Can't afford the synthetic oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would it be easier just to run Pennz and rebuild the saw sooner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I must say,

it do keep you regular.

Really Andy, how long have you used this oil in two stroke equipment?

I have been using it for years (since we ran out of Mobil 2T)

I have used Yamalube 2t in a pinch, but really prefer the scent of the techniplate.

Guess I have a cast iron stomach, no brain cells, and lean burnin' saws?

Ran it for about a year, someone recommended it to me. In small doses it didn't effect me at all, but I was cutting some big rounds and it gave me an instant headache and upset stomach. I'm not alone when it comes to these symptoms. I also saw carbon buildup on the piston crown and combustion chamber like you wouldn't believe, but it did lubricated beautifully. R50 lubricates as well or better, and burned relatively clean, I ran R50 for at least 3 years, and is the only Klots oil I'd recommend for a normal work saws, well maybe original TechiPlate as well.

Mobil 2T was my oil of choice when it was available.

I'm not Mike, however I have a pretty good idea what they'll say. They will tell you a % of this or that group 3 or 4 base stock was used + other proprietary additives. That's about as far as you'll get. I'm sure it will work fine, however I have my own reasons for not running anything made by Lucas oils.

I have used some Lucas semi synthetic. It was given to me. Forest Lucas is a local guy here in Crawford Co. I bought a horse from him back in the 70's. He is a fine fellow. He used to be poor. I like his Save The Harvest program. He helped to keep the bio-mass plant from building near me. Also, he is fighting to stop the government from taking the land owners ground next to Blue River.
I did read a technical article on gear oils and his branded oil was right at the bottom in every category.

93 here was $3.59 last time I bought it last week.

Klotz original $1.50/gal
Maxima K2 $2.50/gal
H1R $2.50/gal
Lucas $1.25/gal
Stihl ultra $2.25/gal
Motul 800 $2.17/gal

I've gotta get out of the northeast! NY mainly, but even in PA right on the border it's still close to $4 a gal and is $4 even here in NY. Be happy to pay that for 93, how much is your 87 out there? It's $3.64 or so here. o_O

I've gotta get out of the northeast! NY mainly, but even in PA right on the border it's still close to $4 a gal and is $4 even here in NY. Be happy to pay that for 93, how much is your 87 out there? It's $3.64 or so here. o_O
$3.10 or so for 100% gas and $2.99 for e10 and cheaper at Kroger or our other grocery store. $.30 off on Fridays if you buy $150 in groceries a week.

I cant get e free gas, unless i mail order it or run race gas, which just sucks the cabbage from my wallet...... Living in NY is downright challenging !!

I keep telling myself not to post in anymore oil threads, but I just can't help myself.

Look if you want the best pay for it. If not pick up the cheapest oil you can find, you're not going to destroy your engine and most will never noticed the difference. But you see some can tell the difference between a Chevy truck and a BMW, and many of those that can, don't care. It comes down to what is perceived as acceptable and worthwhile to each individual.

Exactly right. Most of the guys tend to over-complicate the entire oil question. I run Bailey's synthetic and 100LL at about 40:1...more or less... depending on how much I slop on the ground when I'm mixing. Before Bailey's synthetic I ran Bailey's dino. Before Bailey's dino I ran whatever kind of motor oil that I could find at the gas station. I'm not very particular about having an exact blend.

Are there better oils? Probably, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to start screwing around and experimenting just for the sake of it. What would be the point? I need to get wood on the ground and I need reliability. No saw, no work. No work, no money. What I do works for me but I don't demand it of others. I don't have any fancy chemical terms or a bunch of numbers to back up what I say, just fifty years of running saws in the woods and making my living at it.

I watch what the guys I work with use and I watch how their saws last and I know what's worked for me for many years and thousands of saw hours. I run my saws hard and they don't get a lot of maintenance beyond the basics that get them ready for the next day. I've never, ever, had an oil related saw failure and that includes the old days when we mixed 30wt. at 16:1 in the old Macs. We always make sure our fuel is clean, our air filters unobstructed, and run the sharpest chains we can.

The cost difference between "maybe oil" and top of the line stuff is very small and the cost difference is really all you're paying to go first class. That's not saying that the most expensive oils are the best. Some oils develop a cult following but that doesn't make them better.

Again, what I do works for me. If you find something that works well for you don't listen to all the hype and arguments and theory and brand loyalty...just run it. And don't get too caught up in oil threads. :rolleyes:

Exactly right. Most of the guys tend to over-complicate the entire oil question. I run Bailey's synthetic and 100LL at about 40:1...more or less... depending on how much I slop on the ground when I'm mixing. Before Bailey's synthetic I ran Bailey's dino. Before Bailey's dino I ran whatever kind of motor oil that I could find at the gas station. I'm not very particular about having an exact blend.

Are there better oils? Probably, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to start screwing around and experimenting just for the sake of it. What would be the point? I need to get wood on the ground and I need reliability. No saw, no work. No work, no money. What I do works for me but I don't demand it of others. I don't have any fancy chemical terms or a bunch of numbers to back up what I say, just fifty years of running saws in the woods and making my living at it.

I watch what the guys I work with use and I watch how their saws last and I know what's worked for me for many years and thousands of saw hours. I run my saws hard and they don't get a lot of maintenance beyond the basics that get them ready for the next day. I've never, ever, had an oil related saw failure and that includes the old days when we mixed 30wt. at 16:1 in the old Macs. We always make sure our fuel is clean, our air filters unobstructed, and run the sharpest chains we can.

The cost difference between "maybe oil" and top of the line stuff is very small and the cost difference is really all you're paying to go first class. That's not saying that the most expensive oils are the best. Some oils develop a cult following but that doesn't make them better.

Again, what I do works for me. If you find something that works well for you don't listen to all the hype and arguments and theory and brand loyalty...just run it. And don't get too caught up in oil threads. :rolleyes:

Do you run ported saws ?

Gologit makes many very good points. l only posted in this thread as some advise that oil must meet this or that rating ect resulting in noobs believing unless they have the most fancy expensive sinus relieving oil they run the risk of catastrophic failure. lts just crap! 50 years of hard professional saw use speaks volumes lMO. Marketing does not affect gologit's decision when choosing an oil, experience and common sense has him covered. l bet you could mix the cheapest 30wt motor oil at 35/1 and never have an oil related failure. ln our country a one litre bottle of Belray H1R 100% ester full synthetic oil costs $39.99. l could replace any of my saws (at least once) with the savings throughout a saws life simply by running smarter/cheaper oil. l hate how dry the interals are with full synthetic, l hate how much harder ope is to start and l hate the price. l can clean a spark plug, piston crown and exhaust port it won't hurt me at all.

For the Ozzy blokes Jakmax have there branded full synthetic oil which i think is the same oil as branded Woodlandpro / Baily's same oil differant sticker on the bottle.
Can get for about $30 for 5 ltrs.

Latest posts

Back