Buying used saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having trouble figuring out what all the fuss is about here. I've bought junk non-running saws and rehabilitated them, poorly running saws that just needed a few things to perform like new, and used runners for the right price that just needed re-homed. This stuff isn't rocket science boys. I've gotten my share of bad deals but I learn from each one and don't buy as much now but when I do it's a deal I can live with no matter what I find. If you're looking to make a living re-habbing broken saws you're going to be disappointed, but if it's a hobby it can certainly pay for itself and put some change in your pocket. The best part though is the people you meet and help doing this stuff.

I prefer to buy New, I have bought a couple used saws, a Husky 460 Rancher/24" B&C to keep in the Pick Up as my "Truck Saw", downed trees in the road here happen enough to warrant keeping a saw in the P/U, that 460 ain't PURTY, but runs Great, and there is No Way that I am leaving my "Ol' Reliable" 266XP in the P/U 24/7, that saw is an Old Friend. I bought a Husky 353 used, from a reputable semi-local seller, I "Needed;)" a Good 50cc saw, and that 353 was PURTY:).

SELL a SAW???????:confused::eek::surprised3::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:, Blasphemy, I tell ya, pure unadulterated BLASPHEMY, do people REALLY Sell their Saws???:confused::(:(:(

I'm no mechanic, I Love running them, but working on them, I guess that some Enjoy that, I'm usually not on that list, but I do wish that I was better at working on them, I value all my saws to much to monkey with them.

The only saws that I MIGHT try tinkering with are some little Top Handles that one of my Wife's Hair clients is moving and knew that I am "Into Chainsaws", and they gave me a Homie Super 2, with a case and paperwork, I got it running and thought that it sounded pretty good, but it seems to be leaking fuel in the case, there is also an Older Homie, a Super EZ, I Think, it hasn't started yet, but I haven't done much more than put some fresh fuel in the tank, and pulled on it a bit. They also gave me a Pioneer P26, that needs a bit of cleaning up, and an air filter cover, but I haven't done any more than fresh fuel and pulling on it either, so far no Luck. I may try tinkering with them, but I am a Husky user, and my 23 Compact Top Handle runs good, and none of them seem to offer anything that it wont do for me. I don't know how much time I want to invest in saws that I'm really not interested in, and right now, TIME is in shorter supply than money, I already have more projects than I have time for.

We have Forced Air Electric heating, and it is a Real Budget Buster, so we heat almost Entirely with wood, so my saws are working TOOLS, but it is Nice that I Enjoy wood cutting, so I like having saws that Run without more than Basic maintenance when I need them.

Just today I put a Couple Virgins to wood for the first time, a 550XP, and a 390XP Felt Good, and made me SMILE:):):), only about a half cord of Hemlock and D Fir, that another of the Wife's hair clients had removed, but it will be BTU's for next Winter.

Doug :cheers:

I find this to be a self-sustaining hobby. I buy "junk" saws, and fix them for fun. I find it very rewarding to take a bunch of old parts, fix them up, and then use it for something practical. If I have enough fun with them, I keep them. If I need some cash to buy the next project saw(s) or parts to fix the last batch of basket cases, I sell one or more. If I need to thin the herd, I give some away to friends who need a saw. I definitely don't do it for profit. I also never pay "market" price for any saws unless it's something I really want, and even then it's likely going to be considered a screaming deal by lots of people.

Latest posts

Back