Buying splitter, what should I look for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is never really a good idea in any equipment. Way out of the power band. 1/2 the cooling air. Low efficiency for both the engine and pump. I know it sounds like it's not working as hard, but it's like going uphill in a truck in the wrong gear.

+1

One thing that would be nice on a splitter, a bypass, so when its really cold out, the only thing working against you when pulling the starting cord, is the engine, having the extra drag of cold hydraulic fluid when its 10* out is a bit of a bummer.

I bought a little magnetic block heater from TSC,the night before I'm gonna split,I'll stick it on the hyd. tank and leave it plugged in all night,then I use a bungee cord to hold the valve in the down position,so I aint pulling the engine and dead heading the pump at the same time. :cheers:

Well............. Take it for what you want, we have been using a MTD/Yardman 25ton, 5hp Honda for better than four years now. This thing has been beat like a DOG!!! Tipped over and drug down the road, sat over the sumer and plugged up the carb and split more wood than you will ever burn in a LIFETIME!!! It's so bad, I feel like I OWE it money!!! Not the best piece of machinery, but it has worked VERY well!! Get a good deal on one, BUY IT!!!

Money is no object? Buy the Timber Wolf, nobody else builds anything like it!! Nice product that is bullet proof!!!

This may be semantics, but 'Husky' is a line of tools carried by Home Depot, while 'Huskee' is the line carried by TSC. Two separate beasts.

I also vote for timberwolf if it's in the budget. i bought a timberwolf tw-p1 last year and I love it so far. it split everything I threw at it without a problem. I believe it cost about $1900 without the four way wedge but so far it's worth the money. my only complaint is having to lift the larger rounds up onto it but there is a log lift available that i'm hoping to add this year.

matt

half throttle....

well I learned something, never thought of it that way. I'll be running the engine at full throttle from now on. thanks for the advise, the block heater etc is a good idea too. Winter time is a whole different set of problems.

Woops
P8020239.jpg

The yellow lever on this splitter below disengages the pump for cold starts. Works nice.

I too would vote for the Huskee splitter. I got the 35 tonner: and let me tell ya, if it can't split it, it will crush or guillotine it! I would also recommend an accessory for any splitter you buy with an I beam. A guy on Ebay has the handle 33Flame and sells a work table you bolt on to the splitter. It sells for about $60 and, as far as I'm concerned, the best money you can spend.

Thanks for all the advice.

One question; What is the differance between the 2 stage pump and the single stage?

I definately want the horizontal option, and if its in the budget, something with highway use tires allready on it. I still have my doubts about anything that says MTD on it after I've seen what they have done to Cub Cadet and Bolens mowers and tractors. I can't get the dealer search for Timber Wolf to work for my zip so that probably rules them out. I'm going to take a ride to TSC and see if anything is on after Christmas sale.

Does anyone have any experiance with those blue ones that are sold on E-Bay? They have Honda motors, are made in Indiana and they are shipped to a trucking terminal for free.

Keep it coming Thanks

The 2 stage pump will give faster cycle times with a smaller engine than single - There are 2 sections in it, for normal running, it can be 11 gpm - When the splitter gets to something tough, the pump will kick down to the lower gpm, about 1 1/2 or 2 gpm, this will stay there until the tough wood is split, then the pressure drops & the pump kicks back up to 11 gpm. You can split a lot of wood with a 5 hp engine & 2 stage pump, I've done it for 30 years.

I really would love a Timberwolf, but price is keeping me away. I tend to buy the best and not get my monies worth out of it. Character Flaw in me I guess.

I did find this one on Harbor Freight. Not always the best stuff, OK, never, but for the price, can it be that bad? Its a Horizontal with a log lift. They should have put the hitch on the opposite side, so far my only complaint.

Anyone have any info on using Harbor Freight Splitters?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96907

96907.gif

You know whats real interesting;

I can find a hundred MTD, Yardman, Craftsman and other low end brands as well as a few Iron & Oak, Timberwolf splitters for sale used on the internet, but I can't find one person selling a Harbor Freight Splitter? I can't imagine they are keepers, but maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy the other day who had purchased a $1500 WalMart splitter two years ago. He said it was the biggest waste of money in recent memory. One week after he had it the wedge broke off, and Walmart wouldn't take it back. So he had it welded back on. In the two years since he has spent another $1500 in assorted repairs as it breaks down all the time.

I understand that the 'Huskee' brand sold by Tractor Supply is a decent inexpensive splitter, but I have no firsthand knowledge of that.

I also understand that Home Depot sells a lot of splitters up here, and according to their help I've talked to, they have very few returns on them. The brands they carry are Cub Cadet, etc (assorted MTD brands).

The Harbor Freight splitter with lift looks interesting. Find a 15% off coupon special order at a store and pick it up at the store gets you free shipping.

The Robin engines are good . The pump that I have seen appears to be a Haldex/Barnes which is the same pump used on nearly all brands of splitters.

The only complaint I have heard about HF splitters is that some have had problems with minor cylinder leaks around the rod. HF warranty department sent out replacement cylinder . No charge ,no exchange, shipped to your door.

Overall quality might be questionable but for the price for some one mechanically inclined it may only require welding a few extra gussets to make it last.

Buy the Iron and Oak 30 ton horizontal. A real piece of machinery. Simple operation and maintenance, and the right height for me to split for long hours without discomfort.

Buy the Iron and Oak 30 ton horizontal. A real piece of machinery. Simple operation and maintenance, and the right height for me to split for long hours without discomfort.

At $6,200 for the Iron & Oak splitter, someone would be much better off with the Timberwolf.

First) The hotch is on the correct side of the machine (away from splitter)
Second) Auto Cycle!
Third) Better Price for a TW-5 w/lift!!! Even Better if you do a TW-2HD w/lift and Auto Cycle.

This Harbor Freight splitter is interesting, but I would really like to see it in person. I am concerned with the 12" maximum rounds! Why so small?

Why is the hitch on the wrong side?

Adjustable 4way wedge?

Maybe I can find a store somewhere around here with one.

I am interested in this one, because at this price (and better if I can find a 15% off coupon) I would only have to split the wood I need and not sell any to pay off the Timberwolf.

The 30 ton, delivered was under $2100.

Timberwolves are nice machines, but usually priced out of the average guys wallet size!

I usually work alone, at my leisure (Chainsaw therapy), so auto cycle wasn't a thing I wanted. Most people use the cycle to take a breather in between loading rounds. At least I do.

I didn't need the additional expense of a loglifter, most people don't.
Bells and whistles are nice, but I was looking for a basic machine, that would be performance orientated-Honda GX, 5 inch pusher, and a nice height to work with. And not break the bank.

The 30 ton, delivered was under $2100.

WOW! Their Web Site says $6,200. Can that be a misprint or did you not get the commercial splitter which would be the only model comparable to Timberwolfs TW-5:confused:

Timberwolves are nice machines, but usually priced out of the average guys wallet size!

I didn't need the additional expense of a loglifter, most people don't. Bells and whistles are nice, but I was looking for a basic machine, that would be performance orientated-Honda GX, 5 inch pusher, and a nice height to work with. And not break the bank.

Also agree, but with TWO Herniated Disc's, a Log Lift IS A MUST for me.

BEND AT THE KNEES!!! SAVE YOUR BACK!:deadhorse:

This is for the horizontal only, which I prefer. It's the right height for me to load the rounds

HOME>IRON & OAK>LAWN AND GARDEN>SPLITTERS>BHH3003H

Manufacturer:
Iron and Oak

Model Number:
BHH3003H
Our Price:
$2039.00
Availability:
Usually ships
within 1-2 Weeks

Related Items
Click the box next to each accessory you would like to add to your order then click the yellow "Add To Cart" button.
BR021270
$225.00 Four Way Wedge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ES
$325.00 Electric start option for Honda Engine
(must be ordered with unit)

30 ton splitting force
12 second cycle time
8 HP horizontal shaft B&S (Optional: 8 HP B&S standard, 9 HP Honda, or 9 HP Robin)
5” x 24’ clevis type steel cylinder
25” log opening
Heavy-duty 6” H-beam rail
9” Compound angled wedge, high carbon steel
9.5 gallon hydraulic system capacity
Shipping weight 620 lbs.

View attachment 62068

Latest posts

Back