CCW while firewooding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people

And a gun won't protect you from that! I just happened to choose firearm statistics, I could have easily chosen vehicular statistics.

The United States is unique in many ways, most significantly that it is still operating under a Constitution that was adopted in 1791. Over the past 220 years there have been vast changes in the world and the courts have attempted to apply this document to activities that were never known to the founding fathers.

At the time of the Constitution there was a very small professional army and navy that defended the country as there was deep seated fear of the repercussions of a large standing army which might lead to future wars. As a result there was a great reliance on a civilian corp (the "militia" referred to in the Constitution) that would be called to combat if the need arose. The Second Amendment was drafted with this in mind, that people in civilian life could keep arms for the sake of defending the company in the event the need arose.

Below is the text of the Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

At the time the weaponry was of many differing calibers and origins. As a result, armories were established to house the weapons necessary to supply the militia and standardization began to take place. The militia was considered the primary defense against foreign armies as well as internal tyrants.

It is from this concept that the militia would act to prevent the usurpation of power by the government that today's concept of the right to bear arms took hold. There has been much debate over the years as to whether the term "people" was used in an individual or a collective form. While I side with the theory that it was intended in the collective form, the Supreme Court has elected to interpret it on an individual level. While the NRA was founded to ""promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," its agenda has changed to a more political one in the past 30 years that promotes the right of gun ownership.

Out of curiosity, how many people who carry weapons have ever needed them to protect themselves while cutting?

The concept of people or person didn't change from one sentence to the next in the constitution. Those were some pretty smart cookies and they thought things out and chose their words carefully. It's an individual right. Your right to free speech, is it collective, or *yours*? It's the same all the way through, they didn't want or design a different form of individual just for the second.

Of course the black robed wonders balled it all up with granting corporations personhood......

Interesting little factoid in US history, both marriage "licenses" and gun licenses or "permits" originated as blatantly racist "jim crow" laws. "Vermont styled" is the only legitimate form of gun ownership in the US, everything else is BS. A born with "right" does not need a permit or permission, you are born with it. And marriage licenses, again, BS, it is not the states business to decide who you associate with, for any purpose. I think they are both rather obviously unconstitutional. But we haven't had a constitutional government since....a long time. We certainly don't have one now. They claim we do, but really...that's a stretch and a half.

I think it would be a good idea if they really tried it, because it just might work.

The crime riddled state of maryland not only refuses to enforce immigration law (sanctuary state), they refuse to "issue" ccp's. If you're joe citizen with a spotless record? Sorry. They want to assure the criminals that their prey is unarmed. I can assure you that a lot of very law abiding people around here don't wait for a blatantly criminal state government to issue them a plastic card. Just in the last 20 years, the transformation is stunning when you drive through some neighborhoods. These people don't give a damn about anything, and they live to let people know it. The world isn't as pretty and fancy everywhere as it might be where you are. You can't reason with unreasonable people, and i really do hope that none of you find out the hard way. "I avoid the bad areas", you might think. But when the "bad areas" encroach out into the suburbs (already happened) you realize the bad element is all around you. I plan to vote with my feet and get the hell out of here in due course. It's one of the worst states in the union. But to answer the thread's main question, i AM lucky enough to have a really nice area to cut my firewood. But the mighty MS390 is a dangerous weapon in and of itself!:chainsaw:

At close range, anyway.:D

The way things are going these days around here, you're lucky not to get "flash mobbed" going out to get the paper in the morning.:laugh:

Hmmmmmmmm.......
Strange thread... I've carried a gun every day for something over 30-years...
I guess I've never thought about when not[ to carry...
It's like putting my wallet and knife in the jeans pocket, just automatic... gun just goes in, or on, the belt.
I guess I find it more strange that some people don't carry a gun.
I mean seriously... bad people, people with bad intentions, evil people... they just flat carry weapons.
Why would anyone take a chance on being under-prepared? Flat foolishness!

Yeah, I have a handgun on me when cutting... or doing anything else. There's usually also a bigger one under the seat of the truck... a shotgun behind the seat... and often a rifle laying on the seat.

Ya' see... I don't need to be afraid... 'cause I carry a gun.

Actually, as stated, the math DOESN'T work, but I suspect that is due to rounding or a small number that were not identified or fell outside those categories.

I just hope at the next GTG that a gunfight does not break out and innocent people end up injured or dead...

come on...for real a shootout at a GTG?

rounding #'s always work in the favor of the person doing the writing...and that writing came out of DC,I dont trust somebody that cant add...

bit of a hijack, but just had a thought...

if you're ever defending yourself from wild animals with your chainsaw...cut with the top of the bar...push em' away rather than pull em' in

now a human, I can see when you might cut with the bottom of the bar...get inside their "perimeter"

maybe bottom bar airborne animals too...get em' on the ground

aliens get plunge cut...they're all soft and squishy

always have a plan...and I guarantee you'll never watch a zombie movie the same way again!

I suppose that the people who have responded to this thread fall into the following two camps:

A) Those that always carry weapons because the government is not trustworthy and/or everyone is a threat to assault them or steal their possessions, or;
B) Those who do not view themselves as a perpetual target of violence or robbery and do not view the risk justifies a weapon.

While I fall into the latter camp, there is no certainty that if I carried a weapon that I would be guaranteed protection for myself, my possessions or my family. While everyone boasts about how they would shoot anyone that "threatens" them, the use of a firearm has its own implications and might in fact escalate the situation and instead result in injury or death to them.

I realize that I am not going to change the views of the NRA and Tea Party members here, but there are some in society that view that everyone (including the government) is not out to screw them and take everything they own.

I will leave you guys to shoot it out...

I suppose that the people who have responded to this thread fall into the following two camps:

A) Those that always carry weapons because the government is not trustworthy and/or everyone is a threat to assault them or steal their possessions, or;
B) Those who do not view themselves as a perpetual target of violence or robbery and do not view the risk justifies a weapon.

While I fall into the latter camp, there is no certainty that if I carried a weapon that I would be guaranteed protection for myself, my possessions or my family. While everyone boasts about how they would shoot anyone that "threatens" them, the use of a firearm has its own implications and might in fact escalate the situation and instead result in injury or death to them.

I realize that I am not going to change the views of the NRA and Tea Party members here, but there are some in society that view that everyone (including the government) is not out to screw them and take everything they own.

I enjoy a good insulting, petulant, generalization myself! It sure is easy to spot who was raised in a fatherless household!:D

Now that is, in fact, the most ignorant statement I've read in a loooong time. I don't know why I even posted on this thread, cause now I feel obligated to see it through. :confused: I agree that you will have no guarantee of protection, and may in fact escalate the situation. Why? Cause you feel that showing a gun is a statement. If my gun is exposed, it is there to be used, and only if there is a use for it. If a situation can be handled without it, well so be it. Some folks think strapping on a piece will make them safer, just like putting a knife in your pocket makes you a whittler. Just not so. You need to know how to use the tool and for what it us used.

I enjoy talking with strangers and the homeless alike, not once have I felt they had any ill will towards me, but I carry a gun, so what caregory does that put me in?

How about C) Someone who, beacause they enjoy shooting, has honed their skills to a useful level and has made room in his biological toolbox for another tool and who carries said tool with him.

I don't argue that you carry a knife, whether it be for personal protection or for whittling or for skinning deer. So why do you argue over the carrying of a gun? Now, this is not a pointed question grown out of spite, but an honest seeking of the answer. Do you feel threatened by those that carry? Have you had bad experiences with folks that carry? Do you not understand why they carry?

Yeesh.

In an age of random violence, home invasion, meth maggots and upcoming civil disorder, to go unarmed is becoming irresponsible. At some point you need to make the choice of being able to protect you and your's or become victims. Firearms are like knives, no matter the size, don't be without one.

easy with that inflated sense of alpha that handgun carriers experience, theres a big difference between being tough and feeling tough because of the weapon you have strapped to your hip
i know it was a joke, but so is the attitude a lot of CCW users have

if someone really wants to pull a gun and rob me, thats fine with me.. take my ####, who cares... id rather that than get shot while trying to reach for my gun like a hero

The assumption here is a thief/punk/methhead will just take your stuff, turn and walk away. The reality is you're just as likely to get shot by said thief/punk/methhead even if you don't offer any resistance at all. I think I'd rather have the opportunity to protect myself against deadly force than assume the thief/punk/methhead that's robbing me is moral enough to not take my life even though I abided by his rules. As a gentleman I know often says: "There are no victims, only volunteers".

I all ways carry!

It is easy for me it is allways there!

[/B]

The assumption here is a thief/punk/methhead will just take your stuff, turn and walk away. The reality is you're just as likely to get shot by said thief/punk/methhead even if you don't offer any resistance at all. I think I'd rather have the opportunity to protect myself against deadly force than assume the thief/punk/methhead that's robbing me is moral enough to not take my life even though I abided by his rules. As a gentleman I know often says: "There are no victims, only volunteers".

The topic was "Who carries while wood cutting". Immediately the twisted panty crowd showed up, to proclaim how wrong anyone was to do so. I reckon they have to reinforce thier own self image by such efforts.

LOL!!!
Situational awareness, and maintaining the reactionary gap, leads to observing people closely.
The rectal defilade afflicted sheep are always obvious, and almost always, they are the same ones #####ing about folks who actually take the responsibilty for thier own well bieng seriously.

Interesting.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Guido, that's just silly. I don't go armed because believe the government is untrustworthy (although that could be debatable) or because I believe everyone is a threat. Simply, I'm a realist, I understand that there is evil in this world, and I believe it is my responsibility... my duty, to be prepared at all times to protect me and mine.

It's a common misconception that it's the job of government (law enforcement) to protect you from evil... But, that ain't the way it works; the job of law enforcement is to catch and punish the evil person AFTER he/she has committed the evil act. I made up my mind many years ago that neither I or my family would ever be a victim... EVER! I just flat refuse to hand over my wallet, I flat refuse to stand idle and watch as my wife or children are forced to give up possessions, dignity or their life to evil. I know people that never felt the need to "go armed", but have changed their mind after something bad happens... What they don't understand is that it's too late, they have already become a victim, and the damage done by the experience of helplessness will be carried like a scar for the rest of their (and their family's) life. I will not be one of those people.

I have never had reason to "pull my piece" against another human being, never even needed to "show" it per sey... and the good lord willing, I never will. But, I am mentally prepared to do what is needed in the event of the unthinkable... there will be no hesitation, if I ever need to un-holster it, I will be pulling the trigger in the same motion.

i couldnt imagine living in such fear that it drove me to carry a handgun everywhere i went, thats horrible..

Me neither. However, to imply that the only motivation for carrying a weapon is fear, well that's just flat out incorrect. Do you wear a seat belt? Does your vehicle contain a spare tire? Do you own a fire extinguisher? Does your house have a smoke detector in it? On a daily basis, how afraid are you of a car wreck, flat tire, or a fire?

I know several people who have bought a firearm out of fear, and I've had a lot of people ask me over the years what kind of gun should I buy for protection. My answer has ALWAYS been, buy a shotgun, and that has NEVER been the answer they were looking for.

The truth is that owning a firearm is a lot like owning a horse. It's a way of life, and if it's not, then the owner is likely to get seriously injured some day. Handguns specifically, are very difficult to operate proficiently, and even more so in a high stress situation, and are by far the most ineffective type of firearm for killing anything, and very few gun owners are willing to dedicate the time, energy, and resources to become proficient with them. Personally, I think it should be law that EVERYONE owns at least one gun, and EVERYONE is required to complete a 2 week (80 hr) firearms training program by the end of their 18th year. But that's just me.

The second amendment did not originate out of fear. The purpose of the entire bill of rights, and for that matter the constitution, is to maintain our freedom. Freedom has a price, and it is high. It is our responsibility, our duty to confront those who would want to take our freedom, and send them back to the hell that they came from. When a person becomes a victim, often times they no longer live in freedom, they live in fear.

There are several polite "unarmed" societies in this world which have a relatively low crime rate. I've been to a few of them, and I've met people from even more. I've noticed one thing about them all. The people are not driven. They have no competitive spirit about them. They are sheep. They are not known for producing gold medal athletes. They are not known for producing the best this, or that. They are not on the cutting edge of anything. To put forth extra effort in order to be the best you can be at something is somewhat of a foreign concept to them. That is not an accurate description of the US. As a whole, we are not sheep, we are shepherds. In societies like ours, there are always those who find it easier to break the rules in order to get what they want, and the burden for dealing with such people falls on WE THE PEOPLE, not our "king" (the government). When we decide that it is the governments responsibility to deal with these issues, we are no longer supporting the country our founding fathers established, rather we are supporting the exact type of government that they fought and died to free us from.

The topic was "Who carries while wood cutting". Immediately the twisted panty crowd showed up, to proclaim how wrong anyone was to do so. I reckon they have to reinforce thier own self image by such efforts.

LOL!!!
Situational awareness, and maintaining the reactionary gap, leads to observing people closely.
The rectal defilade afflicted sheep are always obvious, and almost always, they are the same ones #####ing about folks who actually take the responsibilty for thier own well bieng seriously.

Interesting.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Nonsense. Maybe I should live in Canada. Just because I do not feel the need to pack an extra how many pounds of dead weight around I am a sheep? Just because I do not feel threatened I am labeled a sheep?
I would say the opposite is true. On this site, most folks do seem to feel threatened and band together pronouncing that they are truly the individuals who are most patriotic and wise. Since they are a majority, are not they the sheep on this site?

I admire societies where one is safe and the people are happy. It takes self discipline to live that way--having respect for your neighbor and community. Kind of Christian like, no? :msp_sneaky:

I will not carry a gun around. If I HAVE to do that, this society has failed and I don't want to live here anymore.

Feeling like one has to carry a handgun, which is the gun that is not much good for hunting, but is good for killing people, while cutting firewood? Something is just wrong there. Really wrong. If you are ascared of snakes, a shotgun is better. What the heck is somebody going to steal from you while you are woodcutting?
Your firewood? Is it that valuable? Here? I have not heard of anybody stealing firewood. It certainly isn't worth killing over.

I'm not advocating banning guns. However I'm not advocating the name calling of those of us who do not carry. We are not sheep. But if it makes you feel better to call us that, go ahead. I've been called worse. I won't pull a gun on you for doing so. I'll bet my part of the country is a heck of a lot more pleasant to live in than your little armed fortress. But don't move here. We don't need a lot of fearful folks moving here.

Last edited:
Me neither. However, to imply that the only motivation for carrying a weapon is fear, well that's just flat out incorrect. Do you wear a seat belt? Does your vehicle contain a spare tire? Do you own a fire extinguisher? Does your house have a smoke detector in it? On a daily basis, how afraid are you of a car wreck, flat tire, or a fire?

I know several people who have bought a firearm out of fear, and I've had a lot of people ask me over the years what kind of gun should I buy for protection. My answer has ALWAYS been, buy a shotgun, and that has NEVER been the answer they were looking for.

The truth is that owning a firearm is a lot like owning a horse. It's a way of life, and if it's not, then the owner is likely to get seriously injured some day. Handguns specifically, are very difficult to operate proficiently, and even more so in a high stress situation, and are by far the most ineffective type of firearm for killing anything, and very few gun owners are willing to dedicate the time, energy, and resources to become proficient with them. Personally, I think it should be law that EVERYONE owns at least one gun, and EVERYONE is required to complete a 2 week (80 hr) firearms training program by the end of their 18th year. But that's just me.

The second amendment did not originate out of fear. The purpose of the entire bill of rights, and for that matter the constitution, is to maintain our freedom. Freedom has a price, and it is high. It is our responsibility, our duty to confront those who would want to take our freedom, and send them back to the hell that they came from. When a person becomes a victim, often times they no longer live in freedom, they live in fear.

There are several polite "unarmed" societies in this world which have a relatively low crime rate. I've been to a few of them, and I've met people from even more. I've noticed one thing about them all. The people are not driven. They have no competitive spirit about them. They are sheep. They are not known for producing gold medal athletes. They are not known for producing the best this, or that. They are not on the cutting edge of anything. To put forth extra effort in order to be the best you can be at something is somewhat of a foreign concept to them. That is not an accurate description of the US. As a whole, we are not sheep, we are shepherds. In societies like ours, there are always those who find it easier to break the rules in order to get what they want, and the burden for dealing with such people falls on WE THE PEOPLE, not our "king" (the government). When we decide that it is the governments responsibility to deal with these issues, we are no longer supporting the country our founding fathers established, rather we are supporting the exact type of government that they fought and died to free us from.

I really don't know how to respond to this post, other than to say that it has to be the most incredibly stupid piece of literature I've ever read. You can't get it into your head that some of us don't live in fear our whole lives and don't need to carry around a gun to make us feel secure.

And because of that, we are sheep?? Any idiot can put a gun in his pocket and feel tough.

I'm done reading this thread. It belongs in the political forum now, if they have a horse **** section.

Latest posts

Back