Building the ultimate sleeper saw.... 46cc Craftsman into a ported 72cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, that's awesome! Makes me wish I had a machine shop, knowledge, and a pile of old saws. Can't wait to see the videos.

That is freaking awesome. And I thought my 60cc poulan was a sleeper. The AM 038 parts are even cheaper than the OEM 60cc poulan top end. I may have to consider a project like this. I'm amazed that it went together as (relatively) easily as it did. Great work.

This would be a great upgrade for the 330/380/3450/3750 series of saws. They are very similar. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the crankcase was a bit wider. It may reduce some of the clearancing that needed to be done on the cylinder and flywheel.

Freaking Awesome!!!:msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbsup:

Are you going to put an 056 Magnum top end on yours?

Love to see that with the dual port exhaust towards the back.

Ed, I would have waited for a buildoff, at least a race of some sort. Wheres the guy that said Poulans were nothing but complete junk? I don't think a MS250 could absorb that much extra power. I have doubts that an 026 would hold up.

I've been fighting with the stomach flu all week.... I think it won this morning. :msp_sad:

I am very impressed with the work so far and your vision for doing such a Mod. It shows your over all knowlege of many different brands of saws and your skills as a mechanic and machinist. I like it.

I tried to rep you but I have to spread some around.

Thank you, but I'm not a machinist, just a beginner trying to learn. My friend is the experienced machinist, he was coaching me.

Nice work, Ed! That Craftsman looks familiar. :msp_wink:

Yep. :D

Do your bushings have a lip to contain the piston pin? Then the circlips hold the bushing?

Tom, the bushings has a very slight taper on the end. They get installed from the center of the piston with the taper towards the rod. They basically lock into place.

Thank you, but I'm not a machinist, just a beginner trying to learn. My friend is the experienced machinist, he was coaching me.

Yep. :D

Tom, the bushings has a very slight taper on the end. They get installed from the center of the piston with the taper towards the rod. They basically lock into place.

If you need another Craftsman, I think I saw one in the pile at one of my local dealers.

So, what numbers did ya end up with? Cutting the skirt take your intake way up?

Also, What was the stroke difference between em?

The timing numbers were EX. 106
TR. 130
IN. 77

I may go back and raise the transfers some.

I adjusted them to ... EX. 100
TR. 130
IN. 80

The stroke is the same on both. There was plenty of skirt. That's how I adjusted the number, by trimming the skirt instead of dropping the port.

The jug is done and fits.

IMG_8573.jpg

I used an intake from an 044. The original was tiny.

IMG_8717.jpg

Here's how the original looked.

IMG_8418.jpg

I had to Dremel the plastic opening larger to fit the bigger intake.

IMG_8705.jpg

Here's how it looks now.

IMG_8725.jpg

ModifiedMark was nice enough to tell me the larger carb that is a direct bolt on. It's an HDA ?? ( I forget). He did tell me that series carb had some issues. I thought I bought an nos older one (before the problems). But I'm thinking not. The low screw is probably 2.5 full turns out. :msp_mellow:
It 4 strokes fine, but something don't seem right with the carb. Maybe Mark will chime in and explain the issues. New carb is on the right.

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8727.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back