Chainsaw Fuel...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, uhhhh

You have to know what your fuel use is and go according. If your saws are going to sit a while before us, or you just pull it out to saw a limb or tree and put it back, you better be using 50fuel. It just a plain fact of life now---the fuel we have today will go bad in just weeks--anything after 3 weeks and you are taking a chance on toasting your top end. The problem I'm seeing is on our Wildland fire engines, they carry a chainsaw fueled up and ready to go, months later, they pull it out to get a tree out of the way and within a min or so, its toasted. We now have a warehouse full of Stihl 039 and 390s with toasted top ends. The State says 50 fuel cost to much also---I wonder what the cost of 20 or so new 390s goes for these days??

Now, if you are going to cut fire wood and know you are going to burn up a gallon or two, mix up a fresh batch and go for it, then dump what is left in your lawnmower when your done. The thing to remember is to factor in HOW long is the fuel going to sit and HOW old is it when you go to use it. You can't afford to burn just 50 fuel on high use days---but it pays for itself on those "now and then" jobs.

--you guys selling those saws?

I'm going to talk to my guy at TruSouth Oil, I want gallon cans and two quarts packed in a sturdy cardboard box with a handle. Something that can survive behind the seat or equipment box use.

for 5 year shelf stability, 2 year open/saw stability, oil in the mix?

Get a gallon of prem, add 2cyc oil, and good fuel stabilizer, then divide all that up by 4...

plus factor in convenience and the fact that the mix is the same all the time, and it's not bad IMHO.

My 2 cyc oil mix has stabilizer in it already. You don't get any better shelf life with premixed.

OEM isnt always the only option haha. What bore/displacement is the 038 Mag2?

Picked up 93 octane no ethanol for 4.80 with stihl mix i can get two gallons of useable fuel for 11.30 where as 2gals of premix from Baileys would run me 39.95...
Think ill stay away from premix cans...

OEM isnt always the only option haha. What bore/displacement is the 038 Mag2?

Picked up 93 octane no ethanol for 4.80 with stihl mix i can get two gallons of useable fuel for 11.30 where as 2gals of premix from Baileys would run me 39.95...
Think ill stay away from premix cans...

Is non-ethanol gas available throughout Oregon? May just have to bring a couple empty 5-gallon cans wtih me to the GTG in June...:cheers:

aaron, tuseday afternoon i'm may be doing a stop by sears point to see there selicion at the pump and pickup 5gal :hmm3grin2orange:

would you like me to pick you up a couple gallons of that oxagen free 110 octane gold?

Last edited:
I hope there comes a day, where we pull into the station next to the K1 kerosene pump there will be a special pump labeled "Outdoor Power Equipment Fuel" nothing more than non-ethanol gas. I have replace so many carb kits this week in FS45-55 string trimmers its not even funny. Has anyone tried the Sthil Motomix? I wish it were sold by the gallon.

aaron, tuseday afternoon i'm may be doing a stop by sears point to see there selicion at the pump and pickup 5gal :hmm3grin2orange:

would you like me to pick you up a couple gallons of that oxagen free 110 octane gold?

Thanks Dave. At this point I think I'll hold off. Money's really tight this month. Just give me a report of what they've got (that's non-oxygenated) and how much it costs. If it's a winner and I have a few bucks after payday I'll stop by there on my way to work later in the week to pick some up.

I hope there comes a day, where we pull into the station next to the K1 kerosene pump there will be a special pump labeled "Outdoor Power Equipment Fuel" nothing more than non-ethanol gas. I have replace so many carb kits this week in FS45-55 string trimmers its not even funny. Has anyone tried the Sthil Motomix? I wish it were sold by the gallon.

That's a hope I share my friend. We only have one station in the county that I know of that even has a K1 pump anymore. That's the Rotten Robbie station on SouthWest Blvd in Rohnert Park, Ca. I'd love to see a non-ethanol gas pump there too. Ain't gonna happen though. OPE and Off Highway gas engines (dirt bikes, etc) are already emissions regulated (new stuff) in Ca, and the idiots in Sacramento are talking about tightening things even more. I think that's why AvGas is hard to get here now...

there are stations here and there. not as many as i would like.

Thanks for the info. I'll ask Bob. Bet he knows of a station nearby him.

We've got a 76 Station in Sac located at Watt / Marconi that carries "race" fuel for $7.95 per gallon, non-ethanol stuff. Unsure of the octane rating.

I can buy non-ethanol 91 octane gas (@ 5.00 gallon) if I drive 40 miles round trip. And the crappy saw that I've never bought a saw from "feels" like selling me some that day...

There is a shell gas station down the road from me. I can get 91 octane gas with 10% to 5% ethanol depending on the time of the year. I am running 42 to 1 mix with 1 oz stabil and 1/2 oz marvel mystery oil per gallon. The combo of stabil and marvel mystery oil is keeping my carbs in all my ope nice and clean.

I am not to sure what is in marvel mystery oil, but it is keeping all the crud that can build up with ethanol laced gasoline from all my 2 and 4 stroke ope.

My .02

Mike

We've got a 76 Station in Sac located at Watt / Marconi that carries "race" fuel for $7.95 per gallon, non-ethanol stuff. Unsure of the octane rating.

Many years ago, a local chain of gas stations called "gaint" . Was selling 101 octane fuel at the pump with a .25 premium of 91 octane gas. I miss those good old days of the early 90's ! LOL

My .02

Mike

good fuel

I don't know where you live but here in montana they sell non-ethanol 92 octane gas at some stations. You should never run any 2 stroke on ethanol fuels. Ethanol washes pistons dry and makes them more prone to scuffing. One thing that can help with this is synthetic 2 stroke oils. I think the best are redline and castrol. Many a very expensive 2 stroke outboard motor have been ruined with ethanol. I wouldn't risk it! There are a couple of additives on the market that claim to counter the bad things ethanol can do but I don't know the science.

In oregon most farm stores sell non-ethanol gas, i got my 5gal from an "oil company" basically a bulk fuel dealer. I took all my old 2-stoke premium fuel and dumped it into the mower... Runs fine lol

More info please

You have to know what your fuel use is and go according. If your saws are going to sit a while before us, or you just pull it out to saw a limb or tree and put it back, you better be using 50fuel. It just a plain fact of life now---the fuel we have today will go bad in just weeks--anything after 3 weeks and you are taking a chance on toasting your top end. The problem I'm seeing is on our Wildland fire engines, they carry a chainsaw fueled up and ready to go, months later, they pull it out to get a tree out of the way and within a min or so, its toasted. We now have a warehouse full of Stihl 039 and 390s with toasted top ends. The State says 50 fuel cost to much also---I wonder what the cost of 20 or so new 390s goes for these days??

Now, if you are going to cut fire wood and know you are going to burn up a gallon or two, mix up a fresh batch and go for it, then dump what is left in your lawnmower when your done. The thing to remember is to factor in HOW long is the fuel going to sit and HOW old is it when you go to use it. You can't afford to burn just 50 fuel on high use days---but it pays for itself on those "now and then" jobs.

Do they use fuel stabilizer? And what brand of gasoline, and does it have ethanol,. and has it been tested with an ethanol kit?

thanks in advance. And I am sure a lot of guys want to know when they will sell all those busted saws.

I wonder if the "state" takes into account that firefighting is an emergency situation and if the saws don't start in an emergency, or any other fuel burning devices, REAL EXPENSIVE bad things can happen, all the way to loss of life, let alone wildlands and property damage.

Any possibility of actually naming the taxpayer's employee who made the decision to use crap fuel and keep it stored directly in the saws tanks? Is there a verified paper trail of warnings to him or her to "not do that" because of the consequences?

Sunshine laws and whatnot. The only way to get rid of waste and gross stupidity in government is to expose it, hence the term "sunshine". I once ran into stuff like this but more extensive, took me a year, complete with death threats and sabotage and so on, but I got a mayor and the bulk of the city council bounced for similar actions, waste, fraud and abuse, to a really large scale, way beyond some shelves of busted saws, and one of them "public servant" tards proly wound up in the pokey because of arson for profit which resulted in a death. I moved before I found out the details on that one but the cops got involved pretty quickly once they had some more evidence. They thought they were all powerful because they were elected and/or tax payer's employees..wrong. they *&^^%%ed with the wrong dude, tell ya whut.

Another thing, the guys who use the saws..they can't take a few minutes a week and start the saws? And does it *really* take that much time to fill a saw up, even in an emergency? They can't just keep a jug of fuel on the truck, and leave the saws empty? And just rotate it into a state vehicle or some other "needs gas" small engine thing they might be using and mix up a new batch like once a week or something? Is common sense now against the law at the state level? (rhetorical question, we all know this is true in practice...)

I mean this is nuts, after the first coupla toasted saws, policies should have changed. And it seems there is some..laziness someplace..involved as well. Maybe less time spit shining fire engines and more on making sure the gear actually works? Ya, "50fuel" might cost too much, but a 55 gallon drum of non ethanol fresh fuel sourced from the nearest wholesaler and mix up your own with quality mix oil and like fuel stabilizer? Then into the individual gas cans that go onto the firetrucks? I mean, whut the heck, this ain't rocket surgery here. I have used PRI-g and it kept fuel for more than three years in burnable condition. And that was starting with 87 octane! And a can treats something ridiculous like over 300 gallons and cost I think around fifteen bucks.

So..names? Contact info? This is the second time that I remember you mentioning this, and if it is still going on, it just needs to stop. This is 2011, the tax payers don't have money to waste on dumb policies buying real expensive imported saws that just get abused to brokeness and even dumber state employee's salaries who do stuff like that.

Latest posts

Back