Chainsaw fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May be I am just a dumb old trapper but I have put a lot of thought into condensation over the years.We ran a fishing resort for 49 years on the old outboard motors the tanks were pressurized thus no fuel pump.After use you unscrewed the cap part way to release the pressure.These tanks spent much of their life with the cap loose.These tanks were stored over the winter with what ever was in them with temps from -40 below to 90 above in the spring.I have left part cans of gas and many pieces of equipment partly filled in lots of cases for several years some plastic some metal no sign of water.
If condensation is such a problem then why when I drain a tank or a can threw a fine filter funnel there is no water unless the can had a hole and let water leak in.
If condensation is really a problem then should the can not fill up with the condensed water.
Kash
Maybe because the caps were open, I get almost a qt of water out of my snowblowers at the end of the summer and the rest of the fuel is shot. The water filters don't do shite with the yellowed gas that's left, it needs to be disposed of, I evap it in the sunlight. Thinking of fogging in the future, I try to start all my machines once a while...mostly a fail. At the prices of gas now maybe Ill leave them all empty and fog them. Just to add, I usually use MIB and Ethanol Shield seems to work.

Maybe because the caps were open, I get almost a qt of water out of my snowblowers at the end of the summer and the rest of the fuel is shot. The water filters don't do shite with the yellowed gas that's left, it needs to be disposed of, I evap it in the sunlight. Thinking of fogging in the future, I try to start all my machines once a while...mostly a fail. At the prices of gas now maybe Ill leave them all empty and fog them. Just to add, I usually use MIB and Ethanol Shield seems to work.
That's a lot of water for such a small fuel tank situation ? What size tank is it ? Running it dry is always a good preventative measure . I usually drain my float bowl also , since that is where the oxidation and ethanol gumming gremlins hide & wreak havoc with inlet needle valve and the emulsion tube orifices . I actually put a little xtra carb cleaner / stabilizer in the last fuel fill up before storage to ensure that the entire fuel system is adequately treated before draining . Either way Kato , your off season procedure should protect your investment !

@bryannewton Please do a lot more research and reading on this subject, and don't make any decisions based on the responses in this thread alone. A lot of what's been posted is opinion, being presented as fact, and doesn't necessarily match reality.

Don't take silence, or lack of posted disagreement with a post, as confirmation that someone is right. It's just not worth getting into a wall of text debate over an oil thread, when the exact same subject with the exact same people will come up again next week.

Most of it doesn't matter anyway.

1. Run an oil and fuel/oil ratio that meets mfg specs.
2. Keep your fuel fresh. If in doubt, dump it and get fresh fuel.
3. LEARN TO TUNE YOUR SAW, and tune it for whatever you're running.

Don't take my word for any of this, either. Do more research, and verify.
Agree with most of what is posted , point of clarification , most important when in doubt always follow the oil manufacturers recommendations . Oil is the life blood of the equipment , its manufacturer recognizes it limitations !

Do yall mix your own or buy premixed fuel
If you mix your own how long is it good for
I mix 5 gallons at a time. 2.5 and 2.5.. The one container stays sealed till the primary is emptied. Never had a problem. That is about a years worth for me and no stabilizer.
I'm the only one allowed to mix it, because others just arent as careful and think close is close enough.

I use ethanol-free gas mixed 40:1 with Husqvarna Synthetic and always add a little STA-BIL fuel stabilizer.
I've NEVER had ANY issues, even if it sits around for months and months!

Matter of fact I have an old Tanaka 2 stroke gas drill (that I hardly ever use for anything) that had sat in my shed for literally several years with gas in it. I got it out and figured it'd be toast and I'd have to tear it down. But just for craps and giggles I flipped the choke on and gave it a couple cranks and it FIRED right up and ran fine! It actually shocked me that it even started.

So no need fretting about your gas, or tossing it out. Just use GOOD gas and a GOOD mix and you'll be fine.

I mix 5 gallons at a time. 2.5 and 2.5.. The one container stays sealed till the primary is emptied. Never had a problem. That is about a years worth for me and no stabilizer.
I'm the only one allowed to mix it, because others just arent as careful and think close is close enough.
5 gallons of efuel or non ethanol ? What form of storage container plastic or metal ?

i use ethanol low grade gas , i change the fuel line every late summer. i have 2 of these jugs. i keep the 1 with the spout on it and the other i keep the black sealed lid on it. when i am done at the end of the day. i bring the can back into the garage, same with the saw. it doesn't ride in the back of the truck all day and all night. its not that its not used, i just take care of it. when i am done filling the saw, the litte red cap goes back on. when my primary can gets low. i funnel a gallon or 2 over , from teh secondary. so i am not opening the ,not every day can up, to suck moisture from the air. its nothing cool and showy for a gas can but it works. i write on the outside for stihl chainsaws only. only this can is to be used to fill any 2 cycle equiptment.

1635686327314.png

How do you do the fogging?

i use ethanol low grade gas , i change the fuel line every late summer. i have 2 of these jugs. i keep the 1 with the spout on it and the other i keep the black sealed lid on it. when i am done at the end of the day. i bring the can back into the garage, same with the saw. it doesn't ride in the back of the truck all day and all night. its not that its not used, i just take care of it. when i am done filling the saw, the litte red cap goes back on. when my primary can gets low. i funnel a gallon or 2 over , from teh secondary. so i am not opening the ,not every day can up, to suck moisture from the air. its nothing cool and showy for a gas can but it works. i write on the outside for stihl chainsaws only. only this can is to be used to fill any 2 cycle equiptment.

View attachment 938270
Nice looking plastic fuel can , like the double handle design . I still utilize the old Eagle double walled metal cans for gas & yellow plastic for diesel . Yours must be sealing it well to prevent phase separation that long with the lower octane level & no fuel conditioner . I have to go online to see availability up North here . I also use low grade 87-89 octane in my lawn mowers / trimmers & low compression saws . 91 octane in my 346 & 357 xps & Dolmar 5105H & 7910 . However I have always used a fuel conditioner . I have a 200 imp. Gal. storage tank that even within a cool / dark ambient garage requires religious conditioner / stabilizer , same with my Diesel Storage Tank . Thanks for the update .

The only real issue had with my R5 was the need to decarbonize the exhaust baffles annually & repack them with a little steel wool to reduce the annoying rattles that was produced from time to time . I was accustom to the poor ignition system , since I previously owned a 69 Kawasaki Blue Streak H1-500 followed by a 72 H2-750 which thankfully had CDI ignition & front disc brakes ! Nothing like the smell of Bel-Ray in the morning , well maybe the sweet aroma of Klotz-R caster ! lol. ;) P.S. ran a few Maico , a Bultaco - Sherpa !
Ahh yes, almost forgot about crudded up baffles. They were a part of a tune-up on all 2-strokes and often had to use a slide hammer to remove them. Love the look of a Sherpa but never rode one. I did ride a Cota over a scrapped VW beetle once. The Yamaha dealer also sold Greeves so I got a 380 twin pipe to race, a real oddball that got a lot of WTF attention. I moved to another dealer who sold Montesa and was given a VR model and later on the Enduro. Wish I would have had the chance to run a Bultaco, Husqvarna, and CZ.

Ahh yes, almost forgot about crudded up baffles. They were a part of a tune-up on all 2-strokes and often had to use a slide hammer to remove them. Love the look of a Sherpa but never rode one. The Yamaha dealer also sold Greeves so I got a 380 twin pipe to race, a real oddball that got a lot of WTF attention. I moved to another dealer who sold Montesa and was given a VR model and later on the Enduro. Wish I would have had the chance to run a Bultaco, Husqvarna, and
Remember the British Greeve's , stout looking , never saw one up close Montesa was another bike I always was intrigued in however never rode one . I did run a Husquarna 360 , fast enduro moly frame , girling shocks . I personally owned a Cz-250 moto-x fast bike for its time , 1st bike I had with air assist rear shocks . My favorite dirt bike was my Hondaka 125 Super Rat ! I raced it for 2 yrs in competition & faired quite well lol. I thank God we did not have Efuel back then . The brass carb internals of the time caused enough tuning issues with the high octane fuel of the day lol. Thanks for the memories , the late 60,s & early 70,s were a blast ! :blob2:

I use ethonal free in all my small engines
Hi Bryan- Have you tried the ASPEN fuel yet, at least (5) year shelf life and (3) year after opening comes in the following sizes- quart, gallon, 5 gallon, 16gallon and 55 gallon? If your using non-ethanol fuel it wouldn't hurt to use B3C products or Startron to help keep the fuel from varnishing. I work for a distributor in Pennsylvania and we have had a really good response to both. -Todd

Remember the British Greeve's , stout looking , never saw one up close Montesa was another bike I always was intrigued in however never rode one . I did run a Husquarna 360 , fast endure moly frame , girling shocks . I personally owned a Cz-250 moto-x fast bike for its time , 1st bike I had with air assist rear shocks . My favorite dirt bike was my Hondaka 125 Super Rat ! I raced it for 2 yrs in competition & faired quite well lol. I thank God we did not have Efuel back then . The brass carb internals of the time caused enough tuning issues with the high octane fuel of the day lol. Thanks for the memories , the late 60,s & early 70,s were a blast ! :blob2:
I wanted a Hodaka real bad when I was starting out. The dealers must have been too far away. I loved the growl of the CZ's straight cut primary gears, a sound that no other bike had. Such a weird thing to like.:rolleyes: A pic of one of my early CZ hero's bike, Jaroslav Falta. I took this pic in 1969 at Unadilla NY which is not too far from Woodstock. We tried our best to make Woodstock but for a reason I can't remember, it never happened.

Jaroslav Falta Unadilla.jpg

Latest posts

Back