burning uglies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenskeeper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
5th fire so far this "season", not even close to getting to the good stuff. If you have room to store the uglies can make for nice "take the chill out" fires during the fall.

I keep and burn all my "nubs" and anything i cant split that will.still fit through the door..lol

Attachments

• 2012-11-18 18.20.20.jpg
    2012-11-18 18.20.20.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 60
This is what often goes in the little stove we added upstairs - I slice off crotches and knots short (less than 14") and noodle them up into blocks. Right now it's burning ash, walnut, hickory and pine - gonna freeze tonight they say.

This is what often goes in the little stove we added upstairs - I slice off crotches and knots short (less than 14") and noodle them up into blocks. Right now it's burning ash, walnut, hickory and pine - gonna freeze tonight they say.

I was checking out the weather channel saturday night and saw that freeze warning as well. I can't even say I've gotten into my ugly pile yet. That's my 1st row in the back of the property. It's mostly odd balled short length oak and sugar maple splits, wierd crotch sections that refused to be split, or tough knotty stuff. That, believe it or not is what I still consider my primo stuff, just because of the btu's built into them. What I'm burning now is my pine and poplar mix. That will probably last me until almost the end of october, then I'll start looking at my 2 rows of red maple.

I am pretty well through my regular BTU small stuff uglies. I have burnt about two face cords of 16" so far this season, haven't needed a match to restart the stove in probably three weeks.

The high calorie uglies I can get to pretty fast when I need them once it gets really cold. I got some really nice spruce uglies off the seasoning racks and into the shed this year. 8x8x8 inch triangles with a bunch of twist in them and big old globs of solidified sap. If I toss those in with the cat in the stove already hot those are going to be real nice when it gets down to 30 below. I got some two year old birch crotches into the shed this year too; I noodled one open, found 16% MC and loaded the lot of them into my shed. The crotches ought to burn a good long time.

To me an ugly is anything that would make the stack of regular splits fall over during seasoning.

I've always wondered - what is this "uglies" you folks are always posting about? All wood is beautiful to me. :)

Especially forks & knots, to me. Really high fiber density, great for those slow, steady burns during a "long winter's nap". I built a special storage bin for them, since they won't stack. Plywood roof, open lattice sides of ripped tubafore scraps- holds ~.5 cord. Toss 'em in during spring & summer; unscrew a few of the side pieces holding 'em in, load a few into log-carrier bag.

Could have filled it a couple of times this year, from trimming pieces to length mainly.

I keep pretty much everything. Twigs, branches, limbs, roots, uglies. I have bins, baskets, skids, etc where I sort the stuff out. I have fire starter boxes, wood that goes in after the kindling to get a good bed of coals and then my main course stuff. Shorties, uglies, hlaf rotten ,etc. It all gets dried in the bottom of the barn and burnt. No BTU left behind.

Uglys lol, I always called them unstackables or buts . I love the crotches . I'll blow them apart with the splitter and chunk them up with a 12 " miter saw I got at a yard sale for 10$ into 4-5 inch chunks . I usually have about 10-15 55gallon plastic drums filled by winter . Pile those babies in and they burn for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to try and sell 'splitter turds' by the bagful. Not big enough for dealing with, but too big to throw away. I call them 'scat bags.' Sold one so far to a customer who was actually cutting up the other firewood I sold him so they would be in smaller chunks. It's good bagging for the kids to do.

I decided to try and sell 'splitter turds' by the bagful. Not big enough for dealing with, but too big to throw away. I call them 'scat bags.' Sold one so far to a customer who was actually cutting up the other firewood I sold him so they would be in smaller chunks. It's good bagging for the kids to do.

I found out something about those bags, they don't take well to sitting out in the hot georgia summer sun too well, starting to disintegrate.

I have horses and dogs, so I use the feed bags that are kinda plastic woven together. I have a sweet little stapler that I staple the top together. Throw those bags in the loft of the barn and the dry up really nice. Wood is wood boy and girls :)

Fist size and bigger chunks get thrown into voids in my stack. I deal with them throughout the winter. I bring them in in a large wheeled trash can. I collect smaller stuff in other trash cans that have been "used up" ie no lids or holes worn in the bottoms. I have experimented with drilling holes in the sides and it doesn't really seem to make a difference. As long as you keep them from getting wet the splitter trash dries pretty quickly. I bring the splitter trash in throughout the winter for kindling. I hate waste. I figure if I drag it home it better make some heat.

I just took my dad half a trailer load of dry bark. I had been splitting some big rounds that have been stacked for a couple years. Lots of elm and black locust. I have fairly close neighbors and a woodstove that works best when you shovel ashes. I don't go out of the way to debark but if it peels off easily... He lives further from his neighbors and has a furnace with shaker grates. He has been burning nothing but bark for the past couple of weeks.

I just brought in about 1/12 cord of ugly stuff leftover from some wood I cut for sale. I always intended to top off a cord with them someday, but I am behind on my personal wood and this would have been year three that I have not used them.

Have not burned real wood yet, splitter scraps and Doug fir bark is helping also.

Latest posts

Back