Buying splitter, what should I look for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've finally come to the point where I have to face the facts. I can't swing an ax anymore.

I am going to start looking for a splitter. I burn about 6 cords a year. I'm not looking for speed, but sometimes I come across some pretty big hardwood. [up to 30''] So I'll need something to handle this size.

My neighbor rented a 32 ton Huskee model from the local rental place and it seemed to work OK. Are these the same as the MTD crap that is sold at the boxes? Who else sells good Quality equipment? I would like to spend less than 2K and if I can spend less all the better. I don't have the time or knowhow to build one.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Huskee = Speeco, which is good and is NOT MTD or MTD-related.

The splitters from Northern Tool are also pretty good if you're near to a NT store. If you aren't, the shipping cost kills you.

The Robin-powered splitters from Harbor Freight get mixed reviews, but the engine and beam are pretty solid.

The "big name" splitters offer a lot of well-engineered quality, even at the homeowner end of the spectrum. Timberwolf and Iron&Oak are two of the major players.

I split a few cords per year and ended up with a Timberwolf TW-P1. Had I paid retail, I would have been slightly under your $2000.00 cap. I've been pleased with the unit and especially pleased with the 4-way wedge. A table grate was fabricated, which was a nice addition (TW sells one, too, but it is $$$). My Timberwolf TW-P1 thread: Look Here.

Big_Catalpa_3.jpg

Timberwolf_1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the one i bought last year. Its Their smallest but havent come across anything it wouldnt split. Some elm crotches are pretty tough! I paid $1049.00. Brand is Swisherhttp://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t292/20TrAnSaM00/chain%20saw/P8020239.jpg

First thing to know when buying a splitter is that the tonnage ratings are usually exaggerated. Actual tonnage is
4" bore cylinder 18.8 tons max.
4 1/2" bore cylinder 23.8 tons max.
5" bore cylinder 29.4 tons max.

The least expensive splitters often use a MTE brand pump. Ninety-five percent of the pumps are manufactured by Haldex/Barnes.

The gpm rating of the pump will affect cycle times. A 11 gpm pump would be considered the min. for a 4" bore cylinder. A 16 gpm pump would be the min. for a 4 1/2" or 5" bore cylinder. Larger pump add speed but do not increase tonnage.

A 11 gpm pump requires a 5.5 to 6 hp gas engine.
A 16 gpm pump requires a 8 to 9 hp. engine.
A 22 gpm pump requires a 12 to 13 hp. engine.
Using an engine that is larger than required does not increase power or speed.

Many people on this site and others have used the less expensive brand splitters for years with no problems. The more expensive brands tend to offer more options and are often built to be more user friendly.

Is the control valve easy to reach ? Is the work height comfortable. Does the engine or tires get in the way of the operator? If wood is dropped while operating the splitter can the engine ,pump ,or fenders be damaged?

I have the same questions. My local saw shop has a couple Iron and Oak 22ton fast cycle (8sec) splitters in stock, they want $1899 for them. They look high quality.

Lowes carries a Troy Built 33ton with a 14 sec cycle for $2100.

Home Depot carries a Cub Cadet 27ton with 15sec cycle for $1600.

The "tonage" is all over the place and seems to have nothing to do with price. Whats up with that? My dealer says the box store splitters tend to over state the tons and that the Iron and Oak will split anything I will ever give it. I love the fast cycle times, I see that as a plus. So what are the differences? Anything else I should know to look for?

Dok

A good axe, a good maul, a half dozen metal splitting wedges, a good sledge hammer, and a little $300 Ryobi Electric 4 ton splitter also can work wonders. Don't underestimate the little stuff. Sometimes the stuff that's easiest to drag out is the stuff you use most often.

Vibes

If that's all you burn, you can't go wrong with the TSC brand (Husky). I've used one for years and has been great (the damn things are pretty simple and you can build one if you can weld). I just bought a Timberwolf TW6 because of the force and loglift but I do not suggest this if you are married (do you know a good divorce lawyer?). Anyway, the TSC brand will do you just fine.

Troy built 33 ton model has a 5" bore cylinder and 16 gpm pump. Actual max. tonnage 29.4.

Cub Cadet 27 ton model has a 4.5" bore and a 11 gpm pump. Actual max. tonnage 23.4.

Iron and Oak fast cycle splitter has a 3.5" bore and 13 gpm pump. Actual max. tonnage 14.4.

A two stage pump is a good thing, the only hydraulic splitters that have gotten stuck for me are the single stage type, the time and energy wasted getting the stuck pieces off are not worth any $$ discount.

Vertical/horizontal splitting ability is nice, just roll the big rounds up and plop them onto the foot plate.

I have had the Speeco with a 9hp I/C Briggs engine for three years now, and it hasn't been stopped yet, it's grunted plenty, but always gets through.

One thing that would be nice on a splitter, a bypass, so when its really cold out, the only thing working against you when pulling the starting cord, is the engine, having the extra drag of cold hydraulic fluid when its 10* out is a bit of a bummer.

I don't like the northern splitters you can look up my thread if you want. The TSC/Speeco splitters are a good unit, I should have bought one.

I would get a 4 inch cyl. The five inch that I have is slow (15.7 Sec cycle time, no load)

Good luck!

37 ton husky

I have the 37 ton husky. It can split anything I can bring to it. It splits horizontal or vertical which is a big plus and it has a two stage pump which is also a big plus. I think it's a little over kill most of the time though. With its 12.5 hp engine it uses gas like its going out of style. I usually run it on half throttle to save gas and make it a little quietier. The gas tank on it is too small too. When I picked it up the hydraulic fluid resevoir wasn't filled either which was annoying. But It splits great. I have split about 10 cords with it and my dad has split 3 without any problems. Although when its cold its real hard starting.

I don't know about the hookup of your hydraulic pump to your engine,but on my homemade splitter I remove the two bolts holding the pump to the mounting bracket,remove the pump(you don't have to remove or unhook the hydraulic hoses) and the Lovejoy insert then start the motor and let it run for about 3-5 minutes. Then I shut it down and hook the pump back up .The engine starts easily this way

I've finally come to the point where I have to face the facts. I can't swing an ax anymore.

I am going to start looking for a splitter. I burn about 6 cords a year. I'm not looking for speed, but sometimes I come across some pretty big hardwood. [up to 30''] So I'll need something to handle this size.

My neighbor rented a 32 ton Huskee model from the local rental place and it seemed to work OK. Are these the same as the MTD crap that is sold at the boxes? Who else sells good Quality equipment? I would like to spend less than 2K and if I can spend less all the better. I don't have the time or knowhow to build one.

Any advice will be appreciated.[/QUOTE

If you have any back trouble dont buy a splitter that keeps you bent over while working. Im building a spin off of the 34 ton splitez $wise around $4500. I have about $1400 in mine. Trays will be added also. Top of beam is 33'' from ground. I have set the beam on the running gear to find my hinge point for standing the beam up. Sand blast and paint will go a long ways here when I get it done. Splitez also has some great smaller splitters.

Vibes,

All good advice you have gotten from a few different angles...

My 2cents worth...

I just got a 22 ton Husky / TSC / Speeco unit this week. I have split nasty knotty locust that was ~ 24 " in diameter with out a problem. I have also split 14 " of terrible gum. I hate this stuff as it is miserable to split. The unit grunted and split it.

For the money ($ 999.00) i don't think you can beat it. It has a Briggs and Stratton engine and a Haldex pump, all common and well known stuff.

I'd love to have gotten a Timber Wolf but it simply wasn't in the budget.

I had decided to get the 27 ton until I realized they kept the same 11 GPM pump and it had longer cycle times. So far I'm really happy with the 22.

Good luck!

JD in PA

I usually run it on half throttle to save gas and make it a little quietier.

This is never really a good idea in any equipment. Way out of the power band. 1/2 the cooling air. Low efficiency for both the engine and pump. I know it sounds like it's not working as hard, but it's like going uphill in a truck in the wrong gear.

This is never really a good idea in any equipment. Way out of the power band. 1/2 the cooling air. Low efficiency for both the engine and pump. I know it sounds like it's not working as hard, but it's like going uphill in a truck in the wrong gear.

+1

Latest posts

Back