Chainsaw Performance Modifications...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,

I'm planning on rebuilding my Husky 372 XP, and was wondering about 'Performance Modifications.
I'm guess that I never even thought that you could DO this to a chainsaw engine!

What, exactly can one do to a chainsaw engine, to boost performance?

I'm not talking about a full-blow competition engine, but mods that would give me more power for tree cutting and firewood production.
(I cut firewood and sell maybe 10-15 cords per Winter Season). Not to mention the 6+ cords that I need to stay toasty & warm, all Winter long!

Can anyone recommend any Sites out there, that would illustrate, and explain just WHAT mods can be done?

How much ($$$'s) do these mods co$t???

I don't want to see the finished saw cutting, etc, but see/visualize the actual engine work, and a possible explaination of why it's done, and what you'' get out of it!

I just want to understand this waaay cool stuff!!!

Thankx,
Irv Ambler - New Fairfield, CT ([email protected]) :rock:

2004 Husky 372 XP, currently needs a rebuild
2005 Stihl MS 250

Really the best place to start is a good book that will give you a thorough understanding of how a two stroke engine makes power, and the effects of various changes to the engine on the peak power and power band.

In very basic terms the engine compression ratio is increased to boost power, but at a certain point high octane fuel will be required to prevent detonation and port durations are increased as well as the carburator bored or replaced with a larger one and the exhaust ported to allow the engine to opperate at higher rpm.

You are on that website right now. The information is all here. Search function is your amigo.

Look above

Really the best place to start is a good book that will give you a thorough understanding of how a two stroke engine makes power, and the effects of various changes to the engine on the peak power and power band.

In very basic terms the engine compression ratio is increased to boost power, but at a certain point high octane fuel will be required to prevent detonation and port durations are increased as well as the carburator bored or replaced with a larger one and the exhaust ported to allow the engine to opperate at higher rpm.

Go to the Stickies and open the FAQ thread. There's tons of info linked in there, including porting.

Muffler modifications are generally a great way to start...and easy for the average mechanically-inclined person to carry out on their own.
Porting however has a learning curve, an unless you have a bunch of cylinders to practice on, you might want to have an experienced chainsaw builder help ya out...Brad Snelling ported my Stihl MS880, and added an unlimited coil...and I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! the reality is i sure didn't want to screw-up a very expensive cylinder, and Brad is well known and established here as an expert. There are several others here who are just as qualified...check out some of the porting threads...

first read about muffler mods, and how to adjust your carb. try that first.

If you like the improvements, send the saw to one of the guys on here that knows what their doing.

If you like that start reading everything you can about 2 stroke motors. Then check out porting 101 on the web site and everything else that has porting in the title.

Then drag out an old saw or find a cheap one and try a mild port. If you make it that far you will be hooked and keep going.

Back