Chain recommendation needed!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed some references to my Redmax 621 that it needs a shorter bar. Honestly, to me this thing has a ton of power. Am I wrong about this or are there some other saws in the 62cc/4.1 hp/12.5 lb range that are better in the same price range?

I have looked at the 5100 and was impressed. I had a 540 and liked it very much. Does the 5100 have some grunt or is it all RPM. My 621 is more cc's with same hp, but it does have some grunt with the extra cubes.

I really like Bailey's WoodsmanPro 3/8" SC (full comp semi-chisel) or SCS (skip semi-chisel). I think it is Carlton chain.

I find semi-chisel keeps an edge much longer and cuts as fast with my saws. When I'm in the woods and cutting through thick bark and dirty lumber, the chisel dulls really quickly. Sometimes I have to change several times within one tree. With the semi-chisel I can normally finish the whole tree.

With a bar the size that you are talkin about, I would recommend some full- skip from stihl, at least I like it on my larger saws. It seems to work well under many conditions.

??

in my think'n skip tooth is mainly to keep the chain from get'n more chips than it can handle in big wood - is this correct ?

Skip chain really serves two main purposes:

1. To reduce drag on the motor by having less teeth per inch of chain, thereby allowing you to run a longer bar than you could with full comp chain.

2. To allow more space for chips to collect in bigger wood until the tooth clears the wood and expels chips onto the ground. You can increase the drag on the saw significantly when the kerf becomes overcrowded and chips start compressing with nowhere to go.

I've noticed some references to my Redmax 621 that it needs a shorter bar. Honestly, to me this thing has a ton of power. Am I wrong about this or are there some other saws in the 62cc/4.1 hp/12.5 lb range that are better in the same price range?

No knocks on the saw...it's just that, for a saw that size, most folks here run a 24" bar only for occasional use. You'll probably find it'll be happier with an 18" or 20" bar. (Or if you're SawTroll, you'd think it would be better to have a 12" bar on it...) (SawTroll drinks...) :)

If you're running in very soft wood, it would probably be very happy running a 24" on a more regular basis, but it looks like you've got some tough stuff on your list.

Totally wrong imo, but the Stihl chains have an edge, because of the thicker chrome.......:rockn: :rockn:

...but they don't get quite as sharp as the Oregon ones, for the same reason.

Where'd ya read that?? :biggrinbounce2:

Totally wrong imo, but the Stihl chains have an edge, because of the thicker chrome.......:rockn: :rockn:

...but they don't get quite as sharp as the Oregon ones, for the same reason.

I would politely beg to differ?

Stihl RS has a little more angle to the side plate, (more 'V" when looking from the top) and yes, if you do sharpen with a regular file or regular speed mechanically, you will leave the chrome with a feather edge, just .02 cents worth of course. But if you finish with a fine file from the outside in, very lightly, or make an extra pass with a grinder, one bump very slowly with out barley taking any material off, it seems to leave the chrome's edge a lot sharper.

What I think happens, the feather edge of the chrome peels back or chips leaving a slightly jagged edge Intel it burnishes itself with a little clean wood.

Nowhere, but it is just the way it is - the only Carlton I have used was a semi-chisel - and I would much perfere Stihl RM, btw......

I've never run a carlton chain, but I'd run a Stihl chain backwards before I'd buy another Oregon.

(and yes I've got both down in the garage right now so I do know what I'm talking about.)

I've never run a carlton chain, but I'd run a Stihl chain backwards before I'd buy another Oregon.

(and yes I've got both down in the garage right now so I do know what I'm talking about.)

Why did you make that stupid (but admittedly funny) post then..........:givebeer: :givebeer: :popcorn:

Troll, you're making me hungry for popcorn, and the wife bought that dry stuff without butter on it... :angry:

Ian

Troll, you're making me hungry for popcorn, and the wife bought that dry stuff without butter on it... :angry:

Ian

We have some "Micro-wave" popcorn here, I believe, but it is about 10 years old - want some????:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Btw, you "sound" like a sensible guy, one of those I would like to keep in contact with......

Back