Can't afford the synthetic oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would it be easier just to run Pennz and rebuild the saw sooner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pete_86

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So for yrs people have used reg oil, why the synthetic? Sure, it lubricates better, stays stable, and etc. However I'm buying Belray H1R and running 32:1 in my 660 for milling. I fig I'm spending just over $7 a gallon of oil and fuel and when milling that doesn't last long. Yes I love my saw and want a long life but I can buy Pennzoil air cooled a lot cheaper and have been considering using that. I do mill quite a bit and that's prob why I'm burning a bit of oil. I know I cold use the Sithl oil at say 50:1 but I can find Belray bit cheaper and I think even at 32:1 it's still cheaper. I know if you can't afford a hobby you prob shouldn't do it and some might say why worry about the cost of oil when you've got so much money in a saw and mill.

Very true, but I'm out of oil and have to wait for it to ship in. Also it's going to cost me $25 a qrt which I know isn't a bad price it just adds up. I'm not sure how long my saw will last on pennzoil, but I'm thinking as I'm mechanically inclined that I could have enough money to rebuild the engine if it only lasts half as long with the pennz. Sure I'm out some time and money when that comes, but I'd hope to have the money than. Right now $25 on oil is bit of money for me and a lot of old timers would prob say WTF $25 for a qrt of oil? Yeah lol and than buying the bar oil too at $10 a gallon. So it adds up and my money is bit tight for now as I'm unemployed and not having much luck finding construction jobs around here. Seems like everyone around here is in same boat with economy around here.

So what do you all think? Please don't bash me for sounding like I'm cheap. :) I'm not, just have to understand right now I mill because it lets me get my mind clear and gives me a more affordable outlet for fun right now.

Engines have been run to their peak and max load by many for yrs and yrs on reg oil. I agree synthetic is better, but 32:1 wouldn't pennz do almost as well? I agree for cars synthetic is good, but for 2 cycle is it justafied?

No, not starting an oil thread here. So no debating on oil brands or ratios needed. Thanks for help guys!

Also my plan was to run Pennz for the last batch of logs I have. Maybe a few gallons or so nothing major. I already have some pennz I believe so I could just use it up. I've been building some furniture to sell, not make much money but extra helps right now. I do value my equipment and time so I'm not looking to rebuild a saw anytime soon, when I am back on my feet I will likely run the synthetic. It's not bad in price when you use a saw for intended use, but for milling guys yeah it does bite into wallet. My goal is to just go to a band mill. I figure with the milling I do, I could make a payment on the mill with what I spend in bar oil, premium gas, and synthetic oil. LOL, yeah when you sit down and figure it out chainsaw milling is not cheap.

I've seen the insides of a saw running lucas semi synthetic and it has been well protected. It's a bit cheaper also. I know how the milling gets spendy on fuel. When you make one cut and takes 1/2 gallon each one. I've used klotz R50, maxima K2, and motul 800 while milling. Maxima is the least offensive to the nose and eyes for me.

Interesting that the air cooled oil is not on the Pennzoil web site, only the multi-purpose stuff is. I found the data for the air cooled stuff here: http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/pdf/08-06261td.pdf

Go with the rating, not the brand, and unfortunately Pennzoil does not give a rating. You can get less expensive air-cooled-only oils that carry really good ratings, such as Echo PowerBlend (which is FD rated) at many box stores. Sometimes you can find good oil at MalWart on clearance - last year I found some good FC rated synthetic cheap and bought 4 bottles of it.

I understand things being tight, but if you value your equipment there should be no question,especially if its how you make a living.
6-pack of Stihl (5-gallon mixers) full synthetic $44 at my dealer, 50:1. Safe and affordable.

I understand things being tight, but if you value your equipment there should be no question,especially if its how you make a living.
6-pack of Stihl (5-gallon mixers) full synthetic $44 at my dealer, 50:1. Safe and affordable.

Jasha is that HP Ultra BTW hope all is well post surgery...

Also my plan was to run Pennz for the last batch of logs I have. Maybe a few gallons or so nothing major. I already have some pennz I believe so I could just use it up. I've been building some furniture to sell, not make much money but extra helps right now. I do value my equipment and time so I'm not looking to rebuild a saw anytime soon, when I am back on my feet I will likely run the synthetic. It's not bad in price when you use a saw for intended use, but for milling guys yeah it does bite into wallet. My goal is to just go to a band mill. I figure with the milling I do, I could make a payment on the mill with what I spend in bar oil, premium gas, and synthetic oil. LOL, yeah when you sit down and figure it out chainsaw milling is not cheap.

I understand wanting to save money. But the difference in price between a "maybe" oil and a good time proven oil isn't very much. The difference in price, which doesn't really amount to enough to notice, is all you're really paying to go first class.
Just me, but I'd rather spend a little more for something I know will work. Downtime costs more than maintenance. Lots more.

Klotz is pretty cheap and good stuff also. Just don't get the super techniplate. The original isn't bad for deposits.

Yes, good stuff.
I'm doing okay, just sore.
Sorry for going from mix to my bruise. Derail...
Ouch,, Mend well my good friend!!! I have had good success with HP Ultra synthetic, mixed at 40:1 We do alot of stump removals and alot of times the Tree crews leave a 2 foot or taller stump so we flush cut many of them (especially the bigger ones 4-5' diameter) as it makes the grinding go much quicker,,, Muh point is on the bigger ones usually will run into extended cut times, with multiple wedges just to keep the Kerf cleaned out/open so the sump doesent pinch/set down on the bar or slog/clog the chain with chips.... it is hard on bars, chains, and powerheads as well... sometimes we use multiple face cuts to get around the bigger buttressed root flares... It is not easy even on my 066's and 395/4's..... I usually buy it/Ultra by the gallon... I think the last one I bought was close to or just over $70.00,,, And I just picked up two 4 L jugs of Motul 800 2T synthetic for a good bit less so I lill try it for a while... Trust me I would rather not have to use my saws,,, cause running the stump grinder is much easier!!!! but when I do,,, I buy the best I can afford,,, When I have to tear one of my saws down to replace a piston or rings and find out how all the internal rotating assembly is nice and oiled up.... it makes it worth it.... a new piston or rings is cheap compared to crank/bearings Etc

Just get a full synthetic oil that fullfills the top norms.

API TC/D, JASO FD, ISO L EDG

and your good to go. Brand name is irrelavent in my eyes. My oil is a generic brand from a motorcycle store. 4l (approx. 3/4 gallon), fullfills the above criteria, cost me on sale 28€!

And for chainoil you can easily dilute your regular brand with canola oil. It does't get cheaper than that.

Good luck!

The Pennzoil air cooled (green in color, not the new blue in color) is supposed to be great oil and had a loyal following by the RC airplane guys. If what you have is the green stuff, I would not hesitate to run it at 32:1.

Just my opinion.

Waylan

Latest posts

Back