Chainsaw Fuel...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TrueFuel is spendy at HD (and the WallyWorld doesn't carry it anymore).

I'm not buying it that Wal-Mart no longer carries Tru-Fuel. I swing past the Lawn&Garden Center at Wal-Mart every day and still see Tru-Fuel on the shelf for $4 a quart. The itty-bitty Sears in the Auburn Plaza has Tru-Fuel with the Craftsman name on it for $6 a quart.

I'm not buying it that Wal-Mart no longer carries Tru-Fuel. I swing past the Lawn&Garden Center at Wal-Mart every day and still see Tru-Fuel on the shelf for $4 a quart. The itty-bitty Sears in the Auburn Plaza has Tru-Fuel with the Craftsman name on it for $6 a quart.

Not trying to 'sell' anything to you friend.:cheers:

I didn't mean every WallyWorld doesn't carry it...............just my two local stores. Take it or leave it. Doesn't matter to me.

They may stock it again. All I know is they cleared it all out last fall and I bought what I could. The local HD carries 50-Fuel. I prefer the 40-Fuel, but could spike the mix with a little oil I felt the need.

Last edited:
Not trying to 'sell' anything to you friend.:cheers:

I didn't mean every WallyWorld doesn't carry it...............just my two local stores. Take it or leave it. Doesn't matter to me.

They may stock it again. All I know is they cleared it all out last fall and I bought what I could. The local HD carries 50-Fuel. I prefer the 40-Fuel, but could spike the mix with a little oil I felt the need.

Relax Young Grasshopper. My last post wasn't meant to be a rude one. Wal-Mart clears out that Department every Fall for Christmas Stuff. I was praying myself that Wal-Mart would stock it again. When I seen six quarts on the shelf I grabbed one. There's no large Trees where I live so if we have one come down in a Storm, me and my Chainsaw "Pedo-Killer" and go right to work.

Relax Young Grasshopper. My last post wasn't meant to be a rude one. Wal-Mart clears out that Department every Fall for Christmas Stuff. I was praying myself that Wal-Mart would stock it again. When I seen six quarts on the shelf I grabbed one. There's no large Trees where I live so if we have one come down in a Storm, me and my Chainsaw "Pedo-Killer" and go right to work.

Sorry. I read it as you telling me I was full of ####...:laugh:

Hope my local stores restock with more 40-fuel. I also hope they put it back on clearance next fall. The four gallons I have now may last me 'til then...:cheers:

Edit:

"Young grasshopper"??? I just checked yer profile. I'm not exactly an old guy (for this site).......................but I did do a top end rebuild on my 031AV before you were out of diapers!:jester:

Last edited:
Sorry. I read it as you telling me I was full of ####...:laugh:

Hope my local stores restock with more 40-fuel. I also hope they put it back on clearance next fall. The four gallons I have now may last me 'til then...:cheers:

Edit:

"Young grasshopper"??? I just checked yer profile. I'm not exactly an old guy (for this site).......................but I did do a top end rebuild on my 031AV before you were out of diapers!:jester:

I'm just having some fun. I could have bought all 6 quarts if I desired but there's no need. The quart I have should last about 75 minutes. I grabbed a quart of Green Earth Bar&Chain Oil too.

I just ordered 3 gals of this stuff to try out. I saw mentioned in this thread 5 year shelf life and two years opened container. On the trufuel website it does talk about 2 years open but not any viable shelf life unopened. Is the five years right or does anyone know?

I use too much mix to use TruFuel, but I do buy a couple quarts here and there for a couple of my shelf queens. Some of my saws that see little use, I run dry of pump gas/ mix... then pour in a bit of the canned fuel and run dry again. Has worked so far.

I bought a little measuring cup at a cooking store and mix only half gallons of gas now. Its getting harder to find Stihl Ultra anymore around here and I was tired of dumping it in the mower. I'm pretty much done cutting for a while so I think I'm going to get some True Fuel for the blower and weed beater. I'll probably only use a quart of that all summer in them.

I am stuck with ethanol gas! So I run what Ive got...

I keep my premix for no more then 2 weeks, then too the lawn mower or wood splitter. After a using my saws. I dump all the premix out and fill up 1/4 tank with 40 fuel. I run my gear for about 5 minute to purge out all the squirrel pee ethanol gasoline.

My .02

Mike

I've had decent luck storage-wise with my "special" blend: Stihl Ultra, Sta-Bil, 93 octane Shell or BP, and Seafoam....

I may be wet behind the ears, here's what I do... I run 100LL avgas in my 357xp. It doesnt get used much. It spends the vast majority of its time sitting in the shed but when I need it, I need it now. I only plan on using it one weekend a year, but all the other times are storm clean up (which are getting more and more frequent) and I dont always have time to run out and buy new gas before I need it.

With avgas at $5.05/gal, a long shelf life and no ethanol its worth it to me. Id look for a small municipal airport and fill a small can. I typically keep at least 2 gals on hand.

How come the higher octane race fuels wont help the saws?? An looks like i better go fill up a gas can of av gas... An dump my ethanolized premix into the mower...

Choices

Here's the options I have in my area.

Premium Unleaded Gasoline. No Ethanol. For Use in Small Engines. 91 Octane.

Track Tek 111 Racing Fuel. Contains 4.0 Grams Lead Per Gallon. 114 Octane (research). 106 Octane (motor).

Would the TT111 be overkill for a stock 372XPW?

How come the higher octane race fuels wont help the saws?? An looks like i better go fill up a gas can of av gas... An dump my ethanolized premix into the mower...

The reason is because the additional power in a race engine comes from advancing the timing and raising the compression ratio, not the octane.

Octane content "stabilizes" the fuel during the *squeeze* part of the cycle, and keeps it from going *bang* before the spark goes off. More octane means the fuel can withstand more *squeeze* before it goes *bang*.

Since you can't advance the timing or raise the compression ratio on your average, everyday chainsaw, high-octane fuel is no help.

The whole point is to eliminate the ethanol. If the race fuel is ethanol-free, and methanol-free, octane content is really irrelevant.

Of course, I have no problems with ethanol fuel in any of my engines.

I may be wet behind the ears, here's what I do... I run 100LL avgas in my 357xp. It doesnt get used much. It spends the vast majority of its time sitting in the shed but when I need it, I need it now. I only plan on using it one weekend a year, but all the other times are storm clean up (which are getting more and more frequent) and I dont always have time to run out and buy new gas before I need it.

With avgas at $5.05/gal, a long shelf life and no ethanol its worth it to me. Id look for a small municipal airport and fill a small can. I typically keep at least 2 gals on hand.

That's the ticket. Keep on doing that as long as you can. Hopefully Pa won't go the way of NorCal...

Here's the options I have in my area.

Premium Unleaded Gasoline. No Ethanol. For Use in Small Engines. 91 Octane.

Track Tek 111 Racing Fuel. Contains 4.0 Grams Lead Per Gallon. 114 Octane (research). 106 Octane (motor).

Would the TT111 be overkill for a stock 372XPW?

Use the 91 octane ethenol-free stuff in your 372XPW and any other OPE you have. You don't need to waste the $$$ on the TT111.

My 038 doesnt seem to have an issue with fuel that sits around, but i was just worried about the new 660... Hate to blow up a 1200 saw...

No need to ruin a $300 saw either. The old beast deserves good fresh fuel as much as the new saw. Don't skimp on what you feed your saws. Pump gas that sits around draws water out of the air, especially if the fuel has ethenol in it. You can't get new jugs for the 038MagII either...

Latest posts

Back