Buying splitter, what should I look for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well............. Take it for what you want, we have been using a MTD/Yardman 25ton, 5hp Honda for better than four years now. This thing has been beat like a DOG!!! Tipped over and drug down the road, sat over the sumer and plugged up the carb and split more wood than you will ever burn in a LIFETIME!!! It's so bad, I feel like I OWE it money!!! Not the best piece of machinery, but it has worked VERY well!! Get a good deal on one, BUY IT!!!

Money is no object? Buy the Timber Wolf, nobody else builds anything like it!! Nice product that is bullet proof!!!

Geez, red neck,..I cant beat that splitter,. u just drug down the road,.thats a keeper, For sure E,J,

I shopped around for a splitter a long time before I made my purchase. The Cub Cadet, Troy Built, MTD and Yard Machines are all made by MTD and are all pretty much the same - the higher priced versions have better hoses, better engines, fenders and lights. My big problem with them is that the beam is not full length and the cylinder extends beyond the beam - this results in the balance point to be nearer the bottom of the beam - which means that the axle is closer to the back of the splitter. When the splitter is operated in the horizontal position the tire and fender are in your way. The dealer said I would never operate it that way - but I do most of my splitting that way. I usually load up my trailer and have the splitter sitting outside my wood shed. As I unload the trailer I have the splitter sitting outside the woodshed and carry the log from the trailer and set it on the splitter and split it - then I carry the pieces into the wood shed and stack it without ever having to set the log down. The only time I run my splitter vertically is when I can't lift the log. Having to lean over the fender would be a big pain in the neck and I am glad I figured that out before I bought one.

I considered the Swisher brand - but there were no dealers in the area that could get me any pricing or that had any models to look at. The internet prices I got were not great - and I felt for that price I could get a better built splitter.

I ended up buying an Iron and Oak 26 Ton splitter and it works great. I found an internet concrete construction tool company that had it listed for $ 400 less than the manufacturer. There is also a brand called Brave that is made at the same location that is just a little cheaper and has some novel features like the beam acting as the hitch and results in a smaller footprint when storing the splitter. Do a search on the internet for informaton and suppliers - Email or PM me if you can't find the source for Iron and Oak that is discounted. I believe I got a much better built machine than the MTD constructed units at a price that is not much more.

Last edited:
I believe I got a much better built machine than the MTD constructed units at a price that is not much more.

Iron & Oak over MTD. Hell yeah, you got a MUCH BETTER machine! Glad you saw the subtle differences that add up and make a difference in the long run. Yes, Brave and Iron & Oak or the same company. In fact according to Iron & Oak, they use to make the Harbor Freight machines as well before Harbor Freight went overseas for production.

All this talk about hitch being on the wrong end,I personally like the wedge on the hitch end as I always split on site and leave all the mess in the woods.This lets me split and throw into the truck in one motion.I guess I don't understand the high $ log lift,I split for 25 years before I put the loader on the tractor by using a 10' 2x10 on the bottom rail of the beam and rolling them up the board. I've put 48'' oak blocks on the splitter countless times by myself this way.Not fancy but the price was right.

All this talk about hitch being on the wrong end,I personally like the wedge on the hitch end as I always split on site and leave all the mess in the woods.This lets me split and throw into the truck in one motion.I guess I don't understand the high $ log lift,I split for 25 years before I put the loader on the tractor by using a 10' 2x10 on the bottom rail of the beam and rolling them up the board. I've put 48'' oak blocks on the splitter countless times by myself this way.Not fancy but the price was right.

Very similar to how I use to do it. The splitter was down a tier. We dumped the logs on the upper and rolled them right onto it over an old rough sawn 2x12 we had replaced on the dump truck sides.

That way you have yours set up is nice, Split and chuck. Do you use a table grate? However, a my location, the wood is brought in overtime and split in the Fall Winter. Splitter is pulled along side of the pile and we keep it moving forward as the pile builds up behind the splitter.

With my back now. I can't lift from the ground up. I can take off a pile and move to the splitter, but anything on the grounds needs to be lifted up for me. Thus the log lift. Another great thing about the lift is that you put it in the up position and you can preload the splitter and increase production.

Lng24

never had a table grate,tailgate of truck is 6'' away from where longest pc. of wood I can split is so tailgate acts as a holding area if needed.also put a 28''x48''x3/8'' steel table on the opposite side of the splitter that I operate from.This also works well for me when I stack wood in the loader,I can set the front edge of the loader othe table and reachover and pull/roll the big stuff onto the splitter

This also works well for me when I stack wood in the loader,I can set the front edge of the loader othe table and reachover and pull/roll the big stuff onto the splitter

WAIT! You have a loader and your wondering why I want a Lift, :laugh:

Now you have me jealous. I so miss My Backhoe!

Last edited:
wood splitter

Thanks for all the advice.

One question; What is the differance between the 2 stage pump and the single stage?

I definately want the horizontal option, and if its in the budget, something with highway use tires allready on it. I still have my doubts about anything that says MTD on it after I've seen what they have done to Cub Cadet and Bolens mowers and tractors. I can't get the dealer search for Timber Wolf to work for my zip so that probably rules them out. I'm going to take a ride to TSC and see if anything is on after Christmas sale.

Does anyone have any experiance with those blue ones that are sold on E-Bay? They have Honda motors, are made in Indiana and they are shipped to a trucking terminal for free.

Keep it coming Thanks

Buy a timberwolf -they sell and ship direct- I have a tw5FC with a log lift, table grate and and love it- just remeber one thing- the older you get the harder it is to work firewood-thats exactly why I bought the TW5 with all the bells and whistles-next year for buying TW conveyor.

I'll have to call Timberwolf again. I talked to someone there and they gave me a local dealer who wants $380 more than suggested retail on the TW-1. I like the features on this unit but have contacted them twice, and the people on the phone act like I'm bothering them. When I sent them an E-mail they gave the name of a dealer who is 2 hrs away, who hasn't answered his phone in 2 days.

The guy who sells saws near me is going to get me a price on one from a guy in Ohio.

I've looked at the Iron and Oaks, Wallensteins, and Spliteeze, and all seem to make a nice machine.

It looks like I'll be above my 2K threshhold though. I mite sell some saws to make up the differance.

The hitch being on the right side doesn't sound like a big deal until you break one off when your up in the hills splitting on a Sunday. Had that happen before. Thats What I like about the Iron and Oak because the beam is higher and the hitch is protected more. The Wallenstein unit looks like that could be a problem with it.

Call Bob

I'll have to call Timberwolf again. I talked to someone there and they gave me a local dealer who wants $380 more than suggested retail on the TW-1. I like the features on this unit but have contacted them twice, and the people on the phone act like I'm bothering them. When I sent them an E-mail they gave the name of a dealer who is 2 hrs away, who hasn't answered his phone in 2 days.

The guy who sells saws near me is going to get me a price on one from a guy in Ohio.

I've looked at the Iron and Oaks, Wallensteins, and Spliteeze, and all seem to make a nice machine.

It looks like I'll be above my 2K threshhold though. I mite sell some saws to make up the differance.
the chepest around, CAll BOB 517 521 3624

Update on the quest for a splitter. I looked at several and ordered a Timberwolf TW-P1. They had reallygood deals on the Iron and Oak on the net, but there was a 2 week minimum wait on them. The Jonsered dealer that I deal with got me one from a freind of his and he gave me what I think was a good price. I'm trying to buy from local dealers if the price is within reason.

I used it today and it worked great. I'll be buying the log lifter when I can get some more coin, and I'll be making the table grate. I got the 4 way wedge on the way. It seems a little slow, but it crunched through some 18'' knotty oak that I used to leave in the woods. I can probably go gather a cord of Knotty stuff that I left in the woods in the last couple of years.

Thanks for all the help, and if anyone has pictures of homemade table grates, or any good ideas for one, pass it on.

Vibes, here's the front woodcatcher/grate I made. Scrap 1" round bar stock, and a few square ones, it goes onto the drawbar with one pin, it'll come right off for towing. This is one of the best worksaving things [and easiest to make] All that bending over to get the other half chunk, etc. is a thing of the past - Anyone out there working without one of these - GET ONE - you won't regret it!
woodcatcher3x-1.jpg

just split 2 cord of 3ft+ rounds of Oak on my Huskee (speeco) 35 ton in vertical mode. with a few more cords of big en's to go.

can't imagine hassles it would be to split horizontal, even with a lift.
for large rounds, vertical is the only way to go.

pevy those heavy rounds right up to vertical splitter. seldom does a 3ft round split cleanly. it takes several passes to split apart. most times use a heavy maul to help spit apart.

started to get rid of my 35 ton splitter due to lack of four way. sooo glad I changed my mind. starting to get feedback about ram mounted four ways splitting pieces too small. if you can't get a full split first cycle.

had zero issues with my 35ton speeco and would recommend this machine to anyone. only drawback so far is 15 second cycle times. 12.5 ohv briggs gives surprising good fuel economy. one thing is for sure... there's no lack of power!

without question one of the best $1,600 splitters made.

Last edited:
Good Splittters

If you can get a Timberwolf at great price, go for it. I got the Iron and Oak 30 ton horizontal only, w/ 9hp Honda GX, 16 GPM pump. $ 2039 delivered, no tax (Internet sale). Nice heavy duty machine. I have found it a nice height to work with. I would only look at these two, unless you do a search for a local manufacturer.

Wish there were enough local guys to buy the TimberWolfs near me.They build them about 60 miles from me.I would get the deposits ,become a dealer buy them all then just end my dealership.Best units on the market but the bigger ones are expensive....

That does seem to be the problem with Timberwolf. They are hard to get. From what I am told from the guy who got me mine, he said Timberwolf is tough on the dealers also. He used to stock them. He had a fire about 6 years ago. Every thing gone. He was in the process of rebuilding, and he gets a letter from them telling him that they are yanking his dealer agreement for lack of sales. No phone call nothing. He sold at least 3 a year, and also sold a few of the big processors.

Charlie; I was going to go with the net sale on the Iron and Oak until I got the deal on the TW-P1. Those prices were hard to beat. I also just found out they have a dealership about 70 miles north of me.

I looked at the Huskee splitters at TSC and they looked cheesey. I don't know if Speeco still makes them for TSC but they weren't the same as the older models.

I'm happy with my purchase.

Latest posts

Back