Chain recommendation needed!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mentioning this before,

Stihl first

Carlton a close second

Stihl on backwards

Carlton on backwards, then

Oregon chain, (Husky chain is Oregon, I do believe)

Nowhere, but it is just the way it is - the only Carlton I have used was a semi-chisel - and I would much perfere Stihl RM, btw......

I've never run a carlton chain, but I'd run a Stihl chain backwards before I'd buy another Oregon.

(and yes I've got both down in the garage right now so I do know what I'm talking about.)

Why did you make that stupid (but admittedly funny) post then..........:givebeer: :givebeer: :popcorn:

You did read the whole thing didn't you???

Mentioning this before,

Stihl first

Carlton a close second

Stihl on backwards

Carlton on backwards,

then Oregon chain, (Husky chain is Oregon, I do believe)

I understand, your naturally confused, I'll type slower next time. :laugh:

I used to like Oregon chain when I was hand filing because it was easy to touch up, even if it does loose the edge a little faster than some others. Now that I have a grinder and a number of chains to take in the woods, I appreciate the harder cutters found on Carlton/WoodsmanPro. Never tried Stihl chain, I think my Husky would break out in hives!

I have a few 24" loops that are too short for my 359. I plan on having them shortened and will utilize them at 20".
Husky running Stlhl 2 Cycle Oil and Stihl chain... will she develop a complex?

Eric,

Are you trying to say that if you put a backwards Stihl chain on a backwards Stihl saw, it makes everything turn out right?;)

But you run a Mac, don't you?

Last edited:
But you run a Mac, don't you?

:hmm3grin2orange:

Nope, the Mac is in the sig line just for fun/joke :jester: along with the words "blade" and "knuckle guard". I do own the saw but it hasn't been run in years. I never felt the need to try to impress anyone with my "long and distinguished" list of saws, (we all have saws some are big, some are small, they all cut wood) so of all the ones I have I choose to list the Mac in my signature. The 16" blade and knuckle guard are there just to show that I know what I'm talking about :D, I think it adds real weight to my post's don't you. :laugh:

The folks who know me a little better here have kinda figured out my since of humor and my taste in saws. My stable is all orange and white runs from the little 021 on up to the 084 with the only gap being the 066/660, got bars in 4" increments from 16" all the way 48" (and I have 2 of those :blush: )

Eric,

Are you trying to say that if you put a backwards Stihl chain on a backwards Stihl saw, it makes everything turn out right?;)

Nope wrong again :laugh:

What I was trying to say is that a Oregon chain put on correctly cuts almost as well as a Stihl chain put on backwards. :biggrinbounce2:

poke ----> poke ---->

Last edited:
Erick,

Thanks for having a sense of humor! Half the fun of the forum is mixing it up between brands.

Unfortunately, I really do have an old Mac with a broken hand guard....well I "repaired" it with JBWeld. I guess I know where I stand!

Hey like I said I do actually own the saw and it really does have a broken "knuckle guard" it also has the starter rope pulled out. I yanked it out about 2 years ago when I was trimming the Christmas tree and just never got around to putting it back in, the saw actually runs pretty well.

attachment.php

(singing in my best sesame street voice)
One of these things is not like the others

attachment.php

Just thought I'd through in a pic of my latest project, all I need now is a 12mm piston and shell be up and running strong.

Anyone got a piston they'd be willing to part with??

attachment.php

Last edited:
What...... you mean the king of all specs didn't know about the 044 wrist pins :confused:

SHAME SHAME SHAAAAAME
on you SawTroll
:buttkick:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, he said piston, and I thought it was a misprint, without thinking further.....:pumpkin2:

Latest posts

Back