Cheated death today....just got lucky is the only reason I am still here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He used his powers of levitation to not ground out the circuit through his body, no dish washing gloves needed if you can do that.

Sam

Old Jeti powers, learned long ago and far away, we need more of his kind out in the brush so we dont have to get so close to the trees:msp_biggrin:

Cary

I pushed up the phone line with a forked stick so the log truck could get under it...

0330121325.jpg

Charles Atlas jr.

i can just feel the power

He used his powers of levitation to not ground out the circuit through his body, no dish washing gloves needed if you can do that.

Sam

Fascinating. I'd like to learn that too.

I was thinking that the phone lines aren't going to scorch you, so why Oldtimer described the routine as a near death experience? I figured it must have something to do with all the O's and 1's traveling through the wires. Or something.

I like turtles.

Do you use them instead of levitation? I'm confused.

I used dishwasher gloves last time but not on my hands...... I just stood on them.

I can't levitate ....yet, but I'm working on it in my spare time...... online course.

And stuff,

Sam

Had a bad dream last night...

I picked up an old fashioned phone, you know, the one's that had a cord from the handset to the base?

Fokker came alive with 10K volts and tried to refry my beans! NO WIRE IS SAFE TO TOUCH, remember that.

Most smarts people :msp_wink:would just let some air outta that trucks tyres to pass under a low wire.
10 volts Ha, my wife's vibrator got more watts.
Never fear death mr reaper will catch you when your not looking so dont go awaiting.

The standard voltage for the telephone system is 48 volts DC. Ringing voltage is much higher, around 90 volts AC.

Also these lines run for many miles. There could be a lightning strike elsewhere which could send very high voltage through lower voltage lines.

It is basically a good idea to assume all overhead electrical lines contain deadly voltage. [Death can occur from any shock that carries enough current. Small currents (70–700 mA) usually trigger fibrillation in the heart]...

Electrocution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The standard voltage for the telephone system is 48 volts DC. Ringing voltage is much higher, around 90 volts AC

My Mom once told me about when she and my Dad were first married and they lived in a little trailer. The pipes froze, of course, and Dad was attempting to wire up some pipe tape.
Apparently he got into the phone wire some how because it was going fine until the phone rang. She heard the thump of Dad's head hitting the bottom of the trailer along with a long string of cuss words.

The standard voltage for the telephone system is 48 volts DC. Ringing voltage is much higher, around 90 volts AC.

Also these lines run for many miles. There could be a lightning strike elsewhere which could send very high voltage through lower voltage lines.

It is basically a good idea to assume all overhead electrical lines contain deadly voltage. [Death can occur from any shock that carries enough current. Small currents (70–700 mA) usually trigger fibrillation in the heart]...

Ya right we been having some fun with this but yer right low volts can kill easy and tele wires can get ya if taken for granted or misused handled.
Often the support wire is steel cable and its earthed back to the pole it can induct power or be set up wrong and while yer thinking insulated wire no harm the Catenary Cable wire will spank you

Ether I am still drunk or... dont' get it... Why is this a close call?

This wasn't a close call. Oldtimer was just being himself. But Oldtimer thinks that doing the same things with house drops is okay....as long as he wears rubber gloves and uses a fibreglass pole.

Last edited:
'Nother story from the boat. This happened on my watch.

IC (phone tech) comes down into our spaces to fix a bunk phone. It's a busy day and the watch officer is processing work orders, and doesn't notice the IC working next to him for a few minutes. Finally, the movement catches his attention, and he turns to the IC and asks, "the hell are you doing?" IC replies "fixin' this hyar phone". Watch officer says, "where's your tagout?" to which the IC replies "don't need one, it's less than 30V." Watch officer is getting mad, and says "It rings at 90VDV. You need a tagout for that.". IC says "it's tagged out." Round and round they go, watch officer on the verge of throwing the IC out bodily, when the dude tenses up and starts jerking, his hand still in the guts of the phone. "IT'S RINGING", he stammers. Watch officer kicks him out, tells him to come back with his chief and a tagout. Moments later, one of our guys bangs into the room, furious, shouting, "Awright, which one of you jack-bones ain't answerin' the damn phone?"

Hilarity ensued.

Latest posts

Back