CAD is knocking at my door!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNfarmer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I have this all justified in my head. So far I have a 290 and a 440 and an extra 36" Stihl rollomatic E super just in case I find something big. I was thinking that the 290 would make a good limbing saw with an 18" bar. The only problem is I don't have an 18" bar. Here's my thoughts. I could take a 20" off the 290 and have a spare 20", buy a 660 with an 18" bar and put that on the the 290 and then put the 36" on the 660???? Perfectly logical right??????? I mean just buying an 18" bar would be way to easy......right????!!!!!! :greenchainsaw:

Best plan I've heard of today.
:clap:

Maybe you are looking for more justification.

You'll be able to cut the big wood faster for those MN winters.
Save wear and tear on the 440.
More power equals more smiles.

Good luck with your CAD.

So I have this all justified in my head. So far I have a 290 and a 440 and an extra 36" Stihl rollomatic E super just in case I find something big. I was thinking that the 290 would make a good limbing saw with an 18" bar. The only problem is I don't have an 18" bar. Here's my thoughts. I could take a 20" off the 290 and have a spare 20", buy a 660 with an 18" bar and put that on the the 290 and then put the 36" on the 660???? Perfectly logical right??????? I mean just buying an 18" bar would be way to easy......right????!!!!!! :greenchainsaw:

Of course you're right!

The best way I have to describe your perfect line of thought and chainsaw logic is using a passage from the Forrest Gump movie: "Son, you're a genius...one day you're going to be a General ! "

Will CAD be cured, probably not, but hopefully next time it will be something a little smaller!!! haha

msvold, I like your thinking, you brought up many good points there!!!!!!

Visited the Stihl dealer today. $950 for the 650 and $1050 for the 660 with an 18" bar. Seems to be in the ballpark from what I've read on here. Now I guess I'll wait and see if I can convince myself I need it! It was interesting though, the little book that lists all of Stihl's power tools didn't have the 650 listed. It was listed in their price book though. Just out of curiosity is still done building the 650?

Visited the Stihl dealer today. $950 for the 650 and $1050 for the 660 with an 18" bar. Seems to be in the ballpark from what I've read on here. Now I guess I'll wait and see if I can convince myself I need it! It was interesting though, the little book that lists all of Stihl's power tools didn't have the 650 listed. It was listed in their price book though. Just out of curiosity is still done building the 650?

Did u ask for a package deal for both?
Thats CAD!

There is no cure for CAD...It just gets worse the more you buy. If you buy that 660 you are just feeding it...For example

I just bought a nice Super XL-922 over the weekend. Well I found a nice 923 that was equally as nice and basically the same saw so I bought that one today to. In other words if you buy that 660 you will eventually have 2 of them. :cheers:

My uncle was half interested in the 290 at one point. Lets see, then I could have a 440, 660, and maybe a 361-362 for limbing and put the 18" on that????? Oh boy! Forgot to mention when I was at the Stihl dealer, I saw a 391, didn't know they had upgraded that series.

Last edited:
One more quick question. If I get the 650\660 it will wear a 36" bar. Will the standard oiler have enough capacity for that or should I get the HO oiler right from the start? I did a search on it but couldn't really find where the cut off point was before the HO oiler was needed. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back