Cap & Trade Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SEC. 218. CERTIFIED STOVES PROGRAM.

(a) Definitions- In this section:

(1) AGENCY- The term `Agency' means the Environmental Protection Agency.

(2) WOOD STOVE OR PELLET STOVE- The term `wood stove or pellet stove' means a wood stove, pellet stove, or fireplace insert that uses wood or pellets for fuel.

(3) CERTIFIED STOVE- The term `certified stove' means a wood stove or pellet stove that meets the standards of performance for new residential wood heaters under subpart AAA of part 60 of subchapter C of chapter I of title 40, Code of Federal Regulations (or successor regulations), as certified by the Administrator. Pellet stoves and fireplace inserts using pellets for fuel that are exempt from testing by the Administrator but meet the same standards of performance as wood stoves are considered certified for the purposes of this section.

(4) ELIGIBLE ENTITY- The term `eligible entity' means--

(A) a State, a local government, or a federally recognized Indian tribe;

(B) Alaskan Native villages or regional or village corporations (as defined in, or established under, the Alaskan Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.)); and

(C) a nonprofit organization or institution that--

(i) represents or provides pollution reduction or educational services relating to wood smoke minimization to persons, organizations, or communities; or

(ii) has, as its principal purpose, the promotion of air quality or energy efficiency.

(b) Establishment- The Administrator shall establish and carry out a program to assist in the replacement of wood stoves or pellet stoves that do not meet the standards of performance referred to in subsection (a)(4) by--

(1) requiring that each wood stove or pellet stove sold in the United States on and after the date of enactment of this Act meet the standards of performance referred to in subsection (a)(4);

(2) requiring that no wood stove or pellet stove replaced under this program is sold or returned to active service, but that it is instead destroyed and recycled to the maximum extent feasible;

(3) providing funds to an eligible entity to replace a wood stove or pellet stove that does not meet the standards of performance in subsection (a)(4) with a certified stove, including funds to pay for--

(A) installation of a replacement certified stove; and

(B) necessary replacement of or repairs to ventilation, flues, chimneys, or other relevant items necessary for safe installation of a replacement certified stove;

(4) in addition to any funds that may be appropriated for the program under this subsection, using existing Federal, State, and local programs and incentives, to the greatest extent practicable;

(5) prioritizing the replacement of wood stoves or pellet stoves manufactured before July 1, 1990; and

(6) carrying out such other activities as the Administrator determines appropriate to facilitate the replacement of wood stoves or pellet stoves that do not meet the standards of performance referred to in subsection (a)(3).

(c) Regulations- The Administrator may promulgate such regulations as are necessary to carry out the program established under subsection (b).

(d) Funding-

(1) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS- There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out the program under this section $20,000,000 for the period of fiscal years 2010 through 2014.

(2) DESIGNATED USE- Of amounts appropriated pursuant to this subsection--

(A) 25 percent shall be designated for use to carry out the program under this section on lands held in trust for the benefit of a federally recognized Indian tribe;

(B) 3 percent shall be designated for use to carry out the program under this section in Alaskan Native villages or regional or village corporations (as defined in, or established under, the Alaskan Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.)); and

(C) 72 percent shall be designated for use to carry out the program under this section nationwide.

(3) REGULATORY PROGRAMS-

(A) IN GENERAL- No grant or loan provided under this section shall be used to fund the costs of emissions reductions that are mandated under Federal, State, or local law.

(B) MANDATED- For purposes of subparagraph (A), voluntary or elective emission reduction measures shall not be considered `mandated', regardless of whether the reductions are included in the implementation plan of a State.

(e) EPA Authority to Accept Wood Stove or Pellet Stove Replacement Supplemental Environmental Projects-

(1) IN GENERAL- The Administrator may accept (notwithstanding sections 3302 and 1301 of title 31, United States Code) wood stove or pellet stove replacement Supplemental Environmental Projects if such projects, as part of a settlement of any alleged violation of environmental law--

(A) protect human health or the environment;

(B) are related to the underlying alleged violation;

(C) do not constitute activities that the defendant would otherwise be legally required to perform; and

(D) do not provide funds for the staff of the Agency or for contractors to carry out the Agency's internal operations.

(2) CERTIFICATION- In any settlement agreement regarding an alleged violation of environmental law in which a defendant agrees to perform a wood stove or pellet stove replacement Supplemental Environmental Project, the Administrator shall require the defendant to include in the settlement documents a certification under penalty of law that the defendant would have agreed to perform a comparably valued, alternative project other than a wood stove or pellet stove replacement Supplemental Environmental Project if the Administrator were precluded by law from accepting a wood stove or pellet stove replacement Supplemental Environmental Project. A failure by the Administrator to include this language in such a settlement agreement shall not create a cause of action against the United States under the Clean Air Act or any other law or create a basis for overturning a settlement agreement entered into by the United States.

Gee, sounds like you are just repeating right wing talking points :rock:

Geesh. I hardly call that little bit a loss of freedom. Think of it as maybe a gain of freedom for some people's lungs?

I hardly think there would be "Federal Inspectors" running around demanding access to everybody's home. Do you realize how much that would cost? The hiring process for all those inspectors? The big office projects to house them? It won't happen.

Now, in a lot of states, including my fair state, we already have building inspectors. They are there for a reason. They do visit the construction site and make sure everything is up to code. Including wood stoves. If you build a house, there will be a building permit fee, and that funds the inspection process. The code here does not go into what light bulbs are required, but it does require strapping for earthquake protection, requires certain roof loads, insulation, and you won't get a building permit if you live in the flood area or can't pass a perk test for your septic system. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. Some people really need to be protected from themselves it seems.
Or else they will sue the govt. which IS US, THE TAXPAYERS.

I have one of them new fangled stoves. This state already requires them. It is a good stove. A wood stove is something I would not want to skimp on, so I wanted a NEW one.

By the way, I am a federal govt. inspector of another kind, and the budget has been cut so much, you can be assured there aren't very many of us around.

Me too. Just look at the health care bill that just passed. The majority of Americans didn't want it but they rammed it down our throats anyway. Most of the Americans that did want it are the bottom feeders of our society.

I don't think I'd let the feds into my house either. I know I filled out the census awhile back and all I gave them was the number of people in my household and a note explaining to them that the Constitution requires that the number of people in my household is all that is required. I haven't heard anything from them yet.

This country has changed radically in the past 1 1/2 years and I'm sure they have plans to run roughshod over us for a lot longer. I wouldn't put anything past this regime and the previous administrations are not guilt free either.

I tried to rep you, it says I must spread some around before giving you more. So i'll rep you in public :agree2:.

Geesh. I hardly call that little bit a loss of freedom. Think of it as maybe a gain of freedom for some people's lungs?

I hardly think there would be "Federal Inspectors" running around demanding access to everybody's home. Do you realize how much that would cost? The hiring process for all those inspectors? The big office projects to house them? It won't happen.

Now, in a lot of states, including my fair state, we already have building inspectors. They are there for a reason. They do visit the construction site and make sure everything is up to code. Including wood stoves. If you build a house, there will be a building permit fee, and that funds the inspection process. The code here does not go into what light bulbs are required, but it does require strapping for earthquake protection, requires certain roof loads, insulation, and you won't get a building permit if you live in the flood area or can't pass a perk test for your septic system. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. Some people really need to be protected from themselves it seems.
Or else they will sue the govt. which IS US, THE TAXPAYERS.

I have one of them new fangled stoves. This state already requires them. It is a good stove. A wood stove is something I would not want to skimp on, so I wanted a NEW one.

By the way, I am a federal govt. inspector of another kind, and the budget has been cut so much, you can be assured there aren't very many of us around.

You seem to confuse good intentions with good government. While a city is organized under a charter that allows it to regulate things like wood stoves and building codes, the federal government -by design- has no such power.If the city chooses to outlaw wood stoves, or a certain type of wood stove, I must comply or find a new city.Such a law would make no sense here in Wichita, but might make sense in Los Angeles.A council voting for needless laws and regulations would face voters and be held accountable.When the feds grab powers that are reserved for the States and the individual, there is no such accountability.

I saw a few posts saying that "don't worry you will be grandfathered in". To be honest I don't care two craps about being grandfathered in. That mentality is what has let us get to the point we are in. The whole "it doesnt affect me so I dont care" attitude is how freedom is lost. What I care about is our freedom. Every stupid little law and regulatory BS to protect us from ourselves just keeps taking more and more away each day. Something may not affect you today but if you just let it happen some day it will be your turn.

I tried to rep you, it says I must spread some around before giving you more. So i'll rep you in public :agree2:.

Thank you Mr. Edwards. I tried to rep you for trying to rep me but it said that I had to spread some more around too. LOL

The following is not referring to you B-Edwards

Some people just don't get what this government is capable of. They are trying to get a huge huge tax increase because of a huge huge lie called man made global warming. They know it's a lie and they know that most of us know that it's a lie so they change the name to "climate change" and then they march on all the same without missing a beat. There isn't anybody or anything that is exempt from their clutches no matter what the current laws are. They will go after the believers first because they are the most gullible and easy but I know that the rest of us are not exempt.

I'm all for good laws but this regime and past regimes (to a much lesser extent) have and are trying to pass laws to destroy the middle class and in turn it will destroy this country as we know it. Follow the Pied Piper if you feel the need to but don't expect me to get in the line behind you.

Freedom ain't free.

You seem to confuse good intentions with good government. While a city is organized under a charter that allows it to regulate things like wood stoves and building codes, the federal government -by design- has no such power.If the city chooses to outlaw wood stoves, or a certain type of wood stove, I must comply or find a new city.Such a law would make no sense here in Wichita, but might make sense in Los Angeles.A council voting for needless laws and regulations would face voters and be held accountable.When the feds grab powers that are reserved for the States and the individual, there is no such accountability.

However, 'We' just did get a new arena with very little parking, horrible seats and less area than the Coliseum, that was a Great investment. Par of the reason I no longer reside in Sedgwick County or Wichita, but you still make a good point.:clap:

If you think for 1 minute that cap and trade is good for the US and the world you are sorely mistaken.

Small time farmers will be put of of business,electricity costs will raise 40%,
and yes your ability to heat your home cheaply will be diminished.
Anytime you make a law it then can be enforceable.
The claim of not enough money to hire feds to inspect is a bunch of crap.
Trust me once the goverment gets you by the gonads your at the will of the govt.
There also 3 years worth of unemployment pay tied into this.

They already know that many businesses are going to go under with this cap & trade crap.
It already has passed the house.....PEOPLE...start screaming !!!!!
Start emailing your local senators.....asap!!!!!!

There are many of us already in the trenches fighting this cap & trade bs.

Feldstein’s numbers are less striking than those from the Marshall Institute, which calculated the cost of a cap-and-trade system at $3000 per household three months ago. Marshall also calculated the impact of cap-and-trade on growth, while Feldstein for the moment focuses only on direct costs. Feldstein does note that he is sticking with low-end estimates, giving us essentially the best-case scenario as energy producers pass the costs of restrictions onto the consumer.
Those costs, by the way, amount to a regressive tax on energy consumers. Energy isn’t a luxury item — or at least it isn’t now. Everyone needs to have heating and power in their homes, and any widespread and significant price increase will most hurt those households with the least amount of disposable income. Henry Waxman wants the credits his bill gives away for free to result in subsidies for low-income earners, but energy prices are a multiplier in the economy, since the entire distribution chain of goods and services have to include higher costs into their own prices. A substantial increase of energy prices will mean higher prices on food, clothing, and other essentials that these subsidies cannot address. It will also fuel inflation, which will further erode the buying power among low-income earners.
And what do we get for all of this sacrifice? Nothing. The amount of reduction cap-and-trade will produce is negligible in terms of lowering the Earth’s temperature. Moreover, it will allow nations like China and India to gain a competitive advantage in the global marketplace. They will get the investors and businesses, while the US loses jobs overseas.
In short, Waxman-Markey is a disaster for the economy, but Democrats care more about looking good than in maintaining the American standard of living.

If you are an agent in America's farmland you will begin to see farms no longer being able to produce a profit. Farms use a lot of energy. Energy use will be punished. This is why nearly every politician from a farm land state no matter what party they are affiliated with voted no to this bill. Their districts will suffer terribly. As this happens we will be buying more and more produce from other countries with far less health standards than our own. I don't trust foods, especially produce from China or other countries except Europe. But we don't import our veggies from Europe!

•How is this going to effect your real esate business if you live and work in a farm land state?
When it comes down to the nitty and the gritty about this bill you must remember that GE is the biggest supporter of this bill. They stand to make billions of dollars from the passage of this bill. The politicians voting yes on this bill, many of them are getting paid to vote yes. And Al Gore will become the very first GREEN billionaire. It is just too bad that he is not a real capitalist. He could not become a billionaire playing fair and square. Instead, he has an unfair advantage, legislation to make him filthy rich. Not exactly the free market way. It is all about the money.

Contact your Senators now to vote NO now. Let them know how this is going to effect your business and your community homeowners and buyers. Pass this on...

I think the latest volcanic eruption has barfed more soot into the atmosphere than our wood stoves have over the past 100 years....

LM

true, another area people don't know about is mammouth mountain. this mountain is a large lava dome that emits 50 to 150 tons of carbon dioxide PER DAY and has been known to have killed numerous people over the years.

source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammoth_Mountain#Volcanic_gas_discharge

man isn't the only thing that puts amounts of gases in the air, mother nature has been doing it for millions of years, and perhaps surpasses any amount we might do at a single event.

Latest posts

Back