Chainsaw (Poulan 2150) Not Running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you should do the following. It helped me find the prob with my crapsman saw.
Try to lift the saw by the starting cord. If the cord just pulles out and the saw stays on the ground, it means you don't have compression. That is probably because your piston, ring and cylinder are scored (scratched deeply and many times). To varify, remove the muffler and heat sinks (remember the order and how they go back on) look inside and see iff the piston is damaged.
Ifso, and the saw is still under warranty, bring it back(don't mention running without oil) Sears just put a new piston, cylinder and ignition mod in mine, for free. It took about 2 weeks more or less. You will still have the same junk saw like me, but what the **** if I cut 2 days worth of wood with it I am better off then I was whenit was broke. I realize you probably need a saw now so do what I did and buy a pro quality saw that will give little or no trouble and use the junk one if needed. Get it?
Ofcourse my saw stopped running at all ,choke or no choke so the symptoms are a bit different from yours. But I too don't belive a 2 stroke can run for hours with out oil mixxed in without doing piston damage.
Good luck

jerseydevil said:
Ifso, and the saw is still under warranty, bring it back(don't mention running without oil) Sears just put a new piston, cylinder and ignition mod in mine, for free.

Hey isn't there a word for this?

what is that word?

Its coming to me....

oh yeah the word is fraud. :jester: :bday:

If this troll doen't know to use oil in a two stroke he should be be demoted to a rock tied on a stick or something
The saw is junk you broke it be a man and take responsiblity

Lucky

The Breakdown

I was buisy for a few days. Heres the final breakdown. I left the saw and pressed the primer bulb a few times and let the saw sit there. I saw no evidence of leaking gas from the carb. To clairify the fuel thing, I used the saw for about 7 hours of runtime (the engine was on) on regular fuel (strait from the pump to the engine) The saw will crank up and idle perfectly with the choke off. I full the trigger and it dies instantly. You all requested a picture of the engine, so here it is. What is wrong? The engine seems fine to me although it used to run in plain gasoline. Look at the pictures and tell me what you think. I am free this weekend to do any repairs that you all suggest.
saw picture

Are you using an adjustable wrench to take the plug out and reinstall it???
If so stop, and get the correct size plug wrench!

You may want to pull the muffler and look into the exhaust port and submit a photo of that finding also.

No, I am using the correct size plug wrench. What will u see besides a hole for the exhaust port?

I'm not sure if this isn't just another member trying to punk everyone under an assumed name.

However, if it isn't and you really are genuinely asking these questions, I've one question and one answer for you.

Why didn't you read the instructions that came with the saw. Even someone who has no experience of 2 strokes would soon realise that you have to mix the gas with oil?

If you have used straight gas for the hours you state, contact Guinness, I'm sure they can add you to next year's book and you have definitely Phuck'd the motor.

No, seriously, I want to know how to fix the saw. I just wasn't paying attention when fueling the saw before. The saw Idles, but doesn't rev up, so I think the engine is fine, but just needs some fixing or tuning. I just want to know how to tune or what to repair in the saw. If you tell me an answer, and the saw works, I wont ask questoins anymore.

If you ran it that long on straight gas, the engine ran without any lube. There is virtually no hope it did not sustain damage. If you pull off the muffler and look in through the exhaust port, you are almost certain to find the piston, ring(s), and probably cylinder are damaged. Idling but not revving up does not mean your engine is ok and just needs to be "tuned". Your saw is almost certainly damaged. Checking the piston will confirm it. The only way to fix it is to repair the damage you caused, or throw it in the corner and buy a new one.

Ok. Thanks everyone for your help. I just guess I will have to give up on this saw. I will try to repair it myself now and if not, i guess it will go to trash. :-(((( I will have to buy a new saw then ----$$$$ :-(

If you seriously want to repair this saw, then you need to perform the checks suggested to you. You haven't given us anything new on which to make recommendations to proceed with on fixing it. Start by pulling the muffler, and then looking at the piston, then report back and we can help you go from there. If your piston is scored and it only has 30 pounds of compression, tuning the carb will not help it to run.

Poulan parts aren't expensive, and while they are basically throw away saws if you have to pay someone to fix it, by doing the work yourself, you can fix this saw and learn some valuable insight about the mechanics of the saw.

vs1392 said:
Ok. Thanks everyone for your help. I just guess I will have to give up on this saw. I will try to repair it myself now and if not, i guess it will go to trash. :-(((( I will have to buy a new saw then ----$$$$ :-(

Dude, don't go away mad. If you decide to try and fix this saw (which IMHO is a waste of time), go with what Timberpig suggested. But serioulsly, you have smoked the piston, cylinder, rings and bearings in that saw. For what it will cost to have it repaired, you can have another junk saw from Wal-Mart.

After you fix it or replace it, don't make the same mistake twice. Find someone with experience with a saw to show you how to properly mix 2-stoke oil with gasoline. There should be quite a few people down your way runnin' chainsaws. Just ask man...

Gary

I just worked on one of these 36cc Poulans yesterday. It would idle, but not rev up. I pulled the muffler to look at the piston/cylinder. The cylinder was fine, but the muffler has two small slits where the exhaust exits, and they were plugged with carbon. I cleaned them out and then took a screwdriver and made the slits about 3 times as wide. After that she sounded like no 36cc Poulan I've ever heard.

Anyway, pull the muffler. It is really simple. Just remove the two bolts. Look in the cylinder throught the port, and if by chance you don't see terrible scratches running the length of the bore and the piston, check the muffler while you have it off.

Oh. Thans Tony for that hint. Ill do that right now and get back to you on that. Thanks a whole lot.

I opened up the muffler and looked at the two slits that let exhaust out. I put a screwdriver in both of them, and they were clean. I also looked inside the engine through the muffler port. The metal that I could see inside was very smoothe. There were no scratches what so ever. So I believe that running the engine on regular gas didn't harm it too much. What else could be the problem? (I can't take a picture of inside the engine through the muffler port because my camera won't focus properly on it.) Is there a chance I could save the saw?

Did you turn the engine over while looking in the port to move the piston up and down so you could see what the piston and ring looks like. You may have been looking at the back wall of the cylinder when you were seeing shiny metal, or the piston skirt, possibly.

I had a Poulan 2050 (same engine as the 2150).. I ran it on the proper mix fuel and I got about 30 hours out of the saw. When I pulled the muffler I could not see any scoring either (I turned the engine over). I sent the saw in for warranty repairs. They had to replace the whole engine.... These saws are usually wound out from factory (running lean) and that is what causes the premature failure. I knew my saw was running lean when I recieved it (as the warranty states I wasnt allowed to touch the settings so I let them be).. Now in your case you didnt mix the gas at all ! I managed to get my saw running with the engine blew up. (poured a drop of engine oil in the cylinder put the plug back in and pulled it over). Im guessing the engine oil upped the compression. It didn't take long for it to die once I got it running though.
There is a complete engine on ebay that may fit your saw ! Item number: 7718057868... It apears to be assembled and all all you would need to do is put it in.. It says it was removed from a Poulan 1950 but I think it will fit your saw..

Just to let you know how lean the poulans are. I just got a poulan pro 220 from TX. It still had limiter caps on and was a 2001 year. The H was set at 1/2 turn out from needle seated postion and could only be turned to 3/4 max with caps on. I pulled the muffler and took out the baffle and screen and opened the back holes with the screwdriver too. It took just past 1 1/4 turns to get the 4 stroking sound you talk about. Just showing 1/2 turn from factory seems to lean. The rpm's it was doing put the fear of the lean condition in my mind too. Now I feel better about it being alittle richer.

Back