Chainsaw (Poulan 2150) Not Running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vs1392

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok. Heres the problem. I have a Poulan 2150 thats giving me some problems now. About a week ago, I posted a similar thread and was advised to clean the carb. I opened up the saw and checked the carb. The carb looked like it had never been used. The fuel lines were somewhat brown, so I pinched the lines while pushing the primer bulb, and released the fuel line. The fuel passed through, so there is no gas line blockage. The sparkplug was dirty, so I cleaned it and replaced it. I closed all the saw up. Then I turned the high and low adjustment screws 1 turn left from the right stop point.(360 degrees, not a 180 half turn) The saw cranked up like a miracle in one pull!!!!!(when in choke) I adjusted the idle screw so that the chain just about wont turn. It would idle perfectly. I then pulled the trigger. A lower blurbing type sound came out of the engine like it was about to die. I let go of the trigger and it idled again . I then turned off the choke and the engine immediately died. Did this bout 3 times. WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!! Please help me as soon as possible. Thanks a whole lot. I appreciate all of your responses

Make sure the exhaust is not plugged. Turn the L screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn to left(possibly more), you will probably have to increase the idle speed screw when you richen up low. Once you get the thing to idle play with the H screw, sounds like you will have to turn it left. If none of this works disconnect and plug the lines to the primer bulb and try again, I have had primer bulbs cause grief and it will run with it's lines blocked so you can eliminate it from the possible causes.

my recently 141 did almost the similiar thing follow the advice of Stihl 041 super before doing anything to the low side. Sounds like it may not be getting enough fuel.

Remember the Poulans are run lean for emissions purposes and so they burn up and you have to buy another one. Richen it up and all should be fine.

Kodiakfisher

So i should only turn the L screw 1/4, not 1? And the muffler is clean like new. Any more suggestions? I really dont want to spend the money on a new saw.

vs1392 I would suggest re-reading the previous two posts the bogging when you hit the throttle doesn't sound like a low speed jet problem that bogging is likely due to a H speed jet needing adjustment.

kodiakfisher

vs1392 said:
So i should only turn the L screw 1/4, not 1? And the muffler is clean like new. Any more suggestions? I really dont want to spend the money on a new saw.
Try to turn the H screw further out/left from the one turn out position - just a little at a time until it revs nicely and "blubbers"/four-cycles slightly at full trottle, out of wood.

The choke should not be on!

OH! I just read another form and remembered something! I had been running the saw on regular gasoline without any other additives (2-cycle oil!) for about 8 hours of use? Could this be a problem with the not starting or revving?

If you ran it on straight gas, you're gonna want a whole new saw, its cheaper than replacing the cylinder, and piston on the saw you've got. a saw run on straight gas, will be toast internally, so its not easily repaired, and a miracle it didnt just seize up tight.

vs1392 said:
OH! I just read another form and remembered something! I had been running the saw on regular gasoline without any other additives (2-cycle oil!) for about 8 hours of use? Could this be a problem with the not starting or revving?

Eight hours? I guess you picked a good saw to learn that lesson on. Don't repeat it on the next one.

Well, I tried and opened up the bottom of the carb, and I found a black seal with a metal curcular disc in the center. I took the seal out to inspect. It was soft and pliable like rubber should be. I then put the seal back on the bottom of the carb, and replaced the bottom plate. Now that I did that, everytime I press the primer bulb, gas leaks out from somewhere in the carb, It dosen't seem to be from the bottom plate, but it most likely is. What did I do wrong? By the way, the saw was working fine perfectly on regular gas, untill I started putting 2 cycle gas in there. The saw slowed down but did run during the transition. But now it doesnt work at all. Could yall please help me because I dont want to spend the money on a new chainsaw right now. Thanks for all your help so far. I really appreicate it.

Save yourself the headache. Walk to the nearest trash depository and drop off that saw. 8 hours of running on straight gas has ruined it beyond anything you can fix by messing with the carburetor. Those saws can be had all day long on ebay for cheap. Find another cheap new one and buy it. I see you're in Louisiana. Any chance you are trying to clean up hurricane damage? If so, spend a little and get yourself a decent 40-50cc saw for around $250. Husqvarna 345. Dolmar PS-401. Stihl MS210. Echo CS440. Or better yet, pick up a used pro saw over 50cc in the same price range.

Sounds like you found the diaphragm.
Don't throw the saw away. Get another just like it so you have a heap of spare parts. You have ignition, blade, chain, sprocket, clutch, bearings, body parts (saw body parts *looks around*) carburetor, lines, filters, chain break... you get the picture.

The piston, rings, and cylinder are toast and your muffler is probably crammed full of "durachrome".

Some tips; Make sure you mix in the fuel container, never mix in the gas tank. Get some protective gear. (Hard hat, chaps, hearing protection, and a good set of gloves for starters.) Never let the tip of the bar touch anything while cutting. Let the saw do the work, don't force anything.

I know you don't want to buy another but I am afraid that's where you sit right now. Sorry to hear that, I truely wish I could help you more but I can't.

Check with us in a few days, one of us might be able to sell you something used but serviceable.

vs1392 said:

Ok, I dont claim to be an expert by any means, but i know my way around a saw.

There is no way that thing ran for 8 hours on straight gas.

Show me a saw or any 2 cycle that runs that long on straight gas w/o seizing & i will eat it.

Ive never had the pleasure, but I would think a saw on straight gas would not go long under load.

He probably means he worked for eight hours with the saw, meaning the saw was not running the full eight hours, especially if they were doing storm clean up. It's not like a saw has an hour meter!

How was it able to idle in the beginning of the thread? Heck, propper idling seems to be the hard part with some of these saws.

Maybe we should have him just take the muffler off and describe what he sees when he takes the plug out and pulls lightly on the starter cord. If it's terminal he gets to actually see what happens when running straight gas. This leaves a very memorable impression.

I've seen lawn-boy engines spit metal into the muffler... and other things... If he has a computer he may have a digital camera and send a photo?

I'm pretty sure he needs to properly reinstall the diaphragm, but thats no great deal.

it did run 4 eight hours on regular gas, and then it started giving problems after I put in the 2 cycle gas. It is for sure an engine that needs 2 cycle oil b/c it says that on the gas cap. And, yes, this saw is for cleanup after hurricane rita.

vs1392 said:
It is for sure an engine that needs 2 cycle oil b/c it says that on the gas cap.

Never mind what the gas cap says, what does the owners manual say? It will give instructions on how to mix the 2-stroke oil with the proper amount of fuel. Hell, all Poulan's come out of the box with a small bottle of 2-stroke to mix with gasoline.

Be very specific here... When you say "regular" gas, do you mean straight gasoline and no 2-stroke mix? When you say you added 2-stroke, did you finally mix it in the gas container? Or did you add it right to the gas tank of the saw? When you say the sparkplug was "dirty", what was on it? Was it wet? Covered in black oily crap? Sooty lookin' crap?

I think it is the consensus here that if you ran that saw on straight gas (no 2-stroke oil mixed in it), the cylinder, piston, rings, and probably rod bearings are shot.

If you do end up buying a new saw, make sure you find someone with chainsaw experience that can show you how to properly mix 2-stroke oil with gasoline. Not trying to sound degrading or anything like that, but I would not want you to spend the money on another saw and do the same thing.

Trust me... if you did forget to mix 2-stroke oil with the gasoline, you are not the first to do it. Good luck.

Gary

Back