nature and gravity wins. One can have a perfectly vertical stack but one needs to patrol it with a maul every few weeks and knock it back vertical.

Back