Chainsaw photography

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new Chainsaw camera

Thought I'd show some info and a photo from my new "chainsaw" camera. It is a Canon A1300 HD (16mp) that I bought with a Groupon coupon for around $90. I was surprised at the quality of the close-ups so this camera now stays in the shop and I use it to document work on the saws.

Here is a close-up from the camera that I shot yesterday. I did no adjustments in PhotoShop except to crop the image down to 800 px.

attachment.php

and after minimal PhotoShop manipulation.
attachment.php

I prefer Canon point and shoot cameras (having used many other brands) as I think they have top quality lenses and their image adjustment algorithms are the best - giving sharp photos and great color accuracy. It's light weight and perfect pocket size.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just thought I'd show that you don't need a multi-thousand $ camera outfit to get good chainsaw photos.

View attachment 287041View attachment 287042View attachment 287043

Just thought I'd show that you don't need a multi-thousand $ camera outfit to get good chainsaw photos.

I agree. Basic understanding of the rules of composition and lighting are going to do a lot more for anyone's photo skills than an expensive camera. Most people don't get the best out of the camera they have, but still blame the camera when the picture turns out poorly.

It's kinda like blaming your chainsaw when the tree falls on your pickup.

I agree. Basic understanding of the rules of composition and lighting are going to do a lot more for anyone's photo skills than an expensive camera. Most people don't get the best out of the camera they have, but still blame the camera when the picture turns out poorly.

Well, it ain't the pick-ups fault.:rolleyes2:

Thought I'd show some info and a photo from my new "chainsaw" camera. It is a Canon A1300 HD (16mp) that I bought with a Groupon coupon for around $90. I was surprised at the quality of the close-ups so this camera now stays in the shop and I use it to document work on the saws.

Here is a close-up from the camera that I shot yesterday. I did no adjustments in PhotoShop except to crop the image down to 800 px.

and after minimal PhotoShop manipulation.

I prefer Canon point and shoot cameras (having used many other brands) as I think they have top quality lenses and their image adjustment algorithms are the best - giving sharp photos and great color accuracy. It's light weight and perfect pocket size.

Taking pictures of cameras with cameras that's just plain craziness :dizzy: !

I have a lightbox set up that I have used in the past. 7Oaks is that what you're using or is it a simple backdrop with extra lighting?

Taking pictures of cameras with cameras that's just plain craziness :dizzy: !

I have a lightbox set up that I have used in the past. 7Oaks is that what you're using or is it a simple backdrop with extra lighting?

Yeah K
I tried scanning the camera and that didn't work very good. LOL. So I pulled out the thousands of dollars worth of Nikon gear a d took the photos of the $90 camera with that!!! I'm kinda crazy I know!

To shoot the chain I just put a red (kinda clean) shop rag on the work bench aimed the camera let it focus itself and let the little onboard flash do the rest. Have to admit I took about a doz shots before I got the one I wanted and it was back a ways from the subject but that's the one advantage of a 16mp camera you can crop in.

Of course I've used much fancier set-ups but in retirement I'm way into simplicity.

As the saying goes, "Since when isn't good enough - good enough".

Vintage Porsche owners in the great white north are a bit more pragmatic, eh?

I have a new lock screen pic on my iPhone...

attachment.php

I can't take any credit for the shot, nor do I know its provenance. I came across it while researching options for carrying a saw on my snowmobile. Would love to learn the details, tho'!

Last edited:
attachment.php

I have never looked at this thread until today because of thinking about getting a new camera and looks like I won't have to look too far. How does the cannon A1300 do in lower light situations such as piston pics through the exhaust port? I can never seem to get the pic I am after with mine. Even with macro it's difficult for it to focus and get the shot I am after.

I have never looked at this thread until today because of thinking about getting a new camera and looks like I won't have to look too far. How does the cannon A1300 do in lower light situations such as piston pics through the exhaust port? I can never seem to get the pic I am after with mine. Even with macro it's difficult for it to focus and get the shot I am after.

Like all point and shoot cameras not the best as it doesn't adjustable ISO. However, if you throw a little light on the subject it works just fine. What is very helpful is that if you push the shutter button down half way it puts up a green box (sometimes two or more) that indicates where it is measuring the light and focus. With a little patience you can move the camera around and get the exposure and focus where you want them.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back