Buy the MS 290 or spend the extra money for the more powerful .........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
.......MS 362??

The 290 will do everything I need.....but weighs 13 lbs!!
The 362 is also 13lbs, but more modern technology, and stronger, BUT $300 more money!!!
No doubt the 362 is the choice, and I can afford either.....But I'd like to justify the extra $300 cost.
I'm 66 years young and cut a lot of downed Oaks and Pine...(read clean up)..
If I'm gonna use a 13lb saw, I would like the most power....but again, $300 extra !!??
I live on 25 acres, but only clean up about 8 to 9 acres....but many trees are Live Oak and Water Oak.

Can I really justify the $700 vs $400 cost? Or is the Farm Boss 290 the best buy for me?

Note: I've been using chain saws all my life and keep them a long time....see my Super XL post....
I've been doing this clean up for 40 + years with the Super XL Automatic and later added a Husky 51....
both are still working.....but getting old.

Is the 362 REALLY worth almost twice the cost of the 290 ?......IF so, WHY??

Thanks Y'All,
Andy

.......MS 362??

The 290 will do everything I need.....but weighs 13 lbs!!
The 362 is also 13lbs, but more modern technology, and stronger, BUT $300 more money!!!
No doubt the 362 is the choice, and I can afford either.....But I'd like to justify the extra $300 cost.
I'm 66 years young and cut a lot of downed Oaks and Pine...(read clean up)..
If I'm gonna use a 13lb saw, I would like the most power....but again, $300 extra !!??
I live on 25 acres, but only clean up about 8 to 9 acres....but many trees are Live Oak and Water Oak.

Can I really justify the $700 vs $400 cost? Or is the Farm Boss 290 the best buy for me?

Note: I've been using chain saws all my life and keep them a long time....see my Super XL post....
I've been doing this clean up for 40 + years with the Super XL Automatic and later added a Husky 51....
both are still working.....but getting old.

Is the 362 REALLY worth almost twice the cost of the 290 ?......IF so, WHY??

Thanks Y'All,
Andy

I sell saws everyday, all you need is the 290, you are on a enthisiast site were it is pro saws or nothing, 70cc's and larger, there is a good reason the 290 is the best seling saw in America, unless you are cutting more than 20 cord a year or doing commercial work the 290 is a proven platform going back to the 029, we just never see them come back in, easy to work on, carb is easy to service, just a dependable farm/ranch personal firewood saw, it prolly puts more wood on the ground than any other model of saw today. Solid and dependable, best value on the market in my somewhat biased opinion, best thing it is made in VA Beach by American workers.

How about 5 or 10 years from now? Will you be able to get the 300.00 back in resale value in
your area? ........Al

Another saw that might fit your needs is the Echo 500p if you are weight sensistive only 10 lbs, slightly less performance a true 50cc saw, but a Shindawia design a very nice saw, runs about 469-

I personally like light weight high performance saws.

You might want to shop around a bit more. :msp_wink:

Not likely to shop around.....
I live in a small South Georgia coastal town without even a traffic light in the whole county....
But we do have a very good Stihl Dealer.....I know the owners and the service technician has been fixin' everything I own for many years and is a friend.....

.......290 or 362 ?? AND Why??

Thanks,
Andy

362:
20% more power +
Better anti-vibration +
Better air filtration +
Magnesium case and clutch cover +
Stratified charge cylinder +
3/8 chain standard =
$300 more than MS290
Blue point vs Snapon
Chevy vs Cadillac
You get what you pay for, but Husqy has better sideways balance while in the cut! :givebeer:

I live in a small South Georgia coastal town without even a traffic light in the whole county....
But we do have a very good Stihl Dealer.....I know the owners and the service technician has been fixin' everything I own for many years and is a friend.....

Thanks,
Andy
Between those two, I'd have to go with the 362. More power for the same weight. Metal case vs plastic case. My brother has had a ms290 for 7 years and he's had problems. For the last year and a half he's been running two older Huskys I gave him.

MS261 would be lighter than the 290 at about the same power and metal case...

Between those two, I'd have to go with the 362. More power for the same weight. Metal case vs plastic case. My brother has had a ms290 for 7 years and he's had problems. For the last year and a half he's been running two older Huskys I gave him.

MS261 would be lighter than the 290 at about the same power and metal case...

Thanks......I'd forgotten about the 261......

Thanks,
Andy

You want us to talk you into the 362, don't you. And why not? It's a good choice.

The 290 is a fine little saw but I can read between the lines...you're lusting after that 362. :)

The 362 is also a fine saw and it will pull a little bigger bar with more authority than the 290. Where the 290 might struggle a bit, the 362 will just loaf through the wood without straining. It's better to have just a tad more saw than you need, than not quite enough.

In all your life have you ever been sorry when you spent just a few extra dollars and got just exactly what you wanted?

Just go get the 362. Believe me, we understand.

I'm afraid indiansprings is way too rational and XSKIER is way too factual.:msp_biggrin: Go with your gut and your gut is saying 362. Simply, you will never regret owning a high quality piece of equipment. But of course I'm being way too CADish!

Last edited:
You want us to talk you into the 362, don't you. And why not? It's a good choice.

The 290 is a fine little saw but I can read between the lines...you're lusting after that 362. :)

The 362 is also a fine saw and it will pull a little bigger bar with more authority than the 290. Where the 290 might struggle a bit, the 362 will just loaf through the wood without straining. It's better to have just a tad more saw than you need, than not quite enough.

In all your life have you ever been sorry when you spent just a few extra dollars and got just exactly what you wanted?

Just go get the 362. Believe me, we understand.

You've definitely got me pegged! I didn't realize I was that easy to see through....
I probably only NEED the 290....
But I WANT the 362....But being a "tightwad" I also need/want to justify the extra $$$$...
....am I getting my money's worth in quality, etc.....

Amazing....you clowns can read me as good as my wife!!

I was just gonna buy an MS-250, but they (this forum) talked me into an MS-261.

My fault though, cause I let um do it. :msp_biggrin:

Oh, I forgot to mention.....I've got a 250 also....I'll keep it or trade it in....
Pardon the old age and PTSD lack of memory...

Put it another way. In a year from now. In five years from now. In five months from now. What are you going to remeber? The price of the saw? Or how it performed yesterday?

What do you remember about your 40 year old homelite purchase?

I had a 290. It did what I needed it too. Homeowner and firewood use. I had a 361 older version of 362. Again did what I needed it too.

290- plenty of power for homeowner firewood use. Not as fast as pro saw though. No mag case.

362- pro saw. More power. Mag case.

For what your doing 290 would be fine. These saws have cut a lot of wood heated many homes been used on many farms and properties. Proven reliable.

You can afford both. You *want* the 362. You can't take it with you. What were you asking again?
:msp_biggrin:

Asking.....Is the 362 Really worth $300 more than the 290?....no doubt it's worth more, but $300??!!
It's my "Tightwad" 290, vs my Wants 362.....
Looking for something to tip the scales one way or the other....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back