Building the perfect rope bage...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bag design

Wouldn't at least one simple backpack shoulder strap be handy when packing lots of gear to the base of a tree?

One way where you could get a fairly stiff bag would be to build your bag with multiple layers of fabric, in some areas, sewn with an industrial machine. This could make for a bag that wouldn't dry out readily and would be prone to mildew.

About 5 Slots could be made for the bag that would hold say 2" wide plastic material about the weight of the 5 gallon bucket plastic. The user has the option of removing them for a soft collapsible bag.

A fabric that I've used that I've never seen mildew and outlasts heavy nylon thread is called "Top Gun". We use it for ATV covers and it spends it's time in the sun/weather 24/7 for many years and the only repairs are re-stitching where the thread has given up to the ultraviolet.
I can sew this stuff together and the way it cinches down with an industrial machine using either a french fell seam or similar and a good nylon F thread it makes for a basically water tight bag.

A light weight nylon fabric top could be attached that would cinch down with draw cords. Keep inside stuff clean and protect the contents in the back of the rig with lots of gear banging around. This would then require a 5 second effort to loosen and fold back over the outside of the bag for each use. So maybe not a good idea there.

I hashed out the final details with the person that will be doing the sewing. For now we'll call her "The Bag Lady"!!! If all goes as plan, this bag will be flexible, strong, long lasting and be able to keep its shape to allow easy rope loading. I even added a couple other features that I'll show after I get a few made. As I mentioned in "another forum", it will be about a month or so before I get all the material ordered and put one together. At this point, the design concept is done. Its just a matter of trying to put it together and working out any sewing details or design problems that may arise. After the bugs are worked out and a workable bag is built, it'll likely be taken apart to make the pattern so others could be made. To everyone here who offered there suggestions, Thank You!!! HC

Ive got two buckingham bags which are good plus some made by Scott (The Cutting Edge)Sharpe out off truck tarp material, one smaller and oval shaped for taking aloft( it fits a 40 metre rope).

smokechase II said:
Wouldn't at least one simple backpack shoulder strap be handy when packing lots of gear to the base of a tree?

One way where you could get a fairly stiff bag would be to build your bag with multiple layers of fabric, in some areas, sewn with an industrial machine. This could make for a bag that wouldn't dry out readily and would be prone to mildew.

About 5 Slots could be made for the bag that would hold say 2" wide plastic material about the weight of the 5 gallon bucket plastic. The user has the option of removing them for a soft collapsible bag.

A fabric that I've used that I've never seen mildew and outlasts heavy nylon thread is called "Top Gun". We use it for ATV covers and it spends it's time in the sun/weather 24/7 for many years and the only repairs are re-stitching where the thread has given up to the ultraviolet.
I can sew this stuff together and the way it cinches down with an industrial machine using either a french fell seam or similar and a good nylon F thread it makes for a basically water tight bag.

A light weight nylon fabric top could be attached that would cinch down with draw cords. Keep inside stuff clean and protect the contents in the back of the rig with lots of gear banging around. This would then require a 5 second effort to loosen and fold back over the outside of the bag for each use. So maybe not a good idea there.
yes bro they have several

Ready for production...

Well, it took a little longer that I thought it would but its finally done! I have the first Rope BAG made. All thats missing is the grommets, drawstring and thumb-lock. Here are a few pics to look at, enjoy and tell me what you think so far! :popcorn: HC

Last edited:
thoughts

If you're going to do a grommet closure. Easier to build but less protective.
Grommet closure bag will have a reduced capacity vs. a fabric cinch flap.

Drawstring top should be made from a lighter fabric.
If it is from a soft light fabric it'll cinch down easier. The stiffer the fabric, the wider the drawstring slot will need to be.

You will probably find with use over time that the material you used for the bag will loose its stiffness and collapse a bit more readily.
You could make those webbing sew down into a slot by just leaving the top open. Then put stays, some sort of plastic strips, maybe even a light masonite, into them. This wouldn't keep the bag open, but would maintain a vertical component. The contents would then tend to keep the bag spread open.

Hey Smoke, I was debating if I should go with a Nylon top or not. Could have made it any way I wanted but figured this would be the easiest for now. As far as the stays are concerned... a slot was made on the upper part of the web handle near the rim of the bag. A strip of plastic (heavy gage lock-tie), would be slipped through the slot to add stiffness to the bag sides. If its damaged, it could be removed or replaced with little effort! Now that you mentioned it, that is a good idea about the grommets. The CMI bag I have is a bit of a PITA with its small grommets! Problem is I already bought enough grommets to make 35 bags. Thanks for your input. HC

Last edited:
hobby climber said:
Okie, I know you can step through the handles of the CMI bags, most guys can, but........I take a size 13 1/2 boot!!! Hence my delema! HC

Why not just use one of your old boots? :cheers:

Its been a while since I started this post. With lots of suggestions from everyone here & at "another tree forum", I've come up with a decent bag that can be loaded w/rope by one person without it collapsing over. Strong, functional & reasonably priced, :rock:. The ones available are 12" round by15" tall with a pull cord closure. I've tossed it 60' out of a tree on to a hard surface and it held together just fine. There are some 16' bags in the works but am waiting on some more material to arrive! If anyone is interested just PM me & we'll take it from there.

Last edited:
The primary bag is blue because its a bit stiffer than the other colors. I may keep it all blue but haven't decided yet. I just got some more material in today so I'll have more made up within a few weeks. I do have about 4 15" bags ready now if your interested. The same ones in the pics above as a matter of fact. I'm now working on a 16" bag with added webbing sewn along the side between the two handles. The prototype isbeing field tested at this time by "LumberJack"(Carl). Once there made, I'll post some pictures. The bags are $25.00 cdn each. The envelopes are $2.00 each...I can fit two bags in one envelope! Plus the shipping which is the killer!!!:cry: Its sent via Canada Post and it depends on where its being sent. I've had it as low as $8.& change and as high as $13.00 . Remember I live in Canada and crossing the border is the issue regarding shipping! HC

I'm going to be doing some tree work for an owner of a company that makes a product & ships it to the USA. He has offered to help me with my shipping (high cost), issue in the future. Nothing in stone yet but I have my fingers crossed! So as it stands now, the bags are $25.00cdn ea, envelopes are $2.00 ea. Plus the mailing charge, (approx. $8 -$13...sorry), Total between $35. to $40.cdn to your door. I have been placing a copy of the mailing charge into the envelope just to keep things above board. I'm new to this bag biz stuff and I will be looking into a more reasonable way to ship, (across the boarder)! Good news is, this is a good sturdy bag that does stand up on its own so you can load it with rope without having to hold it open! Primary use is for your climbing rope at this time. Also, I may be able to Jazz it up a bit with custom graphics & company logos on bulk orders but thats a ways off in the future at this time. Feel free to PM me or post here with any questions/digestions you may have. Thanks. HC

its here...

Just finished making a 16" bag. Using the new blue material and making it blue on blue & NOT yellow, it maintains its shape very well and does not need stiffeners! I tweaked the construction design a little and am very pleased with the way it turned out!!! Only have the one bag ready...ran out of the webbing and am waiting my order to arrive. Here are some pics of the 16" bag & a 14" bag. You'll notice that the handles are wider apart on the 16 and the stitching for the vertical seam is inside the handle! So, what do you think? HC

Last edited:
I might be intrested in one...

What type of payment options do you offer ? Paypal?

Have you found any cheaper shipping?

Mailing from one country to another (via post office), is brutal $$$! I'm working on a better more practical method though a different company. I hope to get it all straitened out some time next week. Lets just say he needs some tree work done,;) !!! BTW, I sent you a PM. HC

I like that, man! Something I noticed.. (just my opinion and not bashing your design in any way, you're there and I'm not :-D ) The handles seem like they'd want to pull the drawstring apart when you pick it up, from the weight of the rope. If I'd made 'em (and I am pretty handy with a Singer) I'd have let the handles separate lower down and reinforced that point with a ring of webbing around the circumference. Just my .02.. :clap:

Taylor

I thought of that. They do that on the bags that have the soft nylon top. On mine, its sewn (zig-zag) along the lower seam of the upper rim so you don't need the extra webbing for support. The handles (the way I have it), also help hold the bags shape to stay open by doing it this way. Besides, there is a thumb lock that holds the draw-string in place so there is no worries of the bag opening as one lifts on the handles. A lot of thought was put into this 16" bag to address the different issues and I believe I have a winner with this one! Thanks for your input, I hope this helps. HC

Back