Chevy be Ford.. sorry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregonsaw

Fledgling Saw hoarder
Reaction score
I’ve a question and I don’t want to search a lot. Husky 395 or Stihl 661? Don’t give me the typical brand myopic answer. I saw a video of a tuber, using a 661 on a tree and then switching to a 395 for the felling cut. Any reason why a 395 would be better in that area then a661?

Go to a couple of saw shops- pick up the models you are asking about and buy the one you like best.
For me the 395 would win- rear handle is beefier and fits the hand better, bit heavier than a 661, but also has a bit more grunt, better antivibe and better filtration.
The 661 has a clear fuel tank, inboard clutch, better heat deflection from the front handle area when the powerhead is on its side when falling.
Both are damn good saws and tonnes of timber falls from vertical to horizontal thanks to either model every season.

If you want one just because you want a big saw- either will do. If you want one for mainly milling, the 395 might have the edge. For production felling- either will work and it is a personal preference thing. Dealer support seems to be a big deciding point for you guys- not so much of a thing over here.

I think a better comparison would be between a 390xp and a 661.
A 395 is more saw, can pull a bigger bar, and is significantly heavier. Being that we are using the car analogy is like comparing a 400 small block to a 427 big block. They are close displacement wise but different animals all together.

I have a 661 and a 394, and my opinion is varied. The 394 has a slight edge on power, (slight) and it's the better saw for milling without a doubt, but I use it almost never because I hate the way it handles.
My 394 feels >5lbs heavier than it really is to me after a full day of use.
I just got the 661 a year and change ago, but have run over 35 gallons through it, and find myself choosing it over all other saws ( 20+ saws in 55-94cc) I own including for small stuff.
I don't have comparative numbers, but using after a full day I come out tired and disliking the 394. for felling, it's a boat anchor. If a tree fell on it I would not cry, (which is why that guy probably swapped saws. lmao) 394/95 is a Very well built saw, and I chalk this handling data up to my personal preference. yours may differ.
after using the 661, I am still tired, but don't hate the saw, and I gladly pick it up again and again. My 661 puts a smile on my face everytime:)
661 is significantly less fuel thirsty, but both these saws drink fuel pretty fast and I don't consider this a driving factor in the choice.
394 has a better oiler, especially on max inch bars.
With a 36" bar wearing full comp burried in oak the 394 is a full second faster in my tests, but the 661 motor temp is cooler after the cut.

Gre
I think a better comparison would be between a 390xp and a 661.
A 395 is more saw, can pull a bigger bar, and is significantly heavier. Being that we are using the car analogy is like comparing a 400 small block to a 427 big block. They are close displacement wise but different animals all together.
Great comparison. If your falling and carrying the saw a lot snd generally use a 36 inch or under bar, get the 661 or 390. If big stuff is being cut requiring the use of above 36 inch bars regularly, the 395 really shines. Or as been said, the 395 is gonna be better for milling.

Thanks guys. There are no Husqvarna dealers close here anymore. They are relegated to farm stores and such. Pity.

Thanks guys. There are no Husqvarna dealers close here anymore. They are relegated to farm stores and such. Pity.
State street stihl is a husky dealer too.... but IMO the best saw shop around is Cascade outdoor power equipment. Husky, stihl, echo, honda..

State street stihl is a husky dealer too.... but IMO the best saw shop around is Cascade outdoor power equipment. Husky, stihl, echo, honda..
Hmm, didn’t see any husqvarna stuff at State st the last time I was there. Is the cascade place in Lebanon? I forgot about them.

I’ve got a Ported 660 and a 390xp. I just don’t want to over work either if I get a chance to mill.

Back