CAD And The Wife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I was outside the garage cleaning and tinkering with my latest acquisition, a mint 026, when the wife comes out, stares at me for a minute then says to me "you got a problem" then promptly points at my saw bench, which needs an addition by the way and then points at my fly rods ands shakes her head, well I just paused for a minute, smiled and asked her if she rather I drink, and she replied "no thank you".

Last edited:
Any time my wife gives the look I tell her were going to have a yard sale with all of her shoes and purses:rolleyes2:

Well I was outside the garage cleaning and tinkering with my latest acquisition, a mint 026, when the wife comes out, stares at me for a minute then says to me "you got a problem" then promptly points at my saw bench, which needs an addition by the way and then points at my fly rods ands shakes her head, well I just paused for a minute, smiled and asked her if she rather I drink, and she replied "no thank you".

I tipped, er back to often myself in former years,and thats what I refer to
about the saws,I figure,if ya really want to have em ,drink heavy for a period
then default to cad to keep her frrom complaing, just dont leave the bar
uncouvered where she,ll be a walkin:msp_rolleyes:

Any time my wife gives the look I tell her were going to have a yard sale with all of her shoes and purses:rolleyes2:

The main difference in "collections" is that a new saw can be turned for 60-70 cents on the dollar and used saw items can often be sold at a profit.

Try that with shoes and purses.....

Women speak in code. I think she was saying you have a problem because you were in the garage and not out fishing.

My wife knows what keeps the house warm, and how expensive heating oil is. I've spent a lot less on saws than I would have spent on heating oil over the years. Im lucky, she gets it.

I just read the AA thread there. Anybody else notice a connection with substance abuse and a love of chainsaws. Is it a strange coincidence that ethanol is so bad for the people who love saws for which it is also bad? Is ethanol the worst substance ever? (see prohibition)

If you haven't had to quit something that would kill you, then you can't appreciate running a 70cc+ saw that can kill you. Is that the theme here?

And my saw collection isn't out of control, I only have 7 runners and 3 projects. Is less than 10 saws really ok? I sold several to tame it down. Mr. Poppet was just puttin down her 50 saws like a pimp. How can one little pro saw be a problem.

It doesn't sound like you have a problem, you have an opportunity? I always recommend to my wife that she buy two or three of what she needs(except shoes). That supports my OCD, by promoting hers.

I always recommend to my wife that she buy two or three of what she needs(except shoes). That supports my OCD, by promoting hers.

Anytime my wife harps about something i buy, i always ask about five questions and i know the answers before i ask them.
1. do we have money for food?
2. are the bills paid?
3. are the kids clothed?
4. do we have money in the bank?
5. have i ever told you, "No, you can't buy xyz thing?"

The answers are yes, yes, yes, yes, no. The conversation usually ends fairly quickly with no hard feelings because it is fact.

I only have 6 chainsaws so it's not too serious, but when average people hear about, or see them sitting there they still think I'm a little weird. I finance my hobbies by donating plasma, not just so she can't complain, but so I don't have to feel guilty either. I usually make from $220-$240 a month from the plasma, so it adds up. I've bought a kayak, a kamado grill, guns, scopes, and a couple chainsaws among other things. My step ladder collapsed from under me a couple nights ago when I was working on my garage roof. I broke 2 ribs, so I'll be taking a break from donating plasma for awhile now. Anyway, the wife has her comments or looks once and awhile, but she knows I could have worse oddities. Heck, her dad has 6 or 7 antique tractors, and only owns about 1/2 acre of land. She is also very aware of how productive my saws are compared to having just one saw, with no spares or big saws for big jobs. Besides, the stuff she spends her money on usually ain't worth diddly by the time she gets them home. If I die, she can have one hell of an auction.

I only have 6 chainsaws so it's not too serious, but when average people hear about, or see them sitting there they still think I'm a little weird. I finance my hobbies by donating plasma, not just so she can't complain, but so I don't have to feel guilty either. I usually make from $220-$240 a month from the plasma, so it adds up. I've bought a kayak, a kamado grill, guns, scopes, and a couple chainsaws among other things. My step ladder collapsed from under me a couple nights ago when I was working on my garage roof. I broke 2 ribs, so I'll be taking a break from donating plasma for awhile now. Anyway, the wife has her comments or looks once and awhile, but she knows I could have worse oddities. Heck, her dad has 6 or 7 antique tractors, and only owns about 1/2 acre of land. She is also very aware of how productive my saws are compared to having just one saw, with no spares or big saws for big jobs. Besides, the stuff she spends her money on usually ain't worth diddly by the time she gets them home. If I die, she can have one hell of an auction.

Shoot man, that sucks! Hope you heal up good!

My long time Gf asked me how many saws I was going to get after around the 5th one and I said "one hundred runners, then some parts saws...teaching myself how to work on saws so eventually I might have a backup income, a small shop or something..." yada yada, along those lines.

that was the end of that right there.

Broke even last month, only took in three saws, but three went out....I have to quit being such a slacker...we also have a herd of rescue dogs and cats, and I spend more on them than saws, Which is cool, I don't care, love them guys, and they love me back...

end of a long day, sitting around a brush and weeds fire at dusk(dinky branches, rotten wood, etc, nothing good, just trash yard waste, but it burns..., some dogs hanging out at my feet, a cat or three in my lap....life is good. Saw expense is negligible, and many years ahead on home heating wood to boot.

I also don't drink a drop and I know from back when I did drink, I spend WAY less on saws.

The thing about fly rods is there smaller than a chain saw and can be put away and none will even know how many you have :laugh:

Once I was having a problem finding room in a closet for my jacket. I mentioned to wife that we really need to have a garage sale to make more closet space. She said that would be fine and then on the second day we could have a sale for items in my shop. Never brought up closet space again.

Latest posts

Back